[ROM] Eclipse v2.3 (7/25/12)

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
This is my first attempt at ROMming. I spent the better part of yesterday following these instructions:

using scattered howto's (Thank you Moon Shadow) and forum posts. Where I got stuck was step 4. I could not get the OTA 2.3.5 update to install. I SBF'd back to 2.3.4 and did a factory reset twice, and I still couldn't get the OTA update to take. I tried applying the update via the "stock recovery" (took me quite a bit of googling to figure this one out), and that didn't take, then I tried doing it the way the verizon intended, OTA, that didn't take, and finally, I tried it with the "non-stock recovery", and that didn't take either. The error I was getting said something about not being able to verify current the current system, or something like that. So that makes me think that something was wrong with my 2.3.4 OS. Could something have been wrong with the SBF file? Fortunately, I backed up my original (Rooted) 2.3.5, so I'm back at square one.

So, I have two questions:
1: I'm now in my old 2.3.5 install that has been rooted for over a year, but I've installed a lot of crap on it. Since this has the correct kernel, can I just install install eclipse 2.3 without SBFing back to 2.3.4? (basically just follow steps 7-10)
yes, remove rootkeeper su backup before installing rom
Am I in danger of bricking my phone?
no, or not hard brick, worse case you will have to flash sbf, just don't flash with a low battery
2: What went wrong yesterday? Could there have been something wrong with my 2.3.4 file?
possibly that's why you should verify md5 check sum
Procedure?
most likely, did you use zurgrush? that removes files needed for update
Could Verizon have found a way to prevent updating a rooted phone?
no
I did very little other than provide minimal information to get access to my phone, (It forced me to make a phone call to automatically activate the phone, then I had to give the google store my credentials before I could install the rootkeeper)

Maybe this whole process would have been easier in linux, I wouldn't have had to install all the drivers and crap (some of which seems kinda shady... whenever I plug my phone into my computer, a browser window now opens up and tries to get me to d/l some motorolla manager tool) . I'm a linux user, but I found Moon Shadow's (very well written) Howto's first. God I hate Windows!
use magic md5 root method for 2.3.5

edit:changed link

Last edited:

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
This is my first attempt at ROMming. I spent the better part of yesterday following these instructions:

using scattered howto's (Thank you Moon Shadow) and forum posts. Where I got stuck was step 4. I could not get the OTA 2.3.5 update to install. I SBF'd back to 2.3.4 and did a factory reset twice, and I still couldn't get the OTA update to take. I tried applying the update via the "stock recovery" (took me quite a bit of googling to figure this one out), and that didn't take, then I tried doing it the way the verizon intended, OTA, that didn't take, and finally, I tried it with the "non-stock recovery", and that didn't take either. The error I was getting said something about not being able to verify current the current system, or something like that. So that makes me think that something was wrong with my 2.3.4 OS. Could something have been wrong with the SBF file? Fortunately, I backed up my original (Rooted) 2.3.5, so I'm back at square one.
you may have restored your 2.3.5 data but nandroid does not restore the 2.3.5 kernel only 2.3.5 update zip or sbf can do that, so you need to flash 2.3.4 sbf and update or use 2.3.5 sbf, then root with magic md5 root

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
EDIT:
Just tried following steps 7-10, and it failed.
Also, I think that maybe my mistake was (1), using zergush instead of pete's root tool (Don't know what the difference is)
yes zerg removes required files need to update
(2), failing to temporarily unroot phone before OTA update.
maybe it is unclear, whether that is helps or not, temp unrooting seems to help

convergence

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the prompt response! Unfortunately I just got called in to work, so I can't fiddle with it anymore today. It looks like your info might save me some time!

PS: I used the app called "System Recovery" (you have to be USB plugged into a *wall* not a computer to use it, and it requires root) to restore my original nandroid image. The System information claims that i'm on 2.3.5. Is it wrong?

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
Wow, thanks for the prompt response! Unfortunately I just got called in to work, so I can't fiddle with it anymore today. It looks like your info might save me some time!

PS: I used the app called "System Recovery" (you have to be USB plugged into a *wall* not a computer to use it, and it requires root) to restore my original nandroid image.
yes that is correct
The System information claims that i'm on 2.3.5. Is it wrong?
yes and no, nandroid can't restore the kernel on the DX2, but it can restore 2.3.5 system on the 2.3.4 kernel, if you install eclipse likely wifi will not work, among other problems

you should just flash 2.3.5 sbf with rsdlite
then root with one of the magic md5 methods
self extracting batch file (windows) preferred by most users
or the linux/slitaz boot img, (pc/mac/linux) (Droid2_D2G_DX_DX2-RootCD-2012.iso)

Last edited:

convergence

Reaction score
compare your kernel with this one
2.3.5 Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-00008-gc406305 hudsoncm@il93lnxdroid80
2.3.5 about phone screenshot

2.3.4 about phone screenshot

Yep, you were right.

I'm trying to root it now via the method you mentioned. It's not working though. There is a confusing moment when it says "waiting for device" then it reboots on it's own. When it's done, it says, "Rebooting phone, press any key when done". But it just rebooted, I'm not sure if it's supposed to reboot again or not (I think that at this point it's already rebooted twice). Once I hit any key, I get "rooting phone 1740.... push: not found... If you saw errors... rm failed for /system/prinstall/md5/magic.md5, Read-only file system... rm failed for... /app/magic, Read only file system... you phone should have rebooted to recover mode [it hasn't]..."

I think that the problem starts with "push not found" and for some reason it won't write to certain md5 magic files.

Last edited:

convergence

Reaction score
Nevermind! When I was finished composing the above message, I looked down, and my phone was in recovery mode. It just took an exceptionally long time. Anyway, I have eclipse booted up, and am in the setup process.

Thanks for the help!

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
yes, some error messages are normal

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk 2

convergence

Reaction score
So, at this point, if I install clockwork recovery (Which is I think open source) I can switch back and fourth between the stock ROM and eclipse (as long as I don't switch kernel versions) right?

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
bsr is included with eclipse, look in menu>settings>eclipse parts

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

convergence

Reaction score
Oh man, I love this ROM! I should have done this a long time ago. Worth the effort.

Duanevw

Reaction score
Hello, I have owned mine for over a year since my Droid went Zourh on me.

So is this the Rom you want to use in this Thread? I have nwver rooted a Android phone and Im on Gingerbread 2.3.5.

Thanks for any Suggestions what Rom I should flash and be happy with. It seems all the how-to on rooting and flashing are scattered everywhere on here ans seems a lot of people are using a different method. I just want to do the Process quickly and risk free as possible. would just like to follow one procedure at a time following a list of instructions right in order with no confusion. I'm very computer literate,etc. So A great rom for the X2 and a good straight Forward guide doing it the popular way.

THANKS if someone can get me going to experience my X2 all over again until a Spring purchase.

Duane and I have posted on here on ans off last 3 years.