Echo or reverb in phone calls

ryujin

Reaction score
I would just like to add that I am having the static issue when I talk to people. I do not have a bluetooth headset, and speaker phone seems to lessen the issue, but not fix it. I have Voice Privacy turned off, and I tried the *228 1, then 2 options. Callers on the other end hear crystal clear audio whether they call me, or I call them. (Landline, or mobile) My end I hear static, cutting out, and sometimes a teakettle whistling (regardless of who called who, and land or mobile) I really hope the 12/11 update fixes this, and occurs on 12/11. I haven't tried changing anything in the programming menu, as being an old MTS2000 user I know that bricking a Moto device is costly, and voids warranties if done via certain ways.

skuzz

Reaction score
According to leaked Verizon documents it's a known issue, power cycling should resolve the issue, and a patch is coming out in early December.

"Far End Echo" at the bottom of the last doc.

windstrings

Reaction score
According to leaked Verizon documents it's a known issue, power cycling should resolve the issue, and a patch is coming out in early December.

"Far End Echo" at the bottom of the last doc.

Great find.. thanks for sharing.. I tried to upload a word doc version that was only 2.4mb in size but it kept failing.

For anyone who wants it just right click on each page and "copy image" and paste it into word, then go to the next.. there are 5 pages.

moparharn

Reaction score
I changed the code to B after reading a post this morning

now my Syncsystem in the Ford Flex will not recognize my phone. Am I right to assume that this is the reason for this?

windstrings

Reaction score
I haven't tried changing anything in the programming menu, as being an old MTS2000 user I know that bricking a Moto device is costly, and voids warranties if done via certain ways.

Its very easy to bounce back and forth.. its a 3 choice selection.. by default its in the middle, drop the the bottom choice and exit, it will reboot the phone.

Just as easy to go back.. no harm done at all.

ryujin

Reaction score
I may give it a shot. Won't changing to vocoder only affect what my voice sounds like to others, and not what I hear?

windstrings

Reaction score
I may give it a shot. Won't changing to vocoder only affect what my voice sounds like to others, and not what I hear?

I get the impression it handles all or none... so if thats true, yes it handles both.

Enhanced Variable Rate Codec B - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://supportforums.motorola.com/...F435727DE3E17BF553B386.node0?start=0&tstart=0
I am not from Motorola but I can tell you that EVRC is chosen as default as most of the USA already uses EVRC. In some markets (dont know the number so I am stating some) like Atlanta they have EVRC-B set as preferred at the switching center. So regardless of what your phone is set at it will make the call in EVRC-B.
However if you change your phone to EVRC-B and you go to a market which does not yet support EVRC-B then your not going to be able to make calls at all. So I caution those that make the setting to EVRC-B.

What I am gathering for those that changed it to EVRC-B and it works better, it tells me that the switching center does NOT have EVRC-B as preffered ???? therefore your always stuck on EVRC as it may be set as preffered (unless you force it as shown in the post above to EVRC-B).

ryujin

Reaction score
I'm out in a more rural bumblef:icon_ banana:ck type area, so I don't think we will have EVRC-B. What does 13k do?

Edit: I also have a ticket open with Verizon's networking team to see what is going on.

Last edited:

skuzz

Reaction score
13k is the old Qualcomm PureVoice codec before EVRC came into existence. There was also an PureVoice 8k codec (bitrates) but that was the garbage one nobody ever liked.

windstrings

Reaction score
I'm out in a more rural bumblef:icon_ banana:ck type area, so I don't think we will have EVRC-B. What does 13k do?

I"ve wondered about that too.. I live out a bit about 40 min from a big city on the outskirts of a fairly small city and the EVRC-B seems to almost be worse.. but while Im at work or closer to town its great.

Maybe coincidence.. I dont know

juliem

Reaction score
Sorry if I'm repeating someone else, but there's another thread on the echo topic at the Moto forums. I tried rebooting, turning off voice privacy, dialing #228 (1 & 2), and pulling the battery, but nothing fixed the echo.

Next time the phone rings, I'll try the speakerphone trick. Really hoping that Verizon releases the update before 12/11--I've had multiple people call me on my landline since the echo is too annoying for them.

windstrings

Reaction score
juliem;27578I've had multiple people call me on my landline since the echo is too annoying for them.[/QUOTE said:
Speaking of landlines........

I was having the echo problem to another verizon customer on his cell and "I have no landline.. only my cell" and I called back from my cell to "their" landline and there was no echo anymore.

This makes me think cell towers may be involved.

Either an incompatibility issue with the new system or rather the droids firmware or settings, or there are just some towers that need some tweaking.

Remember everytime we reboot or pull the battery out and come back up.. our settings are still the same, our hardware is still the same and our software is basically still the same..... the main thing that changes is we relogon to the network and either get another tower or readdressed to different servers etc......

There are far too many variables to say its all the phones fault.. but since this OS working with Google is non-typical, I'm thinking compatibility issues until they tweak things either on our end or theirs or both.

For what its worth, I went back to the -B vocodec yesterday and all has been well so far!

fro

Reaction score
Quick fix for echo till the new SW push comes along

When you're in a call - toggle the speakerphone on and off (the lower right softkey in the in-call screen). Works like a champ every time I hear noise or the person on the far end complains of echo. Sure beats power cycling or pulling the battery! :motdroidhoriz:

windstrings

Reaction score
When you're in a call - toggle the speakerphone on and off (the lower right softkey in the in-call screen). Works like a champ every time I hear noise or the person on the far end complains of echo. Sure beats power cycling or pulling the battery! :motdroidhoriz:
Thanks... that will be worth a try if it happens again.... sounds like you don't even have to interrupt the call either?

If this works, its definitely a software issue in the phone.

fro

Reaction score
Yep....just quickly toggle in a call, things should be fine. If you want to make the problem happen and prove to yourself you can fix it, do the following:

1) If you haven't done so already, pair a Bluetooth device (headset or carkit, doesn't matter).
2) Connect a BT device (if you're doing step one, this one probably already happens). You'll see the little "teeth" on the BT icon on the top line of your Droid.
3) WITHOUT making any calls, disconnect the BT device (e.g. turn off the headset or carkit)
4) Now....make a call. It'll sound bad, probably on both ends.
5) Toggle the speakerphone & listen again.
6) Problem solved! :)