Ebay/ craigs list razr

ryanr509

Reaction score
Meid number on the RAZR is on the inside of the SD card/sim card door.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
It was this:

*#06#

and the HEX is the one you use

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
There's a number combo you can dial and it pops up... like #63*# or something... trying to find that. Maybe that's just a Moto thing though...

*#06#

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Also, there's some confusion as to what the "differences" are between IMEI, MEID, and ESN. For our purposes, the HEX of all three is the same number.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also, the only way to be sure the ESN is clean is be in the store to make the transfer.
You can buy the phone and the seller 10 minutes later can report it stolen.

Activate on the spot to block anyone else reporting the device on their account.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Also, the only way to be sure the ESN is clean is be in the store to make the transfer.
You can buy the phone and the seller 10 minutes later can report it stolen.

Activate on the spot to block anyone else reporting the device on their account.

Wow never thought about that, forget how terrible people can be to each other I guess.

OP
M

musclemilk

Reaction score
Thank u all it went smoothly we met at a Verizon store.

How does warranty work when buying used phones....if its under1 year old do I still have warranty?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank u all it went smoothly we met at a Verizon store.

How does warranty work when buying used phones....if its under1 year old do I still have warranty?

Glad to hear it... I discovered something last week that's going to make me leery of ever buying on CL again.

I had bought a brand new Inc2 to use for a brief period while I was waiting on another phone. The guy's story made sense as to why he had a brand new one and wasn't going to use it. I activated it and used it for about a week or so, no problem. I sold it to another guy once my new device came in, and guess what? He couldn't activate it b/c it had "unpaid" attached to it. The first guy I had purchased from evidently decided to drop Verizon and quit paying his bill during those few weeks. So even though it had been activated on my account, it didn't matter, b/c the ESN was still tied to the original guy's contract and bill.

Long story short - we tried everything to get it released and VZW wouldn't budge. Makes me worry a bit that any phone out there bought and sold using another avenue like CL or Swappa could have that happen to it at any time...

SallyC

Reaction score
Glad to hear it... I discovered something last week that's going to make me leery of ever buying on CL again.

I had bought a brand new Inc2 to use for a brief period while I was waiting on another phone. The guy's story made sense as to why he had a brand new one and wasn't going to use it. I activated it and used it for about a week or so, no problem. I sold it to another guy once my new device came in, and guess what? He couldn't activate it b/c it had "unpaid" attached to it. The first guy I had purchased from evidently decided to drop Verizon and quit paying his bill during those few weeks. So even though it had been activated on my account, it didn't matter, b/c the ESN was still tied to the original guy's contract and bill.

Long story short - we tried everything to get it released and VZW wouldn't budge. Makes me worry a bit that any phone out there bought and sold using another avenue like CL or Swappa could have that happen to it at any time...

That's a really strange story!!! I can understand where they wouldn't activate it if the most current owner was unpaid, but to leap frog back seems really unfair. It also seems like they should attach the "lean" on the person, not the phone. They have the person's Social Security number or some form of gov. ID I believe.

Good info.

OP
M

musclemilk

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this happen.

Anyone know if i still have warranty on this phone.....would i have to call verizon?

What if something with the phone starts acting strange?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's a really strange story!!! I can understand where they wouldn't activate it if the most current owner was unpaid, but to leap frog back seems really unfair. It also seems like they should attach the "lean" on the person, not the phone. They have the person's Social Security number or some form of gov. ID I believe.

Good info.

Yeah I was really surprised by it. It could've gone bad while it was activated on my line - in which case it would've stayed fine for a long time in a normal situation, I guess - as long as I didn't de-activate it. But there's gotta be some sort of statute of limitation on that. What if I'd had it activated on my line for a year and then sold it? By then the bill would've been sent to collections obviously, but who knows how that would've affected it. Very weird indeed, and unexpected.

Sorry to hear this happen.

Anyone know if i still have warranty on this phone.....would i have to call verizon?

What if something with the phone starts acting strange?

Sorry - didn't mean to ignore this question before.

You could check with Verizon, but generally speaking warranties (besides factory) don't transfer. Verizon has an "open enrollment" period where you can get added onto Asurion regardless of where you go the phone - it's simply added to your line. But that ended, I believe, on 4/30. I don't know if they do that more than once a year or not.

You could also look into a third party like Ensquared - but a lot of those places require some sort of proof of purchase and age of the device. So I'm not sure if that would work either. Hopefully someone who has actually done that can chime in here shortly.

ryanr509

Reaction score
I go through alot of phones buying them through Craigslist and I've always been able to put asurion insurance on them no problem

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I go through alot of phones buying them through Craigslist and I've always been able to put asurion insurance on them no problem

just calling and adding?

ryanr509

Reaction score
They usually ask if I want to keep insurnace when I switch the phone to my line at the Verizon store.