Easy Unroot Process for Droid X

onefast96svt

Reaction score
NM! I changed it to "text3" instead of "t ext3" and worked.

Also make sure you capitalized the S in superuser.apk. Did it 3 times before realizing.

Droid_Boi86

Reaction score
If you never modified your Droid X other than rooting it so you can use it wireless tether or other apps that need root - OR if you made a nandroid backup right after rooting and you can restore that backup, then the following process is the easiest one I have found (and just used) to unroot my Droid X. Note: This information was pulled from the Droid 2 forum and I take no credit, except for the extra detailed notes.

First off, if you rooted and made a Nandroid backup right after rooting, restore that backup. If you never used custom roms, etc, then don't worry about that part (just rooted to use some apps that require root).

Download a Terminal Emulator app from the marketplace.

- open your trusty terminal app (that's the terminal emulator you downloaded)
- you should see a $ symbol, now do the following (type each line exactly as writen after the "-" but do not type what is in the parenthesis)
- su (give a minute to ask for Superuser Permission. If it doesn't ask, go into Superuser Permissions and grant access to your Terminal Emulator and go back and retry this step)
- now you should see a # symbol (after each of the following steps is processed, you will see a #)
- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
- rm /system/bin/su
- rm /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- reboot your phone. Tada, no more root! To prove this, try opening wireless tether or another program needing root access and you will be rejected.

If anyone notices anything wrong on here, please let me know. If this was posted elsewhere in the DX forum area, I apologize for reposting, but I couldn't find it. I just wanted to make this easy for people to find.
i've been rooted for awhile now
and now, i am UNROOTED..
this works, tried my rooted app and it wont let me so thats good...now i can update...OTA

donnycouchpotato

Reaction score
that worked perfectly, however, I went to do the recent upgrade, and it says that my upgrade failed. Any suggestions.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
FYI, you can have root and do the OTA update. You must be on stock rom, all bloat intact, odexed, and remove bootstrap.

Tinninches

Reaction score
Awesome!

I'm having to exchange my phone out for a replacement and I tried your process step-by-step and used -t ext3 for both entries and it worked first time go!

Thanks again

dancedroid

SmokinAce

Reaction score
hey I just rooted my DX and was intending to install a ROM, but for some reason I am having SD card problems. Can I still unroot my phone without having a backup?

eptreyg

Reaction score
I also, after using z4root to root - am getting permission denied when I type su from the terminal emulator. Suggestions? Help? Complete newbie here.

Dark Overlord

Reaction score
FYI, you can have root and do the OTA update. You must be on stock rom, all bloat intact, odexed, and remove bootstrap.

ok...I am all confused with all this root, unroot etc.........

Last week I used Z4root to root my X. My intent was to load the Gingerbread leak.

So far I have done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but having run Z4root.

Today I read on Droid Life that a legit Gingerbread is available for download.

Sooooo....... the first line here confuses me..... Can I download the Verizon Gingerbread or not?

or should I just follow the first post here????

thanks

Droid_Boi86

Reaction score

ok...I am all confused with all this root, unroot etc.........

Last week I used Z4root to root my X. My intent was to load the Gingerbread leak.

So far I have done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but having run Z4root.

Today I read on Droid Life that a legit Gingerbread is available for download.

Sooooo....... the first line here confuses me..... Can I download the Verizon Gingerbread or not?

or should I just follow the first post here????

thanks

Okay...
if u are lookin to get the official GB, you'll have to do without root access for awhile.

But if ur lookin to have Root access, then u can go and flash the leaked verison with root.

...i dont kno the status of Gaining root access while already being on Gingerbread. so the option is urs...get the OTA and no root for some time..or go with the leaked verison

(Sent From a Rooted GB_DROID X)

JSWeathers

Reaction score
Ok, I did this, and it worked. But now I want to root it again. What do I do? (I've already tried just using SuperOneClick)

Thanks!

ekto21

Reaction score
i cannot for the life of me figure out how to allow the terminal emulator to be granted superuser permission. can anyone help me?

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
There appears to be a new place for su and busybox now that I rooted the latest 2.3.3.. Instead of them being in /system/bin, it appears to be in /system/xbin.. The unroot process still worked flawlessly.