Easy Unroot Process for Droid X

garryjr75

Reaction score
THANK YOU !!!! I was looking everywhere to unroot my droid x and couldn't find anything that looked SAFE !! This worked perfect back to 2.2 ota :) I reg just to say thank you..

<---- not a noob lol I don't ask I look first till i get ready to pull my hair out.. ha ha

ohh and it worked with the space ;)

Last edited:

dvsgod

Reaction score
your welcome. to help and be helped is what everyones here for.

Retriraver

Reaction score
Sorry I am a newbie, I have yo return my phone to Verizon for software issues. I did the ota to 2.2 then rooted. Now I need to unroot to return it to the store. I keep getting a message that superuser is read only. I get through all the steps and reboot and my phone is the same please help. I rooted using doroot for 2.2 Thanks

Having the EXACT same issue. I used doroot as well. I need to return my dx asap since its been 3 weeks since i got my replacement. It is saying I the superuser.apk is read only. I even tried to go in using root explorer and turn write permissions on. Still no cigar.... Someone please send me a guide to unroot my dx! even the long method... I cant seem to find directions for it...

dvsgod

Reaction score
Did you use terminal and type in the commands off the very first post in this thread?

catchacold

Reaction score
Thank you!

If you never modified your Droid X other than rooting it so you can use it wireless tether or other apps that need root - OR if you made a nandroid backup right after rooting and you can restore that backup, then the following process is the easiest one I have found (and just used) to unroot my Droid X. Note: This information was pulled from the Droid 2 forum and I take no credit, except for the extra detailed notes.

First off, if you rooted and made a Nandroid backup right after rooting, restore that backup. If you never used custom roms, etc, then don't worry about that part (just rooted to use some apps that require root).

Download a Terminal Emulator app from the marketplace.

- open your trusty terminal app (that's the terminal emulator you downloaded)
- you should see a $ symbol, now do the following (type each line exactly as writen after the "-" but do not type what is in the parenthesis)
- su (give a minute to ask for Superuser Permission. If it doesn't ask, go into Superuser Permissions and grant access to your Terminal Emulator and go back and retry this step)
- now you should see a # symbol (after each of the following steps is processed, you will see a #)
- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
- rm /system/bin/su
- rm /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- reboot your phone. Tada, no more root! To prove this, try opening wireless tether or another program needing root access and you will be rejected.

If anyone notices anything wrong on here, please let me know. If this was posted elsewhere in the DX forum area, I apologize for reposting, but I couldn't find it. I just wanted to make this easy for people to find.

WeedR

Reaction score
That's awesome. Thanks!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Swis21

Reaction score
superuser not detecting any term emu so right now I'm stuck with a hard stuck rooted dx. I really want to switch phones but want to unroot

OP
wrightperspective
Reaction score
superuser not detecting any term emu so right now I'm stuck with a hard stuck rooted dx. I really want to switch phones but want to unroot

What do you mean that the superuser is not detecting term emu. You just download the terminal emulator from the market and follow the instructions. I may be misunderstanding what you mean. Please explain in further detail. Thanks.

carbaugh15

Reaction score
Read-only Super user

Did anyone find a fix for /system/app/superuser.apk, Read-only file system? Need to unroot. Please let me know if anyone can help.
Thanks

Swis21

Reaction score

What do you mean that the superuser is not detecting term emu. You just download the terminal emulator from the market and follow the instructions. I may be misunderstanding what you mean. Please explain in further detail. Thanks.

Every time I type su it will say permission denied. I am just trying to un root and delete superuser from my phone.

DeniseSays

Reaction score
Sweet thanks :) Tried two different 'one touch' unroot methods which both said they worked and didn't. But this did. i feel better knowing I can easily root/unroot whenever.

onefast96svt

Reaction score
Im having problems unrooting. I get to the line rm /system/app/Superuser.apk and it says its read only. I went in and made executable also, and now it says not found. Does anyone have a clue as to what to try next?

Last edited: