Easiest way to ROOT Stock 2.1

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Royal2000H, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Royal2000H

Royal2000H New Member

Hey,

My brother has a stock 2.1 phone. Never been rooted/unrooted on 2.0.1.

What's the easiest way to get his phone rooted without losing data?

From what I understand, the full SBF file with RSDLite will give him rooted 2.0.1 but all his data will be wiped. The stripped SBF file that just flashes SPRecovery will leave him on unrooted 2.1. He can then flash a rom that has 2.1 root. Must he wipe data/cache? Or is he allowed to keep it since he's on 2.1 already.

If he must/should wipe. Is there a way to root without installing a rom? Then he could use Titanium Backup to backup all his SMS and apps and then install a spiffy rom if he wants.

Thanks,
    Roy
  2. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Basically you root, replace the default bootloader with sprecovery (or clockwork) make a nandroid recovery backup of your current setup and then apply the rom of your choice.

That lets you install Titanium before installing the rom.

With the backup made you can try installing the rom without wiping cache and data and if it works you are good to go. If not you just restore what you backed up, and wipe next time before flashing the rom.
  3. ufearme3

ufearme3 New Member

I found that this is the easiest way... I'm not a rooting expert, but I rooted, backed up and installed a whole new ROM within 20 minutes!

Root Step 1 Flashing SPRecovery SBF to Stock 2.1 | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog

Root Step 2 Video: Installing a Custom ROM Using SPRecovery | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog

This last one is for setting up the overclocking... not sure if this part is right, but the two above are spot on!

Root Step 3 Video: Upgrading a ROM and Using SetCPU | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog
  4. Royal2000H

Royal2000H New Member

Don't you wipe data in step 2?
  5. Royal2000H

Royal2000H New Member

Thanks for your response christim. What's your method for rooting? I can do what ufearme3 said. But, again, that makes me wipe, no?
  6. teddyearp

teddyearp Active Member

@ Royal2000h: Yes, the stripped .sbf file does not wipe out your data, puts the SPRecovery on your phone, and leaves it ready to use SPR to install a (SPR only) nandroid backup style ROM on the phone. If it is a ESE81/ESE53~2.1 based ROM, you "shouldn't" have to wipe data/cache, however I haven't gone all the way down this road and written a full guide for it yet, so I am speculating a bit.

OOPs, somebody else posted as well, but if you want to get to a stock rooted ESE81 2.1 we need to get just the su binary and Superuser.apk on to the phone properly and/or in SPR nandroid backup/restore fashion.
  7. ufearme3

ufearme3 New Member

Yes you have to wipe data, but only after using sprecovery to make a nandroid back up of your stock setup. Be sure NOT to put any spaces in your back file name!! Actually, I did the above steps, ran JRummy's Cyangeon rom for a while and something went wrong and I screwed my phone entirely! So I ran the backup from the sprecovery and I was back up and running in about 5 minutes, didn't miss a beat!
  8. christim

ahh, I see the issue. If the SBF with sprecovery for 2.1 isn't root then you can't use Titanium as that is a root only tool.

I don't know if MyBackup Pro is a root only tool or not.

With sprecovery installed the phone can still have a recovery file created before flashing the rom, and you can try not wiping data.

Astro lets you at least back up all of the files you have downloaded to the SDcard so you can easily reinstall them on the new rom. You'd be missing the settings of apps not stored on the card though.

What is the data you guys are concerned about losing?
  9. christim

backups make life so much easier!
  10. Royal2000H

Royal2000H New Member

Getting SPRecovery seems like the easy step.
    So I guess the question becomes, whats easiest way to get the su binary and Superuser.apk on his phone?
    I know you can do it with adb. But I'm looking for an easier way for him to do it.
    Can you use the easy droidmod app? Or does that require the full 2.0.1 installed?

True, he will be able to make a nandroid backup. But that backup will only be useful in situations like yours where he needs to go back. If all goes well with the rom, he still won't have any of his SMS messages.
  11. Royal2000H

Royal2000H New Member

YES! Exactly what I'm trying to say :).
    I used Titanium when going from DroidMod to CyanogenMod, but that's cuz I already had root.

He wants to save SMS and all his game saves and other various things. Call logs, Helix data, etc, I'm sure. So I'm pretty sure MBP without root won't be enough.

He doesn't seem to be a big fan of roms anyway. I don't know why, because I love CM. But he wants to root for overclocking and Wifi tether. So technically, he doesn't even need a rom.
  12. christim

SMS Backup and Restore, a free app from the market will back those up to his sdcard. There are other market apps that backup to Google too.

We need to figure out where the concern is. It could just be installed apps. It might be other specific apps with settings. It may not even be a concern. Beautiful Widgets stores the skins on the sdcard, for instance.
  13. christim

Read the write up in the market for MyBackup Pro and see if that will do the trick.
  14. Royal2000H

Royal2000H New Member

He said he needs his app data and settings. After asking which ones, he said all of them... He has a ton of apps. So a Titanium type solution is the best. So basically we need to root his phone without wiping data.

How do we go about that?

That requires root for app settings
  15. christim

I know titanium says it is for rooted phones. I don't see that for mybackup pro. Here is their website too: http://www.rerware.com/

I suggest the following:

1. Purchase MyBackup Pro from the market because saving all this data is important to him.
    2. back up everything to the sdcard using the app.
    3. sbf flash 2.1 sprecovery.
    4. create a nandroid restore file
    5. flash the rom you want
    6. restore using MyBackup Pro.
    7. review the phone's setting, apps, data
      1. if it is not to his liking nandroid restore back to his 2.1 unrooted phone with all his apps where he wants them and his data as it was. Uninstall mybackup pro and get your refund.
      2. if it is to his liking get wifi tethering and overclocking going for him
    or...if his data is more important then pass on rooting the phone.
  16. Royal2000H

Royal2000H New Member

I know it seems like I'm new to this because I'm asking how to root. However, I'm not. I've rooted my phone and flashed it half a dozen times so I understand the use of nandroid and all that.

The problem is I've never rooted 2.1.
    MBP does require root for app data. They used to not store app data and implemented it maybe about a month ago, possibly to compete with Titanium. As part of that they do require root. The other features do not.
    ---

So, with MBP and Titanium out of the picture. We know we have two options here.
    A. Flash a rom (likely similar to stock) that gives root and doesn't require him to wipe data&cache
    or
    B. Not flash a rom. Instead, apply root to his stock 2.1 (after we put SPRecovery with the SBF).

So it comes down to this. Are either of the two actual possibilities? Teddyearp's post said A, but he also said it may be speculation. So can anyone confirm how to do A?

Alternatively, can anyone do B?
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  17. jasonb

jasonb New Member

after you have SPrecovery on the phone you can just install a rom. no need to adb anything onto the phone.

i did this to my brothers droid earlier this evening and this is what i did:
    1. flashed the SPrecovery .sbf with RSDLite,
    2. put Chevy's Simply Stunning 3.1 update.zip on the root of the sd card(renamed it to "update.zip" of course),
    3. rebooted into recovery,
    4. did a quick nandroid backup of his stock rom,
    5. and then installed the update.zip. i didn't even wipe data or cache and it worked just fine.
    6. put setcpu and temp monitor on and that was it.

this process was actually much quicker and easier than it was when i rooted my 2.0.1 droid back in the day. i was done from start to finish in about 20 minutes.
  18. Royal2000H

Royal2000H New Member

Perfect. What I'm looking for. Just want to make sure though. It's not unstable or anything is it? Any force closes, etc?

Edit: If it is unstable... I can then just install Titanium. Backup his apps. Install a rom while wiping data/cache, and restore with titanium.
  19. jasonb

jasonb New Member

we messed with it for about an hour and saw only one force close(i pressed "wait"), it was helix launcher. it seemed perfectly stable to me. coming from ese81 to an ese81 rom shouldn't require a wipe.

and exactly like you said, if it ends up unstable for you, backup the apps then wipe and try again.
  20. teddyearp

teddyearp Active Member

Well, the posts were flying fast and furious last night and you were getting all kinds of conflicting information, so much that I got confused, lol.

In answer to your post #16, it seems as though you did get a partial solution from jasonb, however it did require flashing a custom rom something which you said your brother didn't really want to do.

However to apply root without flashing some sort of custom rom would be impossible without the use of adb shell. I tried making a SPR nandroid backup of just my 'system' folder for you, but it ended up with a bunch of other stuff in it and I lack the knowledge at this time to remove the extra stuff and keep the md5 sum correct, something which I think would be neccessary for it to work. So I pulled the su binary and Superuser.apk from my phone and put it here (called ESE81RootingFiles.zip) if you want to try the adb route.

Extract the contents of that file and put them in the android sdk\tools folder, plug in the phone to your comp and then use these commands (after applying the ESE81 .sbf patch and doing a backup):

adb push su /system/bin/su
    adb shell "chmod 6755 /system/bin/su"
    adb push Superuser.apk /system/bin/Superuser.apk
    adb shell "chomd 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk"

Reboot your phone. These were found by me elsewhere, btw I take no credit. Now the easiest way to JUST overclock and intall wireless tether (that's what this answer is all about as I read it to be the underlying theme of your whole thread), is to install ROM Manager-free from the market, let it flash the clockworkmod recovery to the phone, then go to "download Rom", select Cyanogen, then select either one of bekit's or p3droid's OC kernels.

To finish it off, you'll need both setcpu and the wireless tether apps. They're about to be found, and there's a TON of stuff in my folder below ;) cough, cough.

good luck
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2010