Easiest/Best way to upgrade rooted 2.0.1 to 2.1

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by cpuwhiz22, May 21, 2010.

1. cpuwhiz22

cpuwhiz22 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I had a rather simple question that I was hoping should be easy to answer. After searching the web I can't seem to find anything definitive on this topic. I have a Motorola Droid with 2.0.1 that is rooted. At the moment the only hacks I have done are the Wifi Tethering, OTA Update blocking, SPRecover, and additionally the hacked YouTube with HD default settings. I want to update to 2.1, but I certainly dont want to lose my hacks.

I am looking for the best way to go about this update. Some have told me first to go to stock, then to update to 2.1, then re-root, and redo all of my hacks. This is an option, but only if it is the only option. I am thinking that I may be able to simply remove the OTA Update block, let the device update, and then use a 2.1 root update.zip to root it. I figure if I do it this way I shouldn't lose my hacks, but I am only speculating.

The other thing I was considering is based on a guide I found here:

How To Root Your 2.1 Droid | Android Community

I was thinking if the hacked update.zip contains the 2.1 FW, then I should be able to simply run the update from SPRecover, and then after the update I should have a roted 2.1FW without losing any hacks, including the SPRecover and my old Nandroid backups. If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance!

2. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That is correct. Since you already have SPRecovery on your phone, you can just install a 2.1 update.zip file to upgrade to 2.1. A few words of warning:
    1). You may still lose your hacks - the 2.1 update is pretty large and encompasses a lot of stuff. There's a good chance it's going to overwrite some of your stuff (probably the youtube hack)
    2). You may lose root if you use the wrong update.zip! Make sure you pick one that says that it is "rooted"

I suggest the 2.1 ESE81 that pete threw together. It's identical to the normal 2.1 update, except that it includes root. Another option would be to find a 2.1 image that is deodexed (makes theming easier, if that's something you are interested in). I'll look for a link to either of these and post it if I find them.

3. cpuwhiz22

cpuwhiz22 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply! Where can I get the update.zip that you are referring to? Also, do i need to modify it at all. I know the guide that I posted as a link in my original post has a step to combine files. I am guessing it is combining the root hack with a stock 2.1 FW, but that I am not sure of. I would just like to make sure that I have the right files and the right procedure.

Thanks!

4. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't find Pete's 2.1 with root - it was previously on alldroid, but alldroid is gone, now.

Here's the deodexed version of 2.1, which is pretty much what you're looking for:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/woodyman/44203-release-stock-ese81-2-1-deodexed.html
    EDIT: Crap, nevermind. That's a nandroid backup. I wouldn't recommend going that route. I'll keep looking for the update.zip

If you already have SPRecovery installed, you won't need to follow any of the directions you'll find online - you'll just need to grab an update.zip file and install it.

5. cpuwhiz22

cpuwhiz22 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Great! Thanks for all the info. Now would the update.zip from the guide I posted in the original post work? It looks like it takes some modification (I'm guessing it is combining a stock update.zip with a root hack). Let me know if you have any luck, and I will hunt myself as well.

Thanks a ton!

6. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nope - because the important zip in that post is a link to alldroid, which is dead.

7. Teammudd

Teammudd Member

Ratings:
    +0
  8. brando56894

brando56894 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm slightly confused on what you actually want. If you want a rooted 2.1 all you have to do is download any of the custom roms on here, if you want the official (unrooted) 2.1 then you'll have to unroot 2.0.1 and it will ask if you want to download 2.1 OTA after a few minutes.

9. cpuwhiz22

cpuwhiz22 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well thank you all for your help. I have just one more question. I am downloading the update file from the link that Teammudd posted, but my question after watching the video is whether it is necessary to do the data wipe/factory restore and cache wipe. I know Se7enLC said that all I would need to do is install the update, and I don't want to risk any loss of data if possible so I guess I am really wondering what the purpose of the cache wipe and data wipe/restore is. If it isn't required/recommended then I won't bother.

Thanks!

10. chuckz28

chuckz28 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You know I was struggling with this same question over the last couple weeks and the way I did it last night was the simplest way possible and saved a lot of time. I downloaded ROM manager for free from the market and it literally does everything for you. When you open the app it prompts you to click the top bar to flash the clockwork mod recovery. After that you click download rom, then stock images and verizon droid 2.1 stock with root (Pete's version) after it is done downloading it pops up the message to install and asks if you want to wipe, and it will do it all. It automatically boots into recovery and installs itself. By far the easiest way to install a ROM. I guess the paid version (which the free version must also be installed) allows you to pick from all kinds of custom roms that are always updated and you can choose your options prior to install like the kernal and theme. You can go back to SPrecovery too if you want afterward. Look into it and save yourself a bunch of time and headache. Hope this helps you.

11. Kelly_M

Kelly_M New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the same situation as the op,

Just so I understand this; if we use that app, it wipes out everything? Contacts too? Can I reinstall Titanium and use that to restore my apps off the SD?

The reason I ask is because I use Connectbot and I have a lot of keys, ssh pipes, port forwards, etc; I could write everything down but it gets cumbersome... Or can I use the Nandroid and restore the data portion only?

Yea--I'm lazy... You guys will be at 10.01 one day and I'll still be stuck at 2.01, rooted because I don't want to redo my crap LOL!

12. chuckz28

chuckz28 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well it is ultimately your decision if you want to wipe or not but I reccommend it. It should wipe everything and factory reset but remember your contacts and calander will be fine as long as you sync to the Google cloud. As or your Apps the market should also remember your installed Apps but I write those down just in case. Everything else will stay on your SD card and will be uneffected like pics and music. You will pretty much only loose settings, custom dictionary and such.I can't say for sure but you probably would loose that other info. Oddly enough my wifi settings and current wallpaper didn't get wiped but everything else did that I can tell.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  13. OldNuc

OldNuc New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Use the paid version of Titanium to back up first. Your contacts are attached to your google account.

14. Kelly_M

Kelly_M New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Errmm well, I used the Rom Chooser and picked the BUgless Beast, 7 Cocket 800mhz with smoked glass and it rebooted and got stuck in a reboot loop... guess it's not so bugless after huh? Hehe! Ok so I am running the restoral now.

15. chuckz28

chuckz28 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would try the stock 2.1 image with root and wipe, then try BB again after another wipe. BB needs 2.1 to already be installed prior to install.