1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Easier way to transfer files to the Droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by RichStevenson, Feb 17, 2010.

1. RichStevenson

RichStevenson New Member

I'm sure some of you know about this already but I figured I would post it for those who do not.

If you need to pull/push files to/from your phone, and don't want to use ADB to do so, there is a GUI that is also included with the Android SDK that you can accomplish this with. And since you have been using ADB, you already have the SDK. The program is called Dalvik Debug Monitor and it's the same one that people have used for screen shots as well. It's located in the Tools directory in the SDK file structure and is named ddms.bat.

Note:
    You'll still have to use ADB when pushing to /system to set it to RW . But you'll save a little typing, and it's a nice browsing tool as well.

1. Connect your phone and run ddms.bat.
    2. Click anywhere in the left pane of the program.
    3. Click the Device menu and select File Explorer.

You'll now see the /data, /sdcard, and /system directories. Browse through them and click on a file to pull from the phone. Then click the toolbar icon with the phone to save the file to your PC.

To push a file to the phone, click on the directory to push the file to on the phone, then click on the toolbar button with the disk. Select the file to push from your PC and click OK.
  2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Hah! Did not know I could do that with that program....I always used it for screen shots like you mentioned, but didn't even know that was there..

3. Beamen

Beamen New Member

I've used the ddms a lot. I like the GUI. but sometimes you just need to get down and nerdy with ADB CLI.
  4. PhontomF

PhontomF New Member

This is awesome thanks for the tip. Use droid root helper to easily mount the system partition for writing then startup Dalvik and have full access. Sweet!!!
Search tags for this page

transfering files with adb gui