Easier way to find and call a contact??

FootballRef

Reaction score
Is there an easier way to call a person other than Phone -> Contacts -> Search -> then find the contact here?

I know I can do a short cut and do a direct dial. This method takes home screen space and I can only do a few before it becomes cluttered.

I also know I can a home screen folder to Starred Contacts. Once again this method is only good for a small group.

What I would like to be able to do it press Phone and then basically be able to search by using the letters on the number pad. I would hope to see contacts pop up as I "dialed" numbers.

Any such thing exist? Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!!

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
How about Gestures Search by Google? One desktop shortcut, click it and up comes a screen. trace letters on the screen and it narrows down your contact list.
It also searches for songs, apps and other stuff on your phone.

Last edited:

craigs93

Reaction score
I agree with Christim. Gesture search is the greatest find in the market... Apps, games, songs, contacts...it finds them all. Incredibly easy!!

H

harpjames35

try nubdial. it's in the market.

chart

c_law23

Reaction score
wow, gestures is very cool... I'm learning new stuff all the time around here! thanks :)

c_mack9

Reaction score
i just got gestures because of this thread. thanks guys. also the search button at the bottom of the phone works way quicker than phone or contacts fyi.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i just got gestures because of this thread. thanks guys. also the search button at the bottom of the phone works way quicker than phone or contacts fyi.

I've had the phone since November and I'm still finding new stuff for it and things I can do with it. My old phone was never like this, not being a smart phone. If this keeps up my next phone won't be a smart phone either, so says my wife :)

I love the discovery of new features, functions etc. Best phone I've picked up ever and probably one of the better pieces of tech I've gotten too.

rjax

Reaction score
OP
FootballRef

FootballRef

Reaction score
try nubdial. it's in the market.

chart
Just tried this one as well. Perfect! Exactly what I wanted.

Try Dialer One. It's similar, but better (unless NubDial has improved a lot since I last tried it). Dialer One will also let you assign speed dial numbers that you activate with a long press on the number pad.

Dialer One v1.1.9.1 Application for Android | Communication
And they just keep getting better. I have tried all 3 tonight....and have liked them all. Dialer One is the best so far.

rjax

Reaction score
How do I create a speed dial with Dialer One?

Start typing the name of the contact you want to add to speed dial, then long press on the contact you want to add (not the phone icon, but the name), and then when the menu comes up, tap Speed Dial. It'll let you assign anything between 2-99.

To actually dial a two-digit speed dial number, tap the first digit, then long-press the second digit.

By the way, another option that you'll see pops up when you long-press the contact is "Send Contact." That option will send that person's contact info to Gmail, Handcent, etc. for easy forwarding on to someone else.