E911?

rda990

Reaction score
Just like other "dumbphones" does this phone have a E911 option?So if the cops/emergency people are looking for you can find you?It should and if so I doubt gps needs to be on right?But then again on the "dumbphones" it enabled the gps option thing.

bdawson21

Reaction score
I work in the EMS field and as far as cell phones go (and someone please correct me if they know of a system that does differently), when you call 911 it registers what cell tower your phone hits to make the call. On our mapping system rather than showing the exact address as it would when you call from a landline, it shows the nearest address to the cell tower. Which doesnt mean you are near that address, just that is the tower your call is being recieved from. Dumb phones and smart phones alike.

OP
rda990

rda990

Reaction score
Thanks makes sense...for some reason I thought it would give you accurate signals...and when you guys get the emergency how do you find them (if fast) if its not accurate.

Champers

Reaction score
when you guys get the emergency how do you find them
Hmmm, how did emergency responders work before GPS was in every phone? Maybe people tell the 911 operator where they are?

Droid101

Reaction score
If the 911 center you are calling has E911 then they can track you straight down to an exact location. If they don't have the E911 technology then they just trace you down to the nearest tower and the computer shows a certain radius you are within. All phones now have E911 on them. But even though you have E911 on your phone still get your location out say that first so if you get disconnected they atleast know where to go.

OP
rda990

rda990

Reaction score
Hmmm, how did emergency responders work before GPS was in every phone? Maybe people tell the 911 operator where they are?

Let's say...you are held hostage...but can't talk on the phone so you don't make it hot...you can only just dial 911??

If the 911 center you are calling has E911 then they can track you straight down to an exact location. If they don't have the E911 technology then they just trace you down to the nearest tower and the computer shows a certain radius you are within. All phones now have E911 on them. But even though you have E911 on your phone still get your location out say that first so if you get disconnected they atleast know where to go.

Thanks...and shouldn't they all have E911??lol and wait so E911 works on the droid without needing to enable any special options right?because I can't find any..

Champers

Reaction score
Let's say...you are held hostage...but can't talk on the phone so you don't make it hot...you can only just dial 911??

If you are one of many hostages, the police are probably already aware of the situation. If you are a single hostage, the hostage takers are probably smart enough to take your cell phone. :)

bdawson21

Reaction score
We do have E911. It's pretty much standard now-a-days. But regardless of phone capabilities, its pretty limited to the capability of the cell provider. Verizon nor any other service i know of provides an interface to be able to read the phone coordinates. It's pretty much down to the caller to be aware of where they are... or at least be able to describe their surroundings.

Droid101

Reaction score

Thanks...and shouldn't they all have E911??lol and wait so E911 works on the droid without needing to enable any special options right?because I can't find any..

lol they should but money restricts some call centers from getting the equipment. But yes as soon as you dial 911 and hit send it is automatically started. :)

diverken

Reaction score
"The FCC also requires wireless telephone carriers to provide 9-1-1 and E9-1-1 capability, where a Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) requests it. Once it is implemented fully, wireless E9-1-1 will provide an accurate location for 9-1-1 calls from wireless phones."

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Network Extender has a GPS antenna, which (I suppose) is in case you call 911 it will tell the dispatcher where you are.