E-Mail notification sound when there is no new e-mail

primodroid

Reaction score
Anyone still getting email notification sounds even though there is no new email? I still get this every so often. Please note that this only happens to my AOL email account on motorola droid not my google email. Google email notification is working great!!!

Anyone use another e-mail account other than G-Mail? I am still getting email notification sounds (for my AOL email account) even though there is no new email. Anyone??
progress.gif

Reaction score
I get false email notifications with earthlink as well. I'm not sure what to do about it.
I do not have this issue with Yahoo! or Gmail.

Last edited:

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
I have Comcast as my base E-mail provider and I find that unless you open the E-mails that you get, each time the phone checks for e-mails it will recognize the ones that you did not actually open or delete as new e-mails and will notify you.

get quad

Reaction score
fwiw, I've had the least amount of issues using IMAP. If your mail provider supports IMAP, might be worth using.

Reaction score
I thought it was just my Earthlink account giving me the problem, but today I began getting false email notifications from Yahoo mail as well as my Earthlink account. This is somewhat annoying. I hope a fix will come out soon, otherwise I'll have to shut off the audible notification.

Also, for a brief time (well, about 8 hours) I wasn't receiving any email on my phone (I could see new email from my desktop computer, but the phone wasn't receiving these messages). I powered cycled the phone and that fixed the problem.

I didn't know email was so complicated to send/receive.

Silver Member
Reaction score
it's because the default email application only downloads x emails at a time (i guess to save on space). everytime you delete or move a message, you download older messages. so your new mail, is old mail, getting downloaded again.

the best solutions are to either use a different email client, such as K9 or Touchdown, or to use GMAIL to check your other mail (see sig).

jev

Reaction score
My roadrunner account does this all the time. Usually it notifies me twice, but yesterday it notified me about 8-9 times in a row for 1 email. Thanks to 640k for the guide to set up forwarding pop3 through gmail. Works great.

Reaction score
It has happened again. I'm not being notified when I receive email, despite having the Droid set to check email every 15 minutes. Today, I got four email messages from Yahoo Mail, I didn't know I had these emails until I checked my email using a desktop computer at noon. Once I realized I had email awaiting in my Yahoo account I pressed the "refresh" button on my Droid to see if this would would, it did.

I'll have to see if I can get Gmail to handle all email (set up the pop3 for other emails). I wonder if it would work to have my Yahoo email forwarded to my Gmail and then back to my Droid. All my Yahoo accounts are freee, but the pop server does work for the Driod (with WiFi off).

Reaction score
I've noted two glitches with email (when using Earthlink and several free Yahoo accounts).

Although, I was under the impression that my device would check email every 15 minutes it is very clear that consistency lacks. Sometimes hours will pass before it beeps. At other times it seems in pace with email activity.

False email notification: This was something I noticed immediately, then it seemed to subside, but would come back again. I'm writing this post today because I had a little bout of false email notifications spaced in time by a few seconds. I got around 7 or 8 false email notifications all in rapid succession and then it stopped.

I'm sure this will get smoothed out one day, but it does strike me as odd.

famac!

Reaction score
Its a problem faced by several. Check the sig and star the issue. Maybe Google will fix it one day.