E-mail App Problem

Roblax10

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just bought my Motorola driod yesterday, and am impressed so far. I successfully set up a optonline e-mail account on the regular mail app, and am able to send and receive mail.

Here's my problem: I am only able to use the app successfully for the first few minutes after I turn the phone on. After the phone is put to sleep, and then woken up, the app starts to take a very long time to load/connect to the server, and ultimately fails. (this is all through wi-fi by the way).

I was thinking about forwarding my optonline account to my g-mail account, however I want all my outgoing messages to come from my optonline e-mail.

Does any have the same problem and/or know a solution. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just bought my Motorola driod yesterday, and am impressed so far. I successfully set up a optonline e-mail account on the regular mail app, and am able to send and receive mail.

Here's my problem: I am only able to use the app successfully for the first few minutes after I turn the phone on. After the phone is put to sleep, and then woken up, the app starts to take a very long time to load/connect to the server, and ultimately fails. (this is all through wi-fi by the way).

I was thinking about forwarding my optonline account to my g-mail account, however I want all my outgoing messages to come from my optonline e-mail.

Does any have the same problem and/or know a solution. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

First, stop using the stock "email" account. Your life will improve vastly.

Your instinct to forward your email to the gmail account is a good one. It will eliminate the need to "poll" because your mail will be pushed from gmail to your droid. (Saves battery, too.) Turn off notification. See below.

Next, download K-9 from the Market. Set it up to point at your gmail account. (Don't have it poll. It doesn't need to.) Now turn on notification on K-9 and under "account settings" (get it by pressing the menu button and then the "more" choice) go to "manage identities" and set up your identity to match the account you want the email to (appear) to come from.

You'll now get a unique (purple led) notification of email when it comes to your gmail account. You don't have to access it through the "gmail" app, however, since your K-9 email client sees the same information.

Now, here's the only rub. K-9 enables you to delete email from the server from your droid. But since it believes the server is the google gmail server, that's where it will delete it. If you really need that functionality....

Leave gmail out of the equation altogether and point K-9 directly at your regular email server. Can't guarantee it will work but if it's an imap or pop account, it should. You may have to poll the server to get your email (thus losing the "push" feature) but you'll be able to manage your email directly from your droid on the server.

Hope that helps.