e-mail app for AOL mail

nacho220

Reaction score
I have been using AOL e-mail for over a dozen years now. I prefer to continue using it just because I have so many contacts with the email addy. I didn't mind the Motorola Droid stock email app all that much. I had a few issues with it though. One being that when I read something it still shows up in my mail, as opposed to automatically being moved into a "read" folder, like it would using their email service. So I guess I'm looking for an email app that calls for a true inbox instead of a mix of inbox and read mail. Also since I have a lot of contacts and other things associated with my AOL mail...additionally I would be looking for an app that allows for access to those contacts when using the app. Also they have a number of features over the past few years, like toDo list, calendar and stuff like that. It'd be great if I had access to those as well.

So with all that being said I'm sure you'd probably say, well you'd have to find an AOL mail app. I see there isn't one. Don't know if anyone knows there will be one or anything. I guess I'd have to wait it out if I am looking for that. But I hope that someone might be able to point me to something that might already do most, if not all of these features. (I understand I probably have to sacrifice on some of these). If anything I'd like a true inbox rather then the combined one.

I appreciate any help in advance.

OP
nacho220

nacho220

Reaction score
Any suggestions out there? I actually came across two email apps that I've tried out so far

K-9mail
Mail Droid

Of course this is in addition to the stock email app. I'm finding these two lacking in certain areas, as well as the stock email app. In fact, I prefer the stock email app in the Motorola Droid 1 over all 3 of these. What I like in Mail Droid, isn't in K-9mail. All 3 seem to take much more time to send mail through the outbox. And all 3 of them contain my biggest issue...keeping "read" items in the "inbox". I guess I could put up with other dislikes if a mail app did this. I don't know. Maybe I'll have to wait for an official AOLmail app if that ever happens. If anyone has a suggestion I'd be willing to try it out. Thanks in advance.

OP
nacho220

nacho220

Reaction score
Looks like something new for AOL mail on your mobile

AOL Mail

Doesn't look like there is an app, but here is a start!

sho50

Reaction score
AOLmail annoying quirks and limitations

I, too, have been using AOL email for many years (ever since it was the dominant email client way back last century). I personally have no problem with the mixed inbox - though it would sometimes be nice to separate the new from the old. Frankly, AOL is much easier to navigate on my SG2 than Google's GMAIL, whose read mail folder doesn't even appear in the mobile version. But, there are some very annoying quirks and limitations in AOL mail that have existed forever and are very unlikely to ever get fixed:
1. Forwarded mail strips all HTML code, usually leading to a blank message for the recipient.
2. AOL automatically zips any multiple attachments in their proprietary zip format that is often unopenable by recipients. The only way to circumvent this limitation is to send each attachment as a separate email.
3. Sometimes, the AOL client moves read email to the deleted mail folder all by itself. You have to notice the move and retrieve the email before the permanent deletion date, else it will be gone for good.
4. Mobile AOL mail does not provide for batch processing, which can make it very tedious to clean the spam and delete folders.
5. It is extremely clumsy to sort saved message folders on your desktop client... and impossible to even access on the mobile client.
6. Perhaps worst of all, AOL is not at all interested in user feedback (there is no way to send them anything) and provides NO support unless the user subscribes to their payed support service. They are very unlikely to ever fix the problems.

The best solution for us longterm AOL users... me thinks we need to take the plunge and migrate to a more up-to-date and user friendly email server.