DYI Car Mount

Donsell

Reaction score
How difficult do you think it'd be to modify a generic car mount by mounting magnets in the right place to initiate the car mode? I'd think it'd be pretty easy since it's been shown that you can mount magnets to cardboard to get the same functionality.

The car mount seems a little pricey, especially since they don't include the car charger.

I've not seen a care mount in person, is there something I'm missing?

bigjohn

Reaction score
they did it with cardboard so i don't see why not, but considering the additional amount of time involved in ordering and mounting magnets to something that isn't even a custom fit, $25 isn't an issue for me. I find the car mount works very well, nice positive-set suction cup, perfect fit in my wrx. I would have tossed the moto car charger even if it was bundled as i prefer the low-profile aftermarket usb chargers out there.

metalmenance

Reaction score
All I see the car dock doing is putting it into car mode automatically, why not use any car mount that you like and forget the magnets, just hit the car buttom on the droid and use it from there. I myself prefer what to open what i want in car or anywhere else. I have a desk cradle for the psp and all i did want drill a hole in bottom of it for the cord to go through and using dockrunner i have the same thing as the 30 cradle they sell. I believe I am going to do the same for the car mount, just head to local store and see what i like and use it. already have a car charger mini usb from another phone which i checked and it charges just fine.