DX Screen Protectors

Fizban22

Reaction score
Anybody know any good screen protectors for the Droid X that both takes away glare AND has that glassy feel like the regular screen does?

i got one from the verizon store and it does cut out glare, but it feels chalky almost which makes it hard to type using Swype

SSDriod

Reaction score
Go With THe Invisible Shield from Zagg

I use (on every portable electronic device I own) the Invisible Shield from Zagg. On their website:
Military grade patented material engineered for your specific device
Unique properties provide self-healing qualities
Helps reduce the appearance of fingerprint smudges and smears
Includes free lifetime replacement warranty for the life of your device
Trusted worldwide with over 7 million invisibleSHIELDs sold
45 day money back guarantee

I have never had one scratch or had any issues with them not fully protecting my electronic device screens (Zune, Zune 32, Samsung Instinct, Evo, and the DriodX). They are not cheap ($15 for the DroidX Screen), and they require a bit of caution, patience, and persistence to install, but they are WELL worth it (BTW - Best Buy will install them for a fee if you don't want to do it yourself).

Cheers~

Anybody know any good screen protectors for the Droid X that both takes away glare AND has that glassy feel like the regular screen does?

i got one from the verizon store and it does cut out glare, but it feels chalky almost which makes it hard to type using Swype

Johnhimm

Reaction score
Screen protectors are a waste of money, the screen will not scratch unless you gouge it and a screen protector would not survive a gouge.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
OP
F

Fizban22

Reaction score
i know the DX is made with gorilla glass, but i like having a screen protector because its cuts out any glare on the screen.

my question was if there is a screen protector that eliminates glare while having that smooth glass feel to it, not that matte feel.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState

bowlingotter

Reaction score
Screen protectors are a waste of money, the screen will not scratch unless you gouge it and a screen protector would not survive a gouge.

If you truly believe this, then you've either never properly used a screen protector or have used the wrong ones.

I like screen protectors because not only do they guard against scratches and keep the phone looking new at all times, it helps them feel a little grippier, cuts down on glare, and cuts down on fingerprints as well.

I'm a big fan of the ZAGG brand. Used them on my last iPhone and they were fantastic and very worth it. I've ordered my Droid X protectors from them, waiting for delivery.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState

If you truly believe this, then you've either never properly used a screen protector or have used the wrong ones.

I like screen protectors because not only do they guard against scratches and keep the phone looking new at all times, it helps them feel a little grippier, cuts down on glare, and cuts down on fingerprints as well.

I'm a big fan of the ZAGG brand. Used them on my last iPhone and they were fantastic and very worth it. I've ordered my Droid X protectors from them, waiting for delivery.

I used to be a fan of Zagg. But since I changed to Steinheil. I am not going back to Zagg.

SSDriod

Reaction score
Invisible Shield - as promised

This is why I have a screen protector and why I choose Zagg - I don't see anything on the Steinheil site about protecting the screen - sure it says it hides fingerprints and reduces glare, and those are good, but not critical. I can carry my phone in my pocket and not think twice about anything hurting the screen.

[video=youtube;LDQzCPx_g0c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDQzCPx_g0c&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - iPhone 4 Scratch Test[/video]

I used to be a fan of Zagg. But since I changed to Steinheil. I am not going back to Zagg.

mslinda70

Reaction score
I just got a protector from Zagg and i love it, it really cuts down on fingerprints, not sure how good steinheil is

GrillMouster

Reaction score
Gorilla glass is not scratch-proof. It's just tempered and treated to make it less susceptible to cracking and shattering.

If you were to look at a magnified cross-section of a scratch in a regular glass screen, it would look like the letter "Y", where the top "v" shape is the gouge on the surface of the glass, and the stem coming down from the from the intersection point is a micro crack that goes straight down into the middle of the glass. You can't really see that micro crack looking at the screen, but it's there. If the glass is compressed, that micro crack can grow all the way through the glass, becoming a crack, and it can lead to more cracks and shatter the screen.

If you look at a magnified cross-section a scratch in gorilla glass, instead of a "Y" shape, you're more likely to see just a "V" shape. The way gorilla glass is created prevents the stem part of the Y shape from forming. So, a scratch is still a gouge in the glass, it just doesn't have (or is resistant to developing) a micro crack going into the glass. This makes gorilla glass screens more resistant to cracks and shattering as a result of compression. Don't confuse compression with impact. There may be an element of compression in an impact, but a fall can still crack/shatter gorilla glass.

Now, as for scratching the glass, all it takes is for something equally hard or harder than glass rub up against the screen. Sand, salt, grit, can scratch it. This stuff is everywhere (beaches, around dirt, pavement, kid's sandboxes, etc), and it can easily wind up in your pocket or whereever you keep your phone. Heck, I've had sand and grit in brand-new pairs of jeans. It can scratch the screen...even gorilla glass. Diamonds are harder than glass and can scratch it (be careful reaching blindly into your purses, ladies).

My employer provided me a mobile phone with gorilla glass, but no screen protector. While on vacation at the in-laws, I put the phone screen-down on the nightstand while it charged overnight. I put it face down so the blinking notification light wouldn't wake me. The next morning I discovered that a few grains of grit that was on the nightstand scratched the screen when I put the phone down or picked it up. It happens.

pasteve

Reaction score
Gorilla Glass

It doesn't take much. I just had ClearCoat protector installed (screen only) so I wouldn't have to worry about sand etc. I can live with some minor scratches on the back, but the screen is what you stare at all day. ClearCoat has a place in the King of Prussia mall (Philadelphia area) and installed price was $20 ($15 + $5 for putting it on). It looks good--a hint of orange peel but just barely.

dubunderpar

Reaction score
+1 for zagg. My brother in law is a mobile rep for Best Buy and has a zagg protector on his phone. When he told me it was almost scratch proof I didn't believe him until he took my keys and dug them all over the screen and they didn't even leave a hint of a scratch. I was sold, because I know that my pockets aren't as viscous as that.