Dx not working on computer?

ray7171

Reaction score
How come when I plug my droid x into my usb on my computer it doesn't charge or register that it is there?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
What OS are you running? Using the cord that came with the phone? Tried all available USB ports?

OP
R

ray7171

Reaction score
using windows 7 and yes cord it came wit and tried all the ports.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I had mine not charge on my computer at work because the USB ports were not putting out enough juice. But at home running Windows 7 and obviously a much better computer it recognized it right away and charged just fine. If Windows 7 is not seeing it plugged in at all under "My Computer" then not sure honestly. If it were only not charging but actually seen by Windows I would say you have the same problem I had at work.

OP
R

ray7171

Reaction score
is there a way to fix it and have my usb's put out more juice?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
No that is all ran through your motherboard, so short of getting a new one of those you are kinda stuck. But like I said that might not be your problem if it is not seeing it at all. Even if it does not have enough juice to charge it, it will still recognize it. Computer fairly new?

OP
R

ray7171

Reaction score
like a year or two old. its a dell and recognized my old droid 1. every now and then though something would pop up and say that the usb port can perform faster or something. How do I do that?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Oh yeah that is speed boost, some USB drives can do that through Windows to speed them up. Won't really help for the phones though. If it is only a year or two old you should more than definately have USB 2.0, which would be more than enough to recognize it. I don't suppose you know someone else that has computer to rule out the phone as the issue?

OP
R

ray7171

Reaction score
i can try but i dont know why this one wouldnt work and my old droid which was running 2.2 was fine?

Rento

Reaction score
Having the same issue... Used to work before, but not anymore...

georgepink

Reaction score
had a few problems too (not charging related, but this does say it allows charging from a pc with usb) until I loaded these drivers:

USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola USA

Just got my device yesterday, but it appears to be charging from my laptop, which would be the pc with the lowest rated usb voltage.

91STT

Reaction score
do you have a task killer installed, if you do and you kill the usb task you will lose connectivity to your computer. it will also not charge when connected to a computer but will work with the regular charger.

droid234

Reaction score
do you have a task killer installed, if you do and you kill the usb task you will lose connectivity to your computer. it will also not charge when connected to a computer but will work with the regular charger.

i was about to say the same thing. that's what happened to me.

91STT

Reaction score

i was about to say the same thing. that's what happened to me.

also want to add, a reboot will set it back to normal

dstacey

Reaction score
My computer isn't recognizing my X either so will a reboot cause me to lose info or apps?