DVDCataQues: MenCoder_Custom

bmphotography

Reaction score
Well I tried tons of other DVD Rip/Converting Software for droid and Dvd Catalyst is by far the best... does not use much memory/fast etc.. but thats not why im here. I've got a question for the DVDCatalyst guy that roams this forum :p

I was using the Power User function and found a Codec called MenCoder_Custom.. this is by far the best Codec I found out of all of them in the huge Codec list.. I will give a example as I did some serious testing regarding all of the Codecs in ur list..

.mp4 (h.264) HQ Two Pass: It was fast Conversion on my computer at least..1 Hour to complete. running at 18.9X

MenCoder_Custom Codec: (not really sure any specs on this codec but it shoots out stuff as .AVI instead of .MP4) its a very Slow codec...VERY slow 3 Hours for one movie used Two pass. BUT there is a UPSIDE. if ur willing to wait like I was(went out to eat so really wasn't waiting) I found some major pro's to it.. it has VERY good image quality than the .Mp4. and also. Less File Space as the Mp4.. and Im surprised...considering both were set to the same parameters.. this is the difference.

.Mp4: Video file 2 hours at 200 bit rate 32 Mono was 260mbs

MenCoder_Custom Codec: Video File 2 Hours at 200 Bit Rate 32 Mono was 189Mbs. Picture was a bit grainy.. Not NEARLY as much as the .Mp4.. that is what surprised me I could make out the eyes etc.. of someone in the back of the film Vs the .mp4 where anything past the guy was completely gone..

Can someone explain this to me how a AVI can be better than a Mp4??

the only problem I found with the MenCoder_Custom Codec is the Time it takes to burn it and one major flaw which just may be on my phone.. it won't play on my phone plays fine on my computer.. but once its on my phone I hear the Sound/Music/Talking but no video o_O and when i try to close the video it freezes the phone and phone restarts.. lol? XD

If anyone wants i'll post the Screencapture of both films on the diff codecs to see difference in quality.

I love testing things.. I won't be happy till I get a video to 1mb LOL :icon_ banana:

OP
B

bmphotography

Reaction score
Yes I am hyper and had a Little to much to drink but don't mind my misspellings bad used of punctuation or grammar.. at least I was able to login...after a couple of failed attempts..

OP
B

bmphotography

Reaction score
aa couple more questions I have..

how do u change the size of subtitles in DVDCatalyst 4?

what is the best codec so far and do you think there is any near future codec coming out that will compress video further while making less crappyness in low file size videos?

D

dvdcatalyst

Well I tried tons of other DVD Rip/Converting Software for droid and Dvd Catalyst is by far the best... does not use much memory/fast etc.. but thats not why im here. I've got a question for the DVDCatalyst guy that roams this forum :p

Thank you, I am glad you like DVD Cat :)

I was using the Power User function and found a Codec called MenCoder_Custom.. this is by far the best Codec I found out of all of them in the huge Codec list.. I will give a example as I did some serious testing regarding all of the Codecs in ur list..

.mp4 (h.264) HQ Two Pass: It was fast Conversion on my computer at least..1 Hour to complete. running at 18.9X

MenCoder_Custom Codec: (not really sure any specs on this codec but it shoots out stuff as .AVI instead of .MP4) its a very Slow codec...VERY slow 3 Hours for one movie used Two pass. BUT there is a UPSIDE. if ur willing to wait like I was(went out to eat so really wasn't waiting) I found some major pro's to it.. it has VERY good image quality than the .Mp4. and also. Less File Space as the Mp4.. and Im surprised...considering both were set to the same parameters.. this is the difference.

Mencoder_custom is an undocumented codec I added because someone requested it. DVD Catalyst uses mencoder for its conversion engine, and the request was from someone who was already using mencoder for his own conversions, and wanted to use his own settings with DVD Catalyst to make use of the batching/border removal features. It has been in DVD Catalyst for a while (since 3.86 or so), but due to the complicated nature of the setting, I haven't taken the time to fully document it yet.
The settings for this format are stored in DVD Catalyst's settings file (%appdata%):
Custom_Code:-oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=$abr:mode=0 -ovc x264 -x264encopts bitrate=$vbr:frameref=3:trellis=1:partitions=all:8x8dct:bframes=3:b_pyramid:weight_b:me=umh:subq=6:$vm1:threads=auto -ffourcc h264 -af channels=$ac,volume=$vol

Custom_Ext:avi

Custom_vf:unsharp=l3x3:0.5c3x3:0.5

The $ parts ($abr, $vbr, etc) are values that are replaced by DVD Catalyst.

The thing is, playing with these settings requires quite a bit of research on mencoder-settings, and of course, as you already experienced, compatibility with devices is also something that is affected.

.Mp4: Video file 2 hours at 200 bit rate 32 Mono was 260mbs

MenCoder_Custom Codec: Video File 2 Hours at 200 Bit Rate 32 Mono was 189Mbs. Picture was a bit grainy.. Not NEARLY as much as the .Mp4.. that is what surprised me I could make out the eyes etc.. of someone in the back of the film Vs the .mp4 where anything past the guy was completely gone..

Can someone explain this to me how a AVI can be better than a Mp4??

the only problem I found with the MenCoder_Custom Codec is the Time it takes to burn it and one major flaw which just may be on my phone.. it won't play on my phone plays fine on my computer.. but once its on my phone I hear the Sound/Music/Talking but no video o_O and when i try to close the video it freezes the phone and phone restarts.. lol? XD

If anyone wants i'll post the Screencapture of both films on the diff codecs to see difference in quality.

The thing is, with the profiles in DVD Catalyst, I have to find a nice combination of speed vs quality. When I implemented the HQ profiles, the amount of complaints I received about it being slow shot through the roof. Many people automatically go for the HQ profiles without even trying the standard profiles. If I would add Ultra-HQ settings, and your conversion time would increase from 4x realtime to 1/4th x realtime, it would get worse.

I love testing things.. I won't be happy till I get a video to 1mb LOL :icon_ banana:

back in 2004, I managed to get a 3 hour movie to fit on a 128MB SD card (119MB effective). 40kbps video, 16kbps audio. Looked like Lego :)

This only works for non-imagebased subtitles, such as MKV files that have selectable subs and srt files and such. For DVDs this doesn't work. Global Settings > Language (if you use the beta) or Global Settings > Advanced in 4.0.2.7

what is the best codec so far and do you think there is any near future codec coming out that will compress video further while making less crappyness in low file size videos?

best, predictable size and compatible with most devices, h264_xoom_hq.

OP
B

bmphotography

Reaction score

Thank you, I am glad you like DVD Cat :)

Mencoder_custom is an undocumented codec I added because someone requested it. DVD Catalyst uses mencoder for its conversion engine, and the request was from someone who was already using mencoder for his own conversions, and wanted to use his own settings with DVD Catalyst to make use of the batching/border removal features. It has been in DVD Catalyst for a while (since 3.86 or so), but due to the complicated nature of the setting, I haven't taken the time to fully document it yet.
The settings for this format are stored in DVD Catalyst's settings file (%appdata%):

The $ parts ($abr, $vbr, etc) are values that are replaced by DVD Catalyst.

The thing is, playing with these settings requires quite a bit of research on mencoder-settings, and of course, as you already experienced, compatibility with devices is also something that is affected.

The thing is, with the profiles in DVD Catalyst, I have to find a nice combination of speed vs quality. When I implemented the HQ profiles, the amount of complaints I received about it being slow shot through the roof. Many people automatically go for the HQ profiles without even trying the standard profiles. If I would add Ultra-HQ settings, and your conversion time would increase from 4x realtime to 1/4th x realtime, it would get worse.

back in 2004, I managed to get a 3 hour movie to fit on a 128MB SD card (119MB effective). 40kbps video, 16kbps audio. Looked like Lego :)

This only works for non-imagebased subtitles, such as MKV files that have selectable subs and srt files and such. For DVDs this doesn't work. Global Settings > Language (if you use the beta) or Global Settings > Advanced in 4.0.2.7

best, predictable size and compatible with most devices, h264_xoom_hq.

I'll take a look at that file and see what I can do. I'll also try out the h264_Zoom_HQ codec as well.. maybe there is some way with me playing with the settings for MenCoder I can make a Hybrid .MP4 instead of making AVI changing it into either a .MP4 or .WMV or anything "Compatible" for now tho in the private messages I sent ya the temporary workaround I found..unless Google Allows .AVI's

Out of all the things Google puts in the droid I would think they would of put AVI support in it.. but since the variations in AVIs can be so different from eachother I guess I can see why..

I think my Inception disc is going to break soon.. I like converting the full movie 1000 times instead of the 10min intervals you can do for testing type thing.. so I can see how the picture looks in diff parts of the film..

On my second test using a diff codec against the MenCodec I still got same results before.

854x480 Reso
200-250Bitrate (.mp4's seem to bump it to 250 not sure why)
(.AVI remained at 199-200 BitRate)
32 Mono for both.

MenCodec came out ahead once again I could see everything clearer than the Mp4 but this time the MenCodec was 10Mbs less than the .Mp4..

Now I see what I can do about MenCodec not working on the droid..

D

dvdcatalyst

change the extension from avi to mp4 in the settings file, however, cabac and ref will cause complications.

OP
B

bmphotography

Reaction score
Ok I'll see what it can do :)

playing with codecs feels like surgery lol