DVD Catalyst

mikespe

Reaction score
Well I totally regret purchasing this software. I started ripping a DVD at 3:30pm and got back home at 6pm. When I left it said it would be 1 hour 27 minutes. When I got home it was only at 61% and another hour to go! I just tried again at 6:30pm to rip the same DVD and it is now 8:34pm...DVD Catalyst read 35% complete! The DVD is only 60 minutes long and I have used FREE apps that have done a faster job. I have even tried the booster pack but that seems to have slow it down...

I should add that the 2nd attempt I shut ALL un-necessary programs running even processes that I wasn't using. I have 2gb RAM and a 2.5GHz Processor

Last edited:
D

dvdcatalyst

Well I totally regret purchasing this software. I started ripping a DVD at 3:30pm and got back home at 6pm. When I left it said it would be 1 hour 27 minutes. When I got home it was only at 61% and another hour to go! I just tried again at 6:30pm to rip the same DVD and it is now 8:34pm...DVD Catalyst read 35% complete! The DVD is only 60 minutes long and I have used FREE apps that have done a faster job. I have even tried the booster pack but that seems to have slow it down...

I should add that the 2nd attempt I shut ALL un-necessary programs running even processes that I wasn't using. I have 2gb RAM and a 2.5GHz Processor

I'm sorry to hear that Mike,
there could be numerous reasons on why the conversion is so slow. Your computers specifications should do a faster job than that, however, if a fancy screensaver kicks in, or another application runs at the same time of the conversion, a TV recording for example, it will affect the conversion speed considerably. It's also possible some other DVD application is accessing the DVD at the same time, or the DVD or drive has some issues.
Maybe try a different DVD and see if that works better, otherwise, send me an email and I will provide a refund.

serum153

Reaction score
You should troubleshoot with the creator as he is very helpful before you get all worked up. Your delays are not the fault of the program and most likely has to do with your settings and/or your computer. When it is done the quality of sound and picture will be greater than the other programs that you used. I have put 17 different movies on my hardrive and not one had any problems.

mikespe

Reaction score
As I mentioned in my post I shut down every program and process I could. I am very good with computers and have built a few so I know my way around one. I know all about services & processes that run in the background that take up resources. I apologize to the creator if I sound unappreciative. Its just that when you expect something to work good and it doesn't TWICE then its frustrating. As for the program settings, they are all left as is from the install. If any need to be changed then please let me know.

Thanks

D

dvdcatalyst

As I mentioned in my post I shut down every program and process I could. I am very good with computers and have built a few so I know my way around one. I know all about services & processes that run in the background that take up resources. I apologize to the creator if I sound unappreciative. Its just that when you expect something to work good and it doesn't TWICE then its frustrating. As for the program settings, they are all left as is from the install. If any need to be changed then please let me know.

Thanks

As I said, I'd gladly issue a refund if you are unhappy with the program, but have you tried any other DVDs, besides the one you are having issues with? There can be numerous reasons on why you are experiencing such slow conversion times, but my first try would be a different DVD, and see if the same thing happens with that.

You mentioned the DVD is only an hour long, so is it possibly a burned DVD, if so, it could be the burning software used to create the DVD that is causing issues. Roxio in particular does not create fully compliant DVDs for example.

No need to apologize for bringing up problems, however, I would like to have as much information as possible to be able to assist you.

**edit: I found an older post

I used the free version of DVD Catalyst to convert my mpeg to mp4...using the iPhone setting...worked great! I plan on putting all my guitar instructional videos on there! Perfect if I'm on the go!

If it's an educational DVD, it might just be the DVD itself that is causing the problem. Some people have reported issues with some "The Teaching Company" DVDs. Most work fine, however there are a few that are a bit more tricky than others.

If you let me know what DVD it is, I might be able to find it and figure out what is causing the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Electrode

Reaction score
where do I put my converted dvd file on my Droid? I just monted it to the computer for the first time, wow, there is a lot of folders and files.

mikespe

Reaction score
You are correct...it is a burned DVD. However it was burned with a DVD burner/VHS Player I have. I recorded a concert to my DVR and transferred it to DVD using this recorder. I will try another store bought DVD tomorrow. Thanks for the help

D

dvdcatalyst

You are correct...it is a burned DVD. However it was burned with a DVD burner/VHS Player I have. I recorded a concert to my DVR and transferred it to DVD using this recorder. I will try another store bought DVD tomorrow. Thanks for the help

I've been trying to get my hands on DVDs burned through standalone DVD burners for years. JVC in particular, since I had a few people mention something about those not always working correctly.
I have asked computer/TV stores for sample burns, even if they are just a few minutes, but never successful.
It easy for me to get commercial DVDs, I just pick them up or rent them as needed, but for burned ones, it's quite hard. Burning software usually has trial versions which enables me to try a few, see what I run into so I can take care of it, but with the stand-alone ones, its near impossible for me.

Electrode

Reaction score
ok, I got the video on the Droid, and have it playing, it's in normal format, not wide screen. Is there a way to fill the screen with it. It's origanl format was full screen not, wide.

Also should I just use the movie player or should I download a better app, like Act 1?

Thanks for all the help

astevens54

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Anyone here try Handbrake? I'm curious as to how it compares to Catalyst.

D

dvdcatalyst

ok, I got the video on the Droid, and have it playing, it's in normal format, not wide screen. Is there a way to fill the screen with it. It's origanl format was full screen not, wide.

http://tinyurl.com/ybqvpxk

Also should I just use the movie player or should I download a better app, like Act 1?

Thanks for all the help

The default player does not show titles, Act 1 has been brought up as the best one to use by some people. They have a trial version as well.

D

dvdcatalyst

handbrake

There are quite a few posts in regards of people using Handbrake, just use the search at the top right, and you will find most of them.

digitaldave52

Reaction score
I've tried handbrake, Gom encoder, DVD Catalyst 3 and AVS Video Converter. Hands down...DVD Catalyst is my choice! I have had some issues with ISO's on my computer not wanting to encode but the same issues were present with the other apps as well. DVD Catalyst is quick, very easy to setup, produces a very good output file and you can't beat the support given in this forum. Not to mention...the price is VERY easy on the wallet :icon_ banana:

JTAC

Reaction score

Tried HandBrake, both the old and new versions. No matter what my settings were...even if they were very low settings (picture blurry) I would experience a very noticeable audio and video lag.

DVD Catalyst is my choice by far. The first week I got my Droid I tried about 12 different free programs for video. All of them were not to my expectations, decided to try DVD Catalyst and I am more than happy. Plus this is the first software program I have actually been able to get a hold of the developer and ask questions.