DVD Catalyst

nmcmahan52

Reaction score
i converted 12 monkeys with the hq2 setting and it worked so i'll use that from now on, before i used the general "DROID" setting

D

dvdcatalyst

i converted 12 monkeys with the hq2 setting and it worked so i'll use that from now on, before i used the general "DROID" setting

The "Droid" setting (non-hq) should work just fine. I'll have JTAC try it and see if he can tell me a little on what is going on.

Thank you..
Glad its working on HQ2 though.

Reaction score
dvd catalyst, do you have any plans to eventually support blu ray directly from the disc, like you do dvd now?

D

dvdcatalyst

dvd catalyst, do you have any plans to eventually support blu ray directly from the disc, like you do dvd now?

Yes, absolutely !

Problem is, the Bluray people (Sony mainly) keep updating the protection system. AnyDVD HD, the best bluray protection removal tool available has to release updates for pretty much every bluray movie that is released.

There are 2 ways blurays are converted. Either using a ripper, such as AnyDVD, which removes the protection from the disc, and then other tools can access the unprotected files to convert.
Another way is to have the computer "play" the movie, and have it record at the same time.

The recording method is used by many tools, and is capable of converting other protected content as well, but the thing I don't like about it from a developers perspective is the speed limitation. You have to play the movie realtime to have it record AND you have to have a very powerful computer to be able to convert it realtime. DVD Catalyst uses the ripping method, which results in faster than real time conversions, and a consistent quality on slower and newer PC's The speed of your computer determines the speed of the conversion. With the recording methods, the speed of your computer determines the quality.

So, until bluray is a bit more matured and not require new firmware updates for bluray drives every week to play new movies, I'm holding off still.

I might have a go at the recording method, but if I do implement that, I'm not looking forward to peoples complaints in regards of speed.

Reaction score
I for one would have no problem with the recorded method if it works every time. The problem I have now is that no one program can do it all consistently. Some blue rays and mkvs can be ripped on one but not another and vice versa.

I don't have a problem letting my computer do its thing while I sleep or am away....I just want a one and done program for all file blue ray and regular DVDs.

Count me uniform u can do this. I'm currently using pav tube for blue ray ripping, but have had a couple that wouldn't go. Also had some stuttering on one conversion...but I do like the easy interface .

KOUSAKA-SAN

Reaction score
I found out how to fix the audio sync problem. Root the Droid and run SetCPU. At 800mhz the movies and sound are in sync. 1000mhz did not make it any better, but the stock 550mhz just cant keep up with HD video and sound. It used to go out of sync when I skipped around in the video and stay out of sync. Now, after a jump, it will start out of sync like it used to, but correct itself right away.I spent so much time trying many different conversion methods and had many sync problems. Once I set my Droid to 800mhz even the old conversions that were out of sync play fine now.

D

dvdcatalyst

I found out how to fix the audio sync problem. Root the Droid and run SetCPU. At 800mhz the movies and sound are in sync. 1000mhz did not make it any better, but the stock 550mhz just cant keep up with HD video and sound. It used to go out of sync when I skipped around in the video and stay out of sync. Now, after a jump, it will start out of sync like it used to, but correct itself right away.I spent so much time trying many different conversion methods and had many sync problems. Once I set my Droid to 800mhz even the old conversions that were out of sync play fine now.

I noticed you posted the same in the "Ideal Video Format" thread, in which is applies to video conversions that have sync issues, but for the normal conversions with DVD Catalyst, the overclocking is not needed. Only when you have other programs running in the background, or when the bitrate exceeds 1500kbps for the video does it make a difference.

The normal, hq and hq2 profiles should work just fine even on the stock speed.
If there are sync issues, a battery pull/softreset (which stops the programs that might be running in the background) is the easiest solution.

cyber3d

Reaction score
FWIW, I keep my conversion bitrate down to 1000kbps and turn off wi-fi, bluetooth, gps, and sync to watch movies. Not only are my videos smooth as silk, but I think it keeps the Droid from running hot.

KOUSAKA-SAN

Reaction score
By the way, I do like your converter a lot! I thought I was having problems with it at first because the audio was way out of sync with every conversion I tried on my Win7 mediaplayer. Then I found out it was win7! The videos played just fine on the Droid. There are some DVDs that are slower to convert. The Star Wars DVD's took 1h 30m no matter what setting I tried. But even DVDfab had to go slow to pull those files. It must be an encryption problem.

D

dvdcatalyst

By the way, I do like your converter a lot! I thought I was having problems with it at first because the audio was way out of sync with every conversion I tried on my Win7 mediaplayer. Then I found out it was win7! The videos played just fine on the Droid. There are some DVDs that are slower to convert. The Star Wars DVD's took 1h 30m no matter what setting I tried. But even DVDfab had to go slow to pull those files. It must be an encryption problem.

I remember, we emailed back and forth for over a week troubleshooting that, and in the end it was WMP on Win7. But thankfully you figured that one out, and now I use that information almost on a daily basis (even mentioned in 6-8 posts on these forums). You have no idea how much it has helped me out.

Anyway, the Star Wars DVDs do have a bit of a stronger protection, but they are also encoded at the highest quality the DVD standard supports, which results in longer conversion times.

KOUSAKA-SAN

Reaction score
By the way, I noticed there is no "same as" frame rate setting. I find that there is a slight hesitation in the video playback when it was not set to the original. Even the 29.97 to 30 makes a bit of difference. Right now I run the movie in KMPlayer to see the frame rate and then set it in DVD Catalyst. But all I can pick is either 29 or 30. Is there a way to make it exact?

D

dvdcatalyst

By the way, I noticed there is no "same as" frame rate setting. I find that there is a slight hesitation in the video playback when it was not set to the original. Even the 29.97 to 30 makes a bit of difference. Right now I run the movie in KMPlayer to see the frame rate and then set it in DVD Catalyst. But all I can pick is either 29 or 30. Is there a way to make it exact?

Leave it at 30.
DVD Catalyst uses the lowest of either the source or the selected setting. so if the video is 29.something, and its set to 30, it will use 29.something.

KOUSAKA-SAN

Reaction score
And that wasnt me emailing you about Win7. I emailed you about restoring my computer and would DVD Catalyst still work from the download if I bought it. (And by the way it did) I didnt find out about the Win7 Mplayer problem until I read it a couple of pages ago. I thought one of the other conversion programs I had tried had messed up my computer making Mplayer not work. I did a factory restore yesterday and just now tried Mplayer again. It still wont play in sync, though the same file plays great on the Droid.

D

dvdcatalyst

And that wasnt me emailing you about Win7. I emailed you about restoring my computer and would DVD Catalyst still work from the download if I bought it. (And by the way it did) I didnt find out about the Win7 Mplayer problem until I read it a couple of pages ago. I thought one of the other conversion programs I had tried had messed up my computer making Mplayer not work. I did a factory restore yesterday and just now tried Mplayer again. It still wont play in sync, though the same file plays great on the Droid.

I'm sorry, my mistake. I thought it was you who brought it to my attention a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spyte

Reaction score
I've searched and searched incessantly for the last...30 seconds or so;

I like to rip or download tv shows and watch them on my lunch hour. When i used dvdcatalyst to rip psych recently (my first attempt at tv and not movies with the software) i ended up with doubles and triples of the same show. With a disk that had 5 episodes on it, i ended up with 12 ripped episodes, all exactly the same. used the same settings as i would use for a movie. My question is: is there any way to avoid multiples? I have not tried it again so i don't know if my results are atypical.

ps. great product, and with anydvd it's just about perfect.