DVD Catalyst Language Flip Flop

C3-PO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V20
Hi All,
I've been using DVD Catalyst 3 with the booster pack for a while now and am very happy with the product. However, I recently ripped Drunken Master and noticed that throughout the movie, the language flip-flops back and forth between chinese and english. I think it switches every chapter. Is there a setting I need to fix. All other movies ripped perfectly.

D

dvdcatalyst

Hi All,
I've been using DVD Catalyst 3 with the booster pack for a while now and am very happy with the product. However, I recently ripped Drunken Master and noticed that throughout the movie, the language flip-flops back and forth between chinese and english. I think it switches every chapter. Is there a setting I need to fix. All other movies ripped perfectly.

It's not something as a "feature" in DVD Catalyst that would cause this behavior. This is something I've never heard of before. The only thing that could be related to it is the "Forced Subtitles" option, which is enabled by default, but this is turned off when a subtitle is actually selected.

You can try turning off the boosterpack for this DVD, and see if that helps, or try a rip with the "split in chapters (scenes)" option turned on.

I'll rent the DVD, and see what I can find out. Might be a few days due to the new year coming up.

edit: Which specific Drunken Master DVD is it? there are a few. I just noticed there's a #3 out too :)

Just a tip, email me directly, or use an existing thread.

While I do hang out on the forums, I get notifications when messages are posted in existing threads, but not when new ones are created. Usually its faster to email me directly. I'm currently working on some new features, so the only way for me to know is by my gmail notifier.

Thanks,

Mitch

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
C3-PO

C3-PO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V20
Ok, I'll notify you directly form here on out.

It's the first Drunken Master, but not the original dub. I had the VHS of this movie and another DVD of this movie but the voice-overs are different. I'm at work right now and don't have the movie with me but as soon as I get home I'll get the info for you and e-mail it.

Thanks, I have about 60 DVDs and am about 70% done ripping them all

D

dvdcatalyst

Ok, I'll notify you directly form here on out.

It's the first Drunken Master, but not the original dub. I had the VHS of this movie and another DVD of this movie but the voice-overs are different. I'm at work right now and don't have the movie with me but as soon as I get home I'll get the info for you and e-mail it.

Thanks, I have about 60 DVDs and am about 70% done ripping them all

I added the 1978 Jackie Chan version to my netflix queue. I'm sending the ones I have at home now, so I should have it on saturday.
If its not the correct one, let me know before the morning, so I can add the correct one.

So 40-45 DVDs, done already :)

As for the communication, it doesn't bother me to have people report issues directly on the forums, its just easier and faster to ask directly.
Last week I stumbled upon a video thread in the General section, which is where I never used to look. People were asking for me, and I didn't see the thread until a day and a half later. I still pitched in, but at most people have to wait about 8 hours for an answer (I do sleep :))

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dvdcatalyst

I recently ripped Drunken Master and noticed that throughout the movie, the language flip-flops back and forth between chinese and english. I think it switches every chapter.

The movie came in today, and I've been running a few tests to see if I can replicate the issue. My guess is that it has something to0 do with the forced subtitles on this particular movie.

The first test I did was with chinese audio selected (defaults) and enabled the English subs. I did turn off the forced subs. While I did not watch the full movie, I skimmed through it, and it looks like all the subs are as they should.

The second test, I enabled the same languages, but enabled the forced subs. (which makes it the same as the defaults for conversion), and also the subs appear all in english.

Can you give me some time-locations in the movie of where the other subs would be?

OP
C3-PO

C3-PO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V20
Hello,
Thank for checking into this over the holiday. The language switch seems to occur at every chapter. I think it must be a problem with the dvd, though, because I noticed that I have to change the language back even when I play it on a regular DVD player. I set the language at the beginning but it would always turn back to chinese when it starts and i have to set it again while in the movie. At first I thought maybe i just wasn't setting it right in the begining, but now, thinking about it, It must be a problem with the actual DVD. I'm at work again and I forgot to get the info for the exact DVD that's giving me the problem. Thanks for your input.