Dust under screen

Discussion in 'Droid X Tech Support' started by martin9752, Jul 15, 2010.

1. martin9752

martin9752 New Member

Hey everyone,

I hope everyone is enjoying their new toys. I got the X today and when I got in my car like an excited child I was cleaning the screen putting the screen protector on and I noticed that there was dust/lint under the screen in like 3-4 places. Granted nothing major but I am extremley OCD with my devices and this was really bothering me. I went into the store and got another one. The reps looked at me like I had 10 heads and kept saying they couldnt find it. I had to show them a couple times. Finally they replaced the device and low and behold on my way back to work I noticed my new X had the same issue. I went to another verizon thinking they had a bad batch and they would not exchange the device because they didnt think it was a big enough issue. I was not OK with that response so I returned the phone and went back to my Droid Incredible. I am pissed because I liked the phone. Extremely fast, cool UI and would have been a dream to watch movies and play games, but ultimatley I will wait it out to see if this is a problem that other people notice. Let me know if anyone is having these issues.
    Martin ​
  2. barski

barski New Member

at least you had a working droid x. i carried mine in my pocket took it down some gravel roads on the ATV and there is nothing that i can see. literally mine is junk but it wasnt because of outside factors.
  3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Dust under the screen is covered by warranty. If it's bothering you, take it back and get another one.
  4. ChugIt

ChugIt New Member

My wife works for Verizon and she helps test new models. No I cannot help anyone develop by testing stuff on these phones she gets, she has to return them as she got them and if something goes wrong it is her job.

OK that out of the way: Anyways.... We had an X here for a week and it absolutely did not have that issue. I hope it doesn't become a trend though. If it did I'm sure they wouldn't blow it off as a software issue like others have done. :x
  5. TMH478

TMH478 New Member

Not this again. Several people had the same problem with the.original Droid. You would have thought they would have.learned something.
  6. baniels

baniels New Member

Mine has the same thing. CSR on the phone last night told me to take it to a retail location for an exchange (since I'm within the 30 day worry-free).

It appeared about 7 or 8 days after I received it.
  7. Taurus

Taurus New Member

Not sure why you felt necessary to divulge this information, LOL. No dust here flawless device.
  8. PACanesFan

PACanesFan New Member

Coming over from a Motorola Q9C, this was a major problem on that phone. I went through 3 different phones over the course of 2 years (other problems led to phone failure) and each one had the problem of dust under the screen.

I really hope this problem doesn't manifest itself on this phone as well. So far, so good with my X.
  9. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

Every phone I've had has had this issue. It drives me INSANE too. Glad to hear its covered. I will for sure get a replacement if dust gets under my screen.
  10. antnyh

antnyh New Member

Say it ain't so!! I am switching from a BB Storm1 this week. Phone is being shipped sometime soon. I had this same problem on the Storm. Until you notice it, it won't bother you, but as soon as you see it you see it all the time. The worse seems to be outside on a black screen, but you can see it on a white background as well. This sucks.
  11. denmcdon

denmcdon New Member

With my first Droid i thought i had dust under the screen, turned out to be dust under the screen protecter.Nothing under my X.
  12. unseenvision

unseenvision New Member

I'm having the same issue. There's already one noticeable speck of black dust under my Droid X screen and maybe one or two other smaller ones that can bee seen if you look closely. I'm already getting my X exchanged for the larger piece of dust that I noticed after only 3 days with the phone. I had to pull teeth in order to get the exchange though. The Verizon rep told me that dust under the screen wasn't covered under the warranty. I had to get kind of aggressive on the phone in order to get it exchanged, which I feel bad about now because if it's a Droid X issue than it's most likely going to happen again unless I put my phone in a vacuum seal. I wish this wasn't an issue with phones but it seems like every touch screen phone I get ends up getting some kind of dust under the screen and it's very annoying to me.
  13. civicseth

civicseth New Member

Mine, too, has dust under the screen. I ordered mine through Amazon.com and I called them up and told them, and they said they normally do not like to do exchanges such as this, but ordered me a replacement. It will be here Monday, and I will ship the old one back to them. Mine has one larger(3-4pixels) dust spot, and 2 smaller(1-2 pixels) spots under the glass, above the LCD. It is right in the middle of the screen, so I had to call and complain, because it is super annoying on such an expensive device. I wish they sealed up the space between the LCD and glass a little better. I had a very similar issue on my iPhone 3G, but it was small enough that I simply dealt with it.
  14. unseenvision

unseenvision New Member

That makes me second guess my decision to get another Droid X replacement. I know exactly what you're talking about with the buttons. You can pretty much see all the way to the back of the screen between and above the buttons. It's no wonder dust can get in like it does. It's making me want a Droid 2 or Incredible instead.
  15. civicseth

civicseth New Member

I wish they had sealed up the space between the glass and LCD to prevent this from happening. I hate using cases on my phones, but I might have to get some sort of case to keep dust out. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I'm sure if I keep using the phone and keeping it in my pocket, that it will accumulate dust just like my current X.
  16. sabester24

sabester24 New Member

I've got a question:

I just got my SGP Steniheil Ultra Crystal Clear screen protectors today. I was cleaning my screen with a microfiber cloth when I noticed what seemed like dust under the actual screen. I kept wiping it and nothing helped. I didn't think much of it and applied the screen protectors anyway. Now that the screen protectors are on, the dust seems to be magnified (kinda reflects funny, almost looks like a dead pixel). It's not a huge issue, but it does bother me. I'm considering trying to exchange my Droid X for a new one at Wal-Mart. Can I take off the SGP screen protector and place it on my "new" Droid X? I just spent $20 on the screen protectors and don't want them to go to waste. Any ideas to make sure this is really dust UNDER the screen....

Any help would be great.

Thanks!
  17. liferefugee

liferefugee New Member

most screen protectors are a 1 shot deal, that is why you get multiple in a pack normally.
  18. adrenalinemotion

adrenalinemotion New Member

i had these dust under the screen issues with my droid 1, i'm hoping they don't start with my droid x. i always carried my droid 1 in my pocket, which i'm now wondering if it contributed to the problem. i really despise belt clips, but if it keeps the dust from getting under the screen, it might have to be the route to take.
Search tags for this page
dirt under droid screen

droid x dust under screen

droid x gunk under glass
droid x2 dust test
dust between screens on droid x
dust dot in htc droid dna screen
dust inside droid screen
dust under droid x screen
dusty screen in my car
how do i clean the lint from behind the screen of a droid 2
motorola bionic gets dust under screen