Dust under screen, not allowed to exchange

OP
R

roflcopters

Reaction score
I tried several times to get the dust out of my view with canned air, but it didn't really do anything. I was told at the store they don't clean or replace phones for that kind of thing. I was also told Motorola would clean it for me. I was just lucky enough to keep pestering them and ended up getting a new one.

pilot25

Reaction score
Baloney!! Within the first 30 day period you should be able to get a replacement. I got 3 of them and one was for dust under the screen. One for the prox. sensor problem and one for the camera.

Demand satisfaction...

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
And and and... I got one replaced because I just didn't like the way the salesman looked at me... I said REPLACE IT.. He asked why and I said you gave me a LOOK.

That taught him.

JTAC

Reaction score
Damn, that sucks you had to go through that whole ordeal. I too had dust under my screen. I got mine from Wal-Mart; went to a corporate store after the 30 days and they filled out the form on their computer and 1 day later had a brand new phone. I remember working for at&t (not that long ago) and when customers would come in for issues with their phones we gave them an address to visit, which was 40 miles away (this was encouraged by regional, store, and corporate managers). Unfortunately I learned the hard way by getting written up, not to exchange any equipment before 30 days. Sadly it was also encouraged by the store, regional and corporate managers that if it's clear a customer isn't going to buy anything....don't help them out or bother to greet them. Verizon's service is the opposite way.

Smitty

Reaction score
LOL, it just gives me the creeps when sales reps give the old 'hairy eyeball', I don't blame you, I would have asked for another phone too!

trevorparsons

Reaction score
Wanted to share my exchange experiences:

1. Ordered Droid and new VZW contract off Amazon, Droid was $149.99.

2. Received from Amazon quickly, but phone was a complete lemon. No matter what I tried to do based off forum suggestions and the guidance of VZW phone tech support, the phone would not receive a cellular signal, hence not allowing me to make/receive phone calls/texts.

3. VZW said since I got the phone from Amazon, I would have to go through Amazon to exchange.

4. Contact Amazon, told they straight up do not offer exchanges on cell phones, only returns.

5a. Hence, I'd have to return my phone to Amazon, cancel my VZW account (thankfully it was w/in the original 30-day span), re-order a new Droid through Amazon (VZW wouldn't price match the $149.99) and start all over with a new phone number (of course, only after I'd already given it out to all my contacts and updated several contact info profiles). OR...

5b. Return the phone to Amazon, go into a VZW store, cancel my current account, start a new account in-store, and instantly receive a new Droid for $299.99 with a $100 mail-in rebate. OR...

5c. Return the phone to Amazon, cancel my current account over the phone, go online and order a new Droid with a new account for $199.99 and wait for it to come in the mail.

6. In relaying my Amazon issues with VZW support, eventually a supervisor offered to send me a refurb if I returned my lemon directly to them. The refurb would still carry a 1-year warranty and there'd be no charge for the overnight shipping. I agreed.

7. New (refurb) phone arrives promptly, works just fine and all is well!

8. After two weeks, I have accumulated more and more dust under the screen. It now spans a little over 1/8 of the screen, spreading a little more every couple of days. Otherwise, everything about this specific unit works perfect.

9. Went into a VZW store today, explained it was a refurb sent by VZW because my original lemon was from Amazon, and he gave me the customer support number to call. He said because I didn't buy it directly from VZW, that's the route I'd have to take. Had I bought it from them, he said, they would have switched it out to a brand new Droid on the spot.

10. Called customer support today, explained the dust situation and original mishap. The woman who helped me was EXTREMELY polite, pleasent, and helpful. She has another refurb shipping my way to exchange, no questions asked and no charge for shipping.

11. Now I only hope the third time is a charm!

Moral of the story? Sometimes saving $50 up front isn't the best move in the end! Also, despite having some issues with the Droid hardware, I have been overwhelmingly impressed with VZW customer support! I had previously been with AT&T/Cingular for the past six years and cannot believe how big the difference between these two is!!! And, of course, I still haven't thought twice about giving up on the Droid and going with a different phone. Thank you VZW!