Duplicate Texts Using Handcent

vthokies1996

Reaction score
I do not take my phone into my office with me. During the day, I keep it powered off in my car.

During the day if someone sends me a text, while the phone is powered off, I will receive 3 copies of the text once I power on the phone.

Example, Yesterday I powered on the phone and within 30 seconds I received 2 text messages. They were the same text from one of my friends. Then about 30sec to 1 minute later I received the same text again.

I know its not the person sending the text numerous times. Has anyone else experienced this issue with handcent. I prefer handcent to the stock texting app. Is there a setting I am missing or does anyone have suggestions that will prevent me from receiving duplicate texts?

Thanks

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Have you turned off notifications in the stock messaging app? That's the first thing I'd check.

Other than that.....I've experienced a few duplicate messages every once in a blue moon from my wife to my Droid using the CyanogenMod Messaging app I had compiled in my Rom. It was just a once in a blue moon occurrence, though it was only a duplicate and not three.

OP
vthokies1996

vthokies1996

Reaction score
Yes. I have the stock messaging app turned off. These are all duplicate handcent messages. I only receive duplicates after turning the phone on and someone sent me a text while the phone was turned off.

When the phone is on and I get a text, I only receive it once.

jayman350

Reaction score
I have this happen pretty frequently. Its mostly been on txts from my gf, who is on vigin mobile. I just blamed it on virgin, but now you are making me think that it is Handcent.

I'm thinking I might dump handcent for the stock app, i've tried all of the others and nothing really jumps out at me.

OP
vthokies1996

vthokies1996

Reaction score
I know that its not Virgin Mobile, since none of my friends are on Virgin Mobile.

I sent an email to [email protected] asking about the issue. I'll post their response when/if I get it.

TheIceCable

Reaction score
I want to chime in here as well... I have been having the same issues with recieving the exact same texts, up to 6 times at once, from a number of different people, across all services (att, vzw, sprint, tmobile) and all phones (iphones, droids, galaxy s, normal phones). I have searched google until I am blue in the face and no one has a solution. I have had several roms, I have had several msging apps, I have also had the issue on the stock app. I would love for someone to figure this out and fix it. I have tried unchecking the auto retrieve, removing the stock msg .apk, freezing apps, I've done it all to no avail. Just know its not just you having this trouble, its all over the place. so theirs my .02....

TyrantII

Reaction score
Also having this issue. I'm situated between two towers and think my signal tower hopping might have something to do with it. I also have handcent, but it only appears to happen at home where that issue is. If I have a strong signal and am elsewhere it doesn't seem to happen.

knighthonor

Reaction score
I have this happen pretty frequently. Its mostly been on txts from my gf, who is on vigin mobile. I just blamed it on virgin, but now you are making me think that it is Handcent.

I'm thinking I might dump handcent for the stock app, i've tried all of the others and nothing really jumps out at me.
I am having this issue lately with the Stock app. I dont have any other sms apps. I am getting multiple messages.

chrisawol

Reaction score
HELP !!!!!!!!!!!! ***** Same Problem Duplicate Texts ****** HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every SINGLE text I receive on my new DROID RAZR MAXX with gingerbread through Handcent is doubled up, drives me F-ing Nuts.I shut off the native app notifications but that didn't help.I had the HTC thunderbolt and gingerbread and had no problem at all with HANDCENT.Here is what tried already
  1. Uninstalled and re-installed already
  2. cleared cache
  3. shut of native text messaging notifications
  4. restarted phone
  5. no battery to pull option on RAZR MAXX
Someone please HELP a Brother out.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

chrisawol

Reaction score
Well that information that really helps me alot!!! :icon_ banana:

Anyone else have some Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy?

craigschroeder

Reaction score
I've had this on Handcent before and now I'm getting dups occasionally with gummyjar and "stock" msg app.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

bosman999

Reaction score
duplicate text messages on Samsing Galaxy Nexus

I am having the same problem on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus--for the last week, EVERY SINGLE text message I have received has been in duplicate. The problem is not limited to handcent--I am also getting duplicate text messages in the native messaging app.

I've had the phone since the week it came out (November, I believe), and this problem just started last week (late February).

Help!

SEColwell

Reaction score
I have had that issue with handcent SMS pro and stock on DX, Bionic , Razr and Razr Maxx......I think its more a network issue not device

Mr.Colwell's Razr Maxx covered with an otterbox defender with an invisisheild screen protector! ®™