Duplicate Text Messages (Not Notifications)

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by Skurvy_Pirate, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Skurvy_Pirate

Skurvy_Pirate New Member

I have been getting a lot of duplicate text messages lately. Last night I got 7 of the same message. Usually it is only 2-3 dups, but sometimes more. It is happening A LOT though, like 1/3 messages I get probably. I tried reinstalling the ROM and I am still getting it.

I am not using any Text message app, and it is not duplicate notifications. When I open my messages, there will be 4 of the exact same message in the conversation.

Anyone experiencing this or know of a fix?
  2. dro855

dro855 New Member

I had an issue, but I don't know if its the same issue, because I never saw the dup text. People would just tell me they were getting dups from old conversations.

My issue was common, and caused by a bug that causes the phone to resend messages upon reboot. I have Handscent SMS, and it actually has a setting to prevent dup messages from being sent. Since I enabled the option, I haven't had anyone else alert me to any dup text.

So, is it your phone that is sending the dup text or are you receiving them from your contact? Can you check your message counters or the verizon app to see if they count towards your plans. At least that way you would know if its actually sending anything or just generating dups within the app. If I were you, I would try a third party app just to test and see what happens. Hell, if you don't get any dups, you can just remove the stock app. Thats what I did in favor of Handscent
  3. Skurvy_Pirate

Skurvy_Pirate New Member

I am receiving the duplicates. It is from multiple people so I assume that it is within the phone and not Verizon, but I will double check my usage to make sure.

I can also try a different messaging app and see if that is the cause.
  4. rpainter4

rpainter4 New Member

Not sure why it is happening but I occasionally have the same thing happen. I have a stock D1 with the most recent OTA update. Using Handcent for messaging. Sometimes I will start receiving multiple copies of the same message. Checking my usage through Verizon, I have confirmed only one message was sent to my phone, so the duplication is occuring on the phone. When it starts a reboot usually clears it up. Has only happened a few times, so has not been a big deal for me.

dro855 - Was not aware of the Handcent setting to prevent the resend on reboot. Have had that happen a few times as well. Have now enabled that setting. Thanks!
  5. RoscoeDpG

RoscoeDpG New Member

i got this prob at times ill get someone sends me "hi" and it will send 3 of them in row to me.....i think it might be that im using sms popup not huge deal just annoying at times
  6. Game4set

Game4set New Member

Can you check the "Dialer Storage" for me in Settings>Applications>Manage Applications?
  7. Skurvy_Pirate

Skurvy_Pirate New Member

I am using SMS Popup too but I don't think that is the root cause but I might try running without it for a while.

What do you want to know about dialer storage? Size? Mine is only 12mb.

Sent from my Droid
  8. telex9471

telex9471 New Member

I had this problem for the last 6 month and all of a sudden it died off. If you are using another sms app make sure that the stock sms message notifications are turned off. But usually even when I had that setup correctly I still got double texts from usually the same people. I read that it happens due to the distance from the sender to receiver. Basically if there is any dropped packets from A (sender) to B (you) Verizon resends the SMS automatically and usually it takes 2 or more tries to get the full message (packet) even though you get the message multiple times Verizon only logs it once and discards the bad sms's. It will only correct itself over time and you can update your phones location just for kicks by dialing *228
  9. Milton515

Milton515 New Member

I have been having the same problem... Im using Chompsms and also people I send a text to say that they receive the text more than one time when I only sent it one time... I have been having this issue since I have rooted my phone, it doesn't seem to matter which rom Im using it still seems to continue

Phone: OG D1
    Rom: MIUI 1.1.14.0
    Theme: Meizu M9
    Kernel: Stock
  10. shoot2scre

shoot2scre New Member

I have this same problem running UD 2.5

I'm very curious what would result in the same issues occurring across different handsets and different ROMs. Anyone with any suggestions, or if anyone wants me to test a theory... I'm ready, willing and listening.
  11. speakercode

speakercode New Member

^this

I have not had a problem with sending multiples of SMS, just multiple receiving -- usually 2x for every message. But not always, sometimes just one, but sometimes 3. I don't see this problem so much when I'm nearer a larger metropolitan area with better coverage, but when I'm out near my house (rural area) then I definitely get 2x the SMS.

It's happened to me across multiple ROMs and before I rooted, so I'm not too freaked about it, more annoyed at times. It's just a reality of living somewhere that VZW hasn't bothered to make sure there is adequate coverage.
  12. alwerner

alwerner New Member

Am I to assume you are using non-stock SMS? I had this problem with Handcent and there were some "switch" that needed changes to keep the stock SMS application from causing Handcent from reporting duplicate messages. I have not seen this problem with stock or Verizon Messaging (which is better then stock but not as full featured as Handcent, but faster).
  13. speakercode

speakercode New Member

I have been using Handcent almost since day one, but if I opened the Messaging app, I would see the multiple SMS in there as well. This lead me to believe that it wasn't Handcent but a Verizon thing as I'd receive the messages anywhere from 10 seconds apart to a minute apart and they'd show up no matter what the messaging app.
  14. doublea500

doublea500 New Member

ive had this problem as well... very annoying when your trying to reply to someone and there message comes 2 more times in a row
  15. Skurvy_Pirate

Skurvy_Pirate New Member

I don't think that it is service related for me because I live in a big city. And I have looked when it happened and will have full bars.
  16. telex9471

telex9471 New Member

It's not about just your signal..... The message has a route that it travels from and to. From the sender to the cell tower (or multiple cell towers) through a data center through more towers and to you. If any of those points fail even for a second the message has to be resent. The original message may still make it to you but it is still considered a failed message by the servers.

P.S. My logic is not exact but that is basically how all data is transfered to the end user.
  17. metzor

metzor New Member

Sorry to bump an older thread, but this bug drives me crazy. I'm on stock non rooted and I'm forced to use the native VZW sms app because of this. I've tried Handcent, ChompSMS and goSMS, and with all of them I would almost always get 2x messages, and sometimes 3, 4 or 5 of the same message. I'd check the native app and there would be the duplicate messages, but once I uninstalled the sms apps it hardly ever happens, very very rarely. Quite strange, and quite annoying because I loved the features of those other apps. It can't be a coincidence because I've re-installed them multiple times, and the problem comes and goes with them.
  18. nmos

nmos New Member

This used to happen with my old Moto flip phone so I don’t think it's a Droid specific issue.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
Search tags for this page
chomp sms double messages
chompsms duplicate message recieved
hack verizon text messages

how to make your phone stop sending duplicate messages

if double texts are sent without
lg g2 sending multiple texts
verizon messaging app sending duplicate messages

what causes double text messages

what causes duplicate text messages

what would cause duplicate text messages on my lg g2
why do i get 2 identical text messages on my htc?
why does my phone send duplicate text messages