Duplicate notifications with Handcent/Messaging

f150steeler

Reaction score
Since I downloaded Handcent I get duplicate notifications for text messages from Handcent and the default Messaging app. I have not been able to figure out a way around this. Any suggestions?

Signum

Reaction score
open the default messenger service

menu->settings->uncheck notifications

OP
f150steeler

f150steeler

Reaction score
duh :| that was easy. I'm such a noob...lol THANKS!

sjleader

Reaction score
Yeah, I tried this and when someone txt's me, the default still pops up and not handcent...The native app has been deselected and handscent is selected to notify... Any thoughts?
Thanks, this is annoying.

JayMonster

Reaction score
Yeah, I tried this and when someone txt's me, the default still pops up and not handcent...The native app has been deselected and handscent is selected to notify... Any thoughts?
Thanks, this is annoying.

This makes absolutely no sense. Go back, turn them both on, make sure they both notify, and then turn off the standard messaging again (only thing I could come up with).

isabelsmom

Reaction score
The same thing happened to me. I turned off the default messanger notificaton weeks ago. Still getting notifications from both, though.

jgmarz

Reaction score
The same thing happened to me. I turned off the default messanger notificaton weeks ago. Still getting notifications from both, though.
Go into messenger settings and make sure auto retrieve and notifications are unchecked

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Is Handcent selected as the default app?

isabelsmom

Reaction score
It is. This is what I'm getting: A pop up with the message. The gray "Close" "Delete" and "Reply" buttons are at the bottom of the pop up. At this time Handcent says I have 2 texts (only have 1). If I press "Reply" it takes me to the Handcent conversation. If I press "Close" it takes me to the same message in a pop up behind the first pop up. This one has the green "Reply" button and icons above the reply message area. Handcent STILL says I have 2 messages.
I wonder if I should un-install Handcent, as it's been sooo irritating!

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Have you tried to go into Handcent and turn off the pop up notifications? I have not had this happen to me and I have used Handcent since getting my droid. I only have the notification appear in the notification bar. I have stopped all pop ups. This might fix the problem.

isabelsmom

Reaction score
After disabling pop ups in handcent, I see the pop ups are coming from Messaging. Even though I have everything un-checked in that and have since I uinstalled Handcent. Does anyone know if I can make Messaging see that I have everything un-checked?