Dunked in water!

vinnus

Reaction score
UGH, I dropped my Razr in the sink while washing my hands! I rescued it right away and it still turns on but it has been acting weird (fuzzy outgoing call sound, not going to lock screen, freezing up, etc). I turned it off, opened the SDI card door, and packed it up in a container of dry rice to absorb any moisture. Did I kill it? Is there anything else I can do?????

I am still within my 14 days to return it and I have the insurance plan but I am guessing water damage isn't covered by Verizon. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

lfylove

Reaction score
If it turns on take it in and say u have a faulty device.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

fauxreall

Reaction score
I thought insurance covered dunking it in water? maybe you can say you lost it? Try what previous guy said, say its faulty and see how that goes.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lying to VZW on this level is fraud and won't be discussed on DF, plus they will know it's gotten wet and charge you full price once the truth comes out

Insurance however covers water damage, it's your best bet - be honest it goes a long way :wink-b:

jtpowell

Reaction score
Yes, I'm pretty sure in the tear down you can see moisture sensor. It's moisture resistant not water proof. If you bought and paid for insurance use it. No need to lie and make things up. You will reap what you sow in the long haul. It's an electronic device accidents happen. It's not worth lying over.

fireman00

Reaction score
I drowned my X in a pool last year. Tried wiping it out, using a hair dryer then left it in a bag of uncooked rice - all to no avail. I check my homeowner's insurance and found there was a rider that covered electronic devices - after a 50 deductible I got a new X. From what I understand the Verizon insurance covers any replacement with a 99 dollar deductible.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I know you guys are trying to help. But, by saying its a faulty device is suggesting insurance fraud. And we don't condone that here at Droid Forums.

Tapped from an Unbrickable DROID

Nyobie

Reaction score
Did you store it in a ziplock bag filled with rice? Yank the battery first and don't turn it on for a couple days. Then try it. The rice supposedly absorbs the moisture in the phone. It worked for my brother. Twice.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

jtpowell

Reaction score
Did you store it in a ziplock bag filled with rice? Yank the battery first and don't turn it on for a couple days. Then try it. The rice supposedly absorbs the moisture in the phone. It worked for my brother. Twice.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt
Yank the battery first. Snicker snicker.

skruid

Reaction score
The rice does work I dunked my d1, and put it in rice for 3 days and worked like a charm, pull battery first then put in rice

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

gltechguy

Reaction score
I worked as a flextronics tech (vzw tech) for awhile. The insurance is $99 and will get you a "FRU" phone. Thats a certified like new replacement. What has worked for my wife's phone and every phone I've suggested this on is removing battery and back cover and leave the device in the glove box for a day. Here in Florida that's about 110 degrees or so. Works like a charm. If your in the frigid north it might not work so well.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

mastacox

Reaction score
So I guess the both of you missed the part where it was a RAZR and therefore has a non-removable battery? The best he can do is open the SD/SIM card door, bury in silica gel for 24 hrs and hope for the best but my guess is it got hosed. Checking on your homeowners insurance is a good idea too I think...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

VZW_CS

Reaction score

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm pretty sure in the tear down you can see moisture sensor. It's moisture resistant not water proof. If you bought and paid for insurance use it. No need to lie and make things up. You will reap what you sow in the long haul. It's an electronic device accidents happen. It's not worth lying over.

Ah yes...Indeed brother! The truth shall set you free! Better to sleep not worrying what the techs find when they find the simple factory SBF doesn't help. They will scrap it for parts and find moisture residue. Trust me this is visible more after it dries up leaving a nasty film...I see it all the time...

Tapped on the edge of a RAZR...
PEACE! ALL!!-------->>>D2D™