Dump the Iphone for the Droid? Any comments?

timmy

Reaction score
I was an iPhone user for about 3 years, and owned the 2G, the 3G, and the 3G S. I loved it. I was certain I would never not own an iPhone (or different Apple made phone if they ever manufactured one). I overlooked the very spotty coverage in my area, the slow browswer speeds, and the frequently dropped calls and undelivered texts.

Then after having quite a hard time dealing with AT&T and Apple customer service when I had issues with my phone, I decided enough was enough, and it was time to move on, and break away from Apple, AT&T and the iPhone.

I promptly cancelled my contract with AT&T, sold my iPhone, and got a Motorola Droid, and haven't looked back or missed my iPhone once. I love everything the Droid can do. The biggest thing I enjoy more than the iPhone is the extensive customization you can do (without being jailbroken or rooted). If you are rooted, the possibilities are endless.

I highly suggest making the switch to Android.

I have nothing but good things to say about the Android OS, or the Motorola Droid. I guess if I had one complaint it would be that the Facebook app isn't as good as the one for the iPhone, but that's easily remedied by just using your browser to use Facebook.

Go Droid!

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
there's a Verizon iphone coming later this year if you don't mind waiting. otherwise, Droid.

Do you have any proof of this aside from speculation? Everything I've seen shows the exclusivity contract with AT&T has been extended to 2012.

OP, I've never been with any provider other than Verizon, so I cant provide any firsthand experience, but I have spent plenty of time with my friends and their iPhones and no service, and my full bars. I'll never make the switch, no matter how slick they make the iPhone. A fancy phone that doesnt make phone calls is completely useless to me.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
With all the things I liked about the Droid incredible, I am wondering if anyone else here has made the jump from the Iphone to the Droid. What opinions do you have? Any regrets? Any feedback?

Thanks for your time!

Didn't make that jump. Moved from a terrible WinMo phone so I was easy to please. But here are some things to consider.

() Don't count on the long-rumored introduction of the iPhone on VZW. It may happen; it may not. It may be an iPhone; it may be another Apple phone. Whatever conventional wisdom held even three or four months ago has been more or less knocked into a cocked hat by the havoc created by Google o/s updates and a flood of new phones.

() Although VZW is widely considered to have better coverage than AT&T, it's a good idea to check the coverage (before switching) where you live and work. It won't do you much good to switch and have excellent coverage where your wife works and give up good coverage where you live. That's unlikely but not unheard of.

And as long as you're going to switch carriers, you might want to consider the EVO 4G from Sprint unless you already know the coverage won't meet your needs.

() If you like the look and feel of the iPhone you'll probably be happier with the Incredible than with the Droid. The latter is easier to customize (at least currently) but the former is a far more polished consumer device.

() For the foreseeable future the iPhone will continue to get most apps first and they'll continue to have greater functionality. The fact is that the iPhone is a single device with a single stable version of the o/s.

That doesn't mean that the android platform won't have advantages here and there (e.g. Flash 10.1 support.) But the fact remains that the iPhone will usually have 10 options for a particular kind of application while the Android has five. That's irrelevant if one of the five meets your needs, but it isn't irrelevant if you need a particular niche app that the iPhone has and the Android does not.

coondogg97

Reaction score
() Although VZW is widely considered to have better coverage than AT&T, it's a good idea to check the coverage (before switching) where you live and work. It won't do you much good to switch and have excellent coverage where your wife works and give up good coverage where you live. That's unlikely but not unheard of.

You're absolutely right, its not unheard of. I picked up a Nextel phone when Direct Connect first came out. I had to deal with their crappy phone coverage and customer service for all those years! The only place I had coverage was my house, go figure. I finally made the switch to Verizon a few years ago and have service everywhere......but my house.

I picked up an extender from Verizon and it definitely helps, but it can be a little buggy. If I am on a call and I get within 5 feet of the extender sometimes I will lose 80% of my call volume. That would be my only complaint.

But regardless I don't see myself leaving Verizon. There is a huge National Park nearby that everyone drops calls in, except Verizon customers. I can count on one hand how many times I have dropped a call since I have been with them. And the customer service is great as well. I am a big fan of Apple portable devices and for years I was DYING to get an iPhone, but I refused to leave Verizon. Now with Android I am fortunate enough to get the best (or better) of both worlds.

Now when the Verizon iPhone rumor pops up I only get remotely excited. I have no intention on switching, but a device like the iPhone deserves to be on a network like Verizon.

Wow, that turned into a lot of rambling!

bill d.

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone else here has made the jump from the Iphone to the Droid. What opinions do you have? Any regrets? Any feedback?

I did. Made the mistake of going with the Eris though, which reallllllly tainted my opinion of android/VZW. Few weeks ago I bought a Droid second hand, though, and I literally miss NOTHING about my iphone at this point. Service is better. Battery life is better (not by a ton, though). The fact that its open to what YOU want it to do/look like/etc, and not closed off like Apple makes a world of difference.

As far as apps go, Android is getting better and better. Even in the few months since I made the switch, its gotten a lot better.

Think about this: Android 2.1 can do damn near everything, if not more than iPhone OS 4 is capable of. By the time firmware 3.0/4.0 come out, I'm sure Android will be on top by miles.

haythem1992

Reaction score
Corporate att sales rep told my father's rather large business that iphone contract is still till 2013 but i would take that with a grain of salt, he is a salesman trying to convert a decade old account.

FDFTW!!

Reaction score
I switched from the iPhone 3G to the Droid < 1 month ago. I love my Droid and my kickass 4 bar 3G service out in the sticks where I live.

I've forgotten all about the iPhone as a whole. Besides, the Droid is faster, more durable, and better looking too (IMO).

Coming from the iPhone, I hardly ever use the Droid's physical keyboard but it is nice to have from time to time.

Sent from my Droid

issues636

Reaction score
there's a Verizon iphone coming later this year if you don't mind waiting. otherwise, Droid.

i didn't read this whole thread yet (got to this post and felt the need to reply). it was confirmed that AT&T now officially has iPhone rights until 2011. so there's NO chance we're gonna see an iphone in the 2nd half of 2010 like originally stated.

bacalao

Reaction score
I was riding up 8 hrs from tampa to atlanta with iphone buddies and I was having good 3G all the way up. Their phones froze up, couldn't get a signal, etc. I remember another friend, after waiting too long for videos to load asked, "Could we just use the Droid, its better." Funny moment. But I think the iphone ui is really slick.

If you like to tinker and customize a very capable phone, then get the droid. Hasn't let me down, and now it can be bought for $20!

LatinaC09

Reaction score
the droid is awesome!! ive had it for over a week now and have no complaints. I've never had an iPhone so I can't really say how they are however, i do know for a fact and from experience that AT&T signals are terrible....so make the switch dancedroid

armeddroid

Reaction score
Go Droid, Android, whatever...i know mad people who talk about their Iphone screwing up...but interestingly, many people dont care about that fact...they want to cling on to their Iphone so badly.
So..while they are standing in the rain...with no service..Android (like the Energizer Bunny) keeps going and going and going...
:D

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I currently have a Motorola Droid (personal phone) and an iPhone 3g (work provided phone). I have rooted and ROM'd my Droid and I have Jailbroken my iPhone.

I use the iPhone for nothing....well work stuff of course but if there is an identical app (for work) I can get on the Droid, I use the Droid. I just don't like anything about the iPhone interface or use/experience. It feels very restrictive and confining while the Droid feels very open and encouraging to do things on it....

I've run speed test on both and ATT 3g is giving me significantly greater download speeds over Verizon 3g, and about the same upload speeds. However I'm not seeing it in using the phones. The browser on the Droid obliterates the browser on the iPhone in rendering web pages and overall web use.

I've been following the Android OS on iPhone 3g sites as I'm looking to make my iPhone hardware more useful :) LOL

I LOVE the physical keyboard on the Droid. Hated it tremendously the first week of using it but now I can fly on it and will always slide it out when writing an email. A quick txt message or something and the on-screen virtual keyboard is fine.

(example).
Citrix Receiver app - (both iPhone and Droid). I use this for work and sometimes have to remote in to a server via RDP. I can use the Citrix Receiver client to access our work network, RDP is a published app and I can hit our servers. On the iPhone I have to give up a large amount of screen display for the onscreen keyboard. On my Droid I just slide out the physical keyboard and have the full screen for my display.

chtorr281

Reaction score
I'm currently a Droid user. I had an iPhone 3GS but returned it for a refund due to poor coverage in my area. I wanted the iPhone after loving my iPod Touch so much, but putting up with the coverage just wasn't worth it for me. I didn't like the Droid so much at first compared to the iPod Touch but now I think it's superior in a lot of ways. I prefer the Droid's browser in some ways, the higher resolution screen is way easier on the eyes and being able to customize with folders and widgets and whatever is really nice.

The big area the iPhone/iTouch still wins in though is the quality and quantity of games and the music player. The Droid is improving in this area and is likely just as capable if not more so as far as hardware goes. But I can't get over how many great games are available for the iPhone, and I find myself playing games on my iPod Touch more than my PSP or DS. If a higher resolution, more customizable iPhone became available on Verizon, I would probably switch phones, but until then I think a Verizon Droid is a better choice than an AT&T iPhone.