dumb noob question

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by Ricardo_r21, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Ricardo_r21

Ricardo_r21 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So ive read most threads and sticky threads but i guess am dumb, so jheres my question. I downloaded ROM manager, my phone is rooted with froyo, and i was wondering, to flash to a new rom, do i simply download it and install from rom manager? Truth is am scared so i first want confirmation.. like i said ive read threads but ya'll talk like if we are all fluent with the droid os and apps.

2. harrellj

harrellj Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, download and install. Do a backup first (and maybe do one with titanium backup as well for easy access to apks). Also, do wipe cache and data with the install. Research which rom first too, to make sure it works with your phone.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

3. Ricardo_r21

Ricardo_r21 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok heres what i mean with you guys. Using hieroglyphics for noobs lol... u say do a backup, i have titanium backup but do i have to do a manual backup for all of the apps individually?? I dont see a backup all or anything similar on there. As far as apk, i'm assuming thats the equivalent of a .cab file on wm right?? I guess i get lost with the terminology here, theres not android for dummys on here lol, the most basic threads are whats is rooting, but from there, you guys got into apk, sbf and all these acronyms abbreviations without explaining

4. warrior21

warrior21 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you are using ROM manager you will see 'backup current ROM' on the main page. In case anything goes wrong or you don't like the next ROM you try, you can go back to the one you are on now. If you want to back up your apps to make them easier to put back on then you can use an app like astro or titanium backup.

5. roguephoenix

roguephoenix New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i'm like the thread starter, rooted and on 2.2. i downloaded the sapphire 1.0 and using rom manager. so i get to the part where it says do the backup and wipe data. i click ok and it restarts, but when it does it just shows the exclamation point in the triangle with the dead phone next to it. doesn't seem to install it. i just basically restart the phone and tried again and did the same thing. from the instructions, it seems like i'm doing what i'm supposed to but what am i missing? >_<

6. raiders42878

raiders42878 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Did you flash clockworkmod recovery first? it's at the top when you open rom manager it should say
    current recovery:Clockwork Mod 2.5.0.1
    latest recovery:Clockwork Mod 2.5.0.1
    if not just click on it and it will flash it.

7. capt. dan

capt. dan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have found that I have to flash the recovery every time I open Rom Manager. I also have not been able to load a new rom. Every one I try just ends up looping in the boot up screen. Am I just not patient and need to let it go?

8. crspang

crspang Member

Ratings:
    +0