Dumb Google Voice question if I want to use my existing number

medicTHREE

Reaction score
Think of it this way. If you sign up for using your own number you get x features. If you sign up for a new number, you get x features plus more.

You do not loose anything when using a new number. I used a new number and primarily use it for visual voicemail. You dont need to call into voicemail, as the gv app downloads the messages to your phone where you play them from the app and view the transcription there too.

The other parties will never know they are going through google voice, despite your phone actually forwarding them to it.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
Backnblack,

When you signed up, did you opt for the new GV number, but have figured out how to get what you want without using it, or did you choose the option for keeping your existing number?

I did not opt for a GV number....I kept my existing...I've had it for close to 10 years..

What i think you are missing is that you dont have to use that number for anything. But it is there in case and you lose features by not doing so. Just because you opted to set up the new number, doesnt mean you have to tell a soul. I use it as my vvm and haven't told a soul this number.