Dumb Google Voice question if I want to use my existing number

Leckert123

Reaction score
I'm sure it's been posted multiple times, but I've searched and didn't notice this particular question. So, my apologies in advance if it's already been answered.

I am not interested in having people call a new phone number. There are over 1,000 professional and personal contacts around the world going back 10 years who have my number, so I'm going to keep it. My primary GV interest (at the moment) is to improve my Visual VoiceMail experience over the Verizon solution.

• If I sign up for the option to get a new Google number do I actually have to use that new Google number to enjoy the visual voicemail feature?
    • Like everyone else, I'd love to keep my options open for the future, but I want people who call my Verizon number to reach me.
    • When I call others from my phone, I want their caller ID to show my existing Verizon number, not the Google number.
  • If I cannot do what I've asked above, and must use the new GV number to use the voicemail features, what happens when people call my Verizon number? Does it get forwarded to my phone or...?

Net Net: if I go for the New Google Number option, can the features be "dumbed down" to make it act like I selected the 2nd option (to use my existing number)?

DroidFan

Reaction score
I think I understand what you're asking, so let me see if I can answer. You want to keep your existing cell #, but have your GV # in addition, correct? If that's the case, that's how I have mine set up, so let me address your questions:

The Visual VM for GV is only attached to the GV number. So, when someone calls my GV #, I have it forwarded it to my cell # (it's my business line and my cell # is my personal #) and if someone leaves a VM, I can see it visually. However, this is not true of my cell# VM's. There are apps you can download through the Market that will allow you do use Visual VM for free and bypass VZW's option; however, you won't be able to do this with the GV VM if you're keeping the numbers separate.

I cannot answer #2 for you as I don't have it set up this way, but I'm sure someone else will...

OP
L

Leckert123

Reaction score
Thanks for the help.

Actually, I don't actually want to use the GV number at all. Really, the only reason I would sign up for that option would be to keep my options open for the future.

Xris

Reaction score
Short answer, it works how you want it.

They call your normal cell phone number and, if they go to VM, they go to your google voicemail, not VZ Voicemail.

Takes a bit of setup, not much, but that's how it works.

zegolf

Reaction score
Actually, you CAN use the Google Voice Voicemail option with your existing # and the google voice app. You have to forward your calls (*71 + You Google Voice Number) and make a few changes in your google voice settings.

From http://voice.google.com go to the "Settings" tab. Under "Phones" you'll have to add your mobile phone, then have it set to forward your google voice calls to that phone.

I know my instructions were a bit confusing, so this video might help a bit better.

OP
L

Leckert123

Reaction score
Xris, zegolf,

I know that if I sign up with GV using the option for my existing number, that it will certainly do what I want.

However, if I sign up with GV providing me their new phone number, can I still do what I want?

This matters because once you have selected option 1 or option 2, you cannot change your choice. I'm trying to not screw up.

zegolf

Reaction score
You sure can! Get the google number, because you may need it one day. Also, this will allow you to make cheap international calls should you ever need to do so and NOT use your cell number. You can still use GV Voicemail with your pre-existing number, just follow the instructions on that video. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
You sure can! Get the google number, because you may need it one day. Also, this will allow you to make cheap international calls should you ever need to do so and NOT use your cell number. You can still use GV Voicemail with your pre-existing number, just follow the instructions on that video. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

I opted for using my own number....Can't see the need of another number.

OP
L

Leckert123

Reaction score
zegolf, I'm not certain that you are correct. The links you provided point to Google's announcement and explain it as follows:

Up until now, if you wanted to use Google Voice, you needed to choose a new number (a "Google number"). Taking calls through your Google number allows us to offer features like call recording, call screening and getting text messages via email. But we know not everyone wants to switch to a new phone number, so it made sense for us to create a lighter version of Google Voice for people who are willing to trade some features for the ability to use their existing numbers.

We're excited to announce that you now have the choice to get Google Voice with your existing mobile number OR with a Google number.

If you sign up using your existing number, you'll still get many of Google Voice's features. Most notably, you'll get all the functionality of Google voicemail

Has anyone out there personally signed up for the GV number but strictly used their existing number instead? I'm not sure it's possible, from how Google describes it. Sounds like that's why they came up with the Lite version in the first place.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Has anyone out there personally signed up for the GV number but strictly used their existing number instead?

Yes...Works for me....

Not interested in the extras that a google number provides....

OP
L

Leckert123

Reaction score
Backnblack,

When you signed up, did you opt for the new GV number, but have figured out how to get what you want without using it, or did you choose the option for keeping your existing number?

zegolf

Reaction score
zegolf, I'm not certain that you are correct. The links you provided point to Google's announcement and explain it as follows:

Up until now, if you wanted to use Google Voice, you needed to choose a new number (a "Google number"). Taking calls through your Google number allows us to offer features like call recording, call screening and getting text messages via email. But we know not everyone wants to switch to a new phone number, so it made sense for us to create a lighter version of Google Voice for people who are willing to trade some features for the ability to use their existing numbers.

We're excited to announce that you now have the choice to get Google Voice with your existing mobile number OR with a Google number.

If you sign up using your existing number, you'll still get many of Google Voice's features. Most notably, you'll get all the functionality of Google voicemail

Has anyone out there personally signed up for the GV number but strictly used their existing number instead? I'm not sure it's possible, from how Google describes it. Sounds like that's why they came up with the Lite version in the first place.

I'm also using it that specific way. Works like a champ. I signed up for GV before they had the option to use voicemail with your own number. When they opened that function up, I switched back to my own number with the voicemail. If that website didn't explain it well, just google "Using Google Voice Voicemail with existing number". It's out there somewhere.

OP
L

Leckert123

Reaction score
Cool. So you essentially have "reserved" a Google number but aren't using it, and are using just the basic features of GV (voicemail) with your existing number? If this is true, then there truly is no reason to avoid signing up for the GV number option.

Sounds like what I want to do. Since I can't see all of the options until after signing up, it's hard to know that it's available. Frankly, Google Voice's site doesn't explain this and I could not find it in the Google Voice blogs.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Backnblack,

When you signed up, did you opt for the new GV number, but have figured out how to get what you want without using it, or did you choose the option for keeping your existing number?

I did not opt for a GV number....I kept my existing...I've had it for close to 10 years..

OP
L

Leckert123

Reaction score
I've just elected to keep my existing number and set it all up. Seems to work fine for what I need.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience.