Due to rumours of Gingerbread, does it make sense to buy the original droid now?

vex321

Reaction score
Hi guys

My contract is finally over and I just ordered two original droid.
However I just read a news article about android 3.0os and I am quite disappointed that original droids will not be able to use the new os due in 3 month.
Once the new OS comes out, will support for 2.1 and 2.2 stop right there?

I would hate to be stuck for 2 years on something that is no longer supported...

please help me make a decision while I still have the 30 day window open for return..

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
the minimum specs for 3.0 (which I assume youre referring to) are only recommended not required so you should be fine

Darkseider

Reaction score
Gingerbread may not be officially released for the Droid but you can be rest assured once the Google AOSP is updated to Gingerbread source if you rooted your Droid you will be running Gingerbread. The devs in the Droid community will have it up and running on a Droid in no time flat.

virtaclesmile

Reaction score
Hard to say really...as long as it takes for the OTA updates to happen and the fact that froyo isn't officially released for the moto droid yet... my opinion, and it is simply that, you should be fine. I have been a happy moto droid owner for about 3 months now, coming from a 3gs, and I couldn't be happier. I got them free online. Anyway, my advise would be to go ahead and keep them...don't forget why you pulled the trigger and ordered them to begin with. It is an awesome phone. rooted or not.

good luck with your decision..hope this helps

OP
vex321

vex321

Reaction score
you guys are awesome!!!

I am going to keep the two droids which should be arriving today..
Thx again and helping me make the decision! dancedroid

(coming from samsung I760 which uses windows mobile, I am excited and expecting that this will be one heck of an upgrade lol )

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I would go with the X, myself, assuming you don't care about the physical keyboard.

The paltry ram on the Droid will only become more of a hassle to you over time. And if you don't plan to root, then I would definitely go with the X.

Many people (on this board = not normal users) would say take the Droid because you can root. I think it's overrated, but depends on how much time you want to invest customizing your phone.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Makes even more sense now that they are locking down these phones. You now own a collectors item and it will get gingerbread courtesy of the dev community.

Enjoy the Droid

Sent from my Droid

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
no with a 2 yr contract, i would wait and snag one off ebay.

Josefius

Reaction score
If it's taking 2.2 this long to deploy, what makes you think a 3.0 version will come out in 3 months? Some phones wont even get 2.2 in that time.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
personally, i would go for the X. but, if you're intent on the original Droid (either because of the qwerty or size or whatever) i would wait for Droid 2, coming next month. it has a 1 ghz processor, and a much better keyboard. also, because it is going to be newer, i would imagine that chances are much greater it would be more compatible with the rumored gingerbread...

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
check out this other thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/55827-android-3-0-gingerbread-details-emerge.html

supposedly, the minimum requirements for gingerbread are 1 ghz processor. so, the original droid might not be compatible... food for thought.

then again, others are reporting that these aren't "minimum" requirements, but just "recommended" and that 3.0 will work on lower end devices. http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/...platforms-will-run-lower-end-devices-too.html

but if they're "recommended", that tells me that while you might still be able to run 3.0 on a droid 1, it might not work as well...

Last edited: