Dude

deputc26

Reaction score
Registered mid Nov. when this forum was 20x smaller, came back as a way to pimp enabling the FM transceiver in the droid. Discovered that in my absence DROIDForums has morphed into the largest most vibrant droid forum in the known universe. Congrats to whoever operates this shindig. I have frostbite on my right foot and can't walk so I've been learning how to use ADB, busybox and the SDK 'til I can work again, so if you have any questions let me know.

Currently in a bad mood because the sticky in general discussions states that a data plan is required, I've been running without one for 3 months.

Edit: For the record I know a lot about batteries and have been tracking the industry quite closely for 7 years now, specifically the difference between cell chemistries and more specifically the differences between the many li-ion chemistries and so-called "Li-poly" also the different things that effect cycle life and more importantly the optimization of cumulative useful energy. Also I know a lot about semiconductor fabrication and the subtle (and not so subtle) differences between different producers of the same process node (TSMc vs. Samsung vs. Chartered Semi). I don't believe anything else I'm familiar with would be at all applicable to this forum, I'm a complete app store noob and look forward to checking out the preferred apps here.

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Currently in a bad mood because the sticky in general discussions states that a data plan is required, I've been running without one for 3 months.

Welcome back.... Did you buy the phone outright and are not using a plan??

OP
deputc26

deputc26

Reaction score
I bought the phone outright and am running it pre-paid with a company that rents Verizon's network, I'm little paranoid that Big Red will ban cool phones from that company however so I don't really like talking about it.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
welcome back :D in your edit all that talk about batteries makes my head spin (well even readin the phone book does that to me but anyways..) so what's YOUR opinion on the initial charging? alot of ppl say that this battery doesn't need the old fashioned "break in charge" is this true Mr. Battery Man? lol

OP
deputc26

deputc26

Reaction score
welcome back :D in your edit all that talk about batteries makes my head spin (well even readin the phone book does that to me but anyways..) so what's YOUR opinion on the initial charging? alot of ppl say that this battery doesn't need the old fashioned "break in charge" is this true Mr. Battery Man? lol

Haha! good question, like pretty much all other handheld gizmos the droid has a Li-ion cobalt oxide cell, these have awesome energy density and relatively crappy cycle life and pretty much always ship with coatings on the cathode and/or anode and possibly temporary elements in the electrolyte as well (though I'm less sure of the latter). Exactly what these are is never (to my knowedge) published but their purpose is to prevent cell degradation between time of manufacture and time of initial use. The prescribed "break-in" charge is to remove these coatings and "set" the electrode and electrolyte compositions to a fully operational state. The "break-in" isn't necessary as it will occur with normal use though it likely speeds the process and prevents people from posting "CRAPPY BAT LIFE" type slander against the droid during the phones first few days of use.

That said modern Li-ion CoO2 cells are very sophisticated and I am not privy to the exact chemistry and design of this exact battery, it's possible (but extremely unlikely) that some design quirk I'm of unaware makes this break in necessary. (end of disclaimer :))

For the record I personally did *not* follow Moto's directions and do the whole 24hr charge thing and I'm happily running my droid after 3 mos. with no hint of ill effects:icon_ banana:

So the answer is yes and no ;)

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Welcome back deputc26...you're right it's crazy how this place exploded. I can't believe it myself.

This is some good info you just provided. Thank you : )

Since you are off your feet you should write something up on batteries and battery life in the general discussion area. It's obvious you have some EXTENSIVE knowledge don't let it go to waste : )

I'm betting it would draw a lot of interest.

Anyway welcome back. Look forward to seeing you around.

OP
deputc26

deputc26

Reaction score
Welcome back deputc26...you're right it's crazy how this place exploded. I can't believe it myself.

This is some good info you just provided. Thank you : )

Since you are off your feet you should write something up on batteries and battery life in the general discussion area. It's obvious you have some EXTENSIVE knowledge don't let it go to waste : )

I'm betting it would draw a lot of interest.

Anyway welcome back. Look forward to seeing you around.

I actually checked out the battery sticky to see if I could add anything but Hazydave had it under control.:)