Dual cores?

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have been wondering this for sometime since i found out that gingerbread doesnt support dual cores. Why did moto put dual cores on the phone knowing that it wasnt supported. Did they know in advanced that ICS was coming out when they built it an had preplanned this update. Or was it just pure luck ICS was announced supporting dual cores?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
Gingerbread does support dual cores... problem is.. it doesn't utilize them to their fullest potential and really split the load evenly... right now the second core on the bionic just handles user input... like scrolling and other touch screen input... also if you have the lapdock it handles a lot of the input from there also... like the keyboard and trackpad or even a USB mouse...

Download systempanel from the market and you can see both of your cores working... and how little the second core fires up... unless you have the lapdock where you will see it is used quite a bit more...

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
Gingerbread does support dual cores... problem is.. it doesn't utilize them to their fullest potential and really split the load evenly... right now the second core on the bionic just handles user input... like scrolling and other touch screen input... also if you have the lapdock it handles a lot of the input from there also... like the keyboard and trackpad or even a USB mouse...

Download systempanel from the market and you can see both of your cores working... and how little the second core fires up... unless you have the lapdock where you will see it is used quite a bit more...

Ok now see i just used the systempanel so why doesnt gingerbread utilize them to there fullest potential and does ICS fix the problem that gingerbread does with the dual cores?

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
It's all in the timing... gingerbread was coded long before dual core release dates were figured out... I have a feeling that was one major reason for the bionic release delay last year... they probly tried to go nuts on the dual core optimization and opened a can of worms that actually made the phone worse... they settled with the split on user input to get the phone in the stores and started making promises of ICS and unlocked bootloaders to cover the obvious... it's like having 500 horsepower but only two gears...

I'm betting us bionic owners are screwed... we won't see unlock... and the will totally destroy our motoblur version of ICS
My new plan... save up and follow the companies that are loyal to their customers... I've been with moto for 15 years and I'm pissed that I ended up being misled like this...

Get ready for more disappointment cuz the odds are lookin really crappy

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2

So, if the bionic is in this state of load on one side of the core... a phone like the DX2 would probably be in the same situation I take it.... or is this a situation more prevalent to the bionic? Trying to understand cause I have the bionic, my wife runs the x2 and my son has the x...

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's all in the timing... gingerbread was coded long before dual core release dates were figured out... I have a feeling that was one major reason for the bionic release delay last year... they probly tried to go nuts on the dual core optimization and opened a can of worms that actually made the phone worse... they settled with the split on user input to get the phone in the stores and started making promises of ICS and unlocked bootloaders to cover the obvious... it's like having 500 horsepower but only two gears...

I'm betting us bionic owners are screwed... we won't see unlock... and the will totally destroy our motoblur version of ICS
My new plan... save up and follow the companies that are loyal to their customers... I've been with moto for 15 years and I'm pissed that I ended up being misled like this...

Even with the google take over? I would assume that with google in charge things would get better or am i wishing for the impossible?

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
I bet it's worse on dx2 but I'm not positive about that... try that systempanel application and see if you can get your second core to fire by scrolling up and down quite a few times with the graph visible... or even if it shows the second core... I saw a thread where we were both on the same app screen and the girl swears up and down it don't show dual on dx2

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
Oh and the Google moto deal?? They have till Feb 13the to actually decide on that... if Europe looks at that deal as bad for competition it will be squashed... if it actually goes thru .. then were talking about a huge money deal where Google wants to get it's hands on Motorola's 17,000 patents to protect itself from all these rampant lawsuits... don't look for Google to come in and fix a bunch of mistakes made by moto last year... maybe moto will have the better shot at the next nexus... whenever that is

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh and the Google moto deal?? They have till Feb 13the to actually decide on that... if Europe looks at that deal as bad for competition it will be squashed... if it actually goes thru .. then were talking about a huge money deal where Google wants to get it's hands on Motorola's 17,000 patents to protect itself from all these rampant lawsuits... don't look for Google to come in and fix a bunch of mistakes made by moto last year... maybe moto will have the better shot at the next nexus... whenever that is

What rampant lawsuits?

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
Microsoft gets $5 for every HTC device sold
Apple is lookin to get $10 for EVERY ANDROID DEVICE sold

They can't beat android with IOS... so they're gonna try to get everything they can in court

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
Microsoft gets $5 for every HTC device sold
Apple is lookin to get $10 for EVERY ANDROID DEVICE sold

They can't beat android with IOS... so they're gonna try to get everything they can in court

Ok maybe i am not understanding something but what makes apple think they can get 10 bucks for every android device if its not even there os?

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

The Bionic "delay" has absolutely nothing to do with Gingerbread and its dual-core optimizations, or lack thereof. The original Bionic was a completely different phone, which was never released. The Bionic we see today is a device that was originally known as the "Motorola Targa"

As for dual-core optimized OSes, they mean little if the apps themselves aren't optimized. A single core has no problems running the OS, it's the apps that are power hungry. Things such as the additional graphics effects in games such as Riptide GP for dual-core and above processors show what dual-core optimized apps can do, even on OS that isn't fully multicore enabled. As long as the kernel is, it's all good. And a Linux kernel is multi CPU aware.