Drowned my Turbo

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Do we really want to go full on OT here? We can, I suppose. My drama is over.

Re: Locks.
I'm old school. Funny how this is old school, eh?

shopping

I wouldn't want any other way. I really like this solution. Why? Because I don't need anything else. No fob, no phone, no nothing. Just a finger. Now, of course they've released a kind like this that ALSO supports bluetooth. I paid $150 each for 2 of these. I won't be upgrading just so I can ALSO use my phone in addition to punching in a code.

I have several Hue lights. In addition to the app on my phone, we have 2 of these:

5e363797-ea70-4494-98a6-60662aea61e7_400.jpg

They work great, and you can move them around the house. As fun as it might be to say "Alexa, turn on the lights..." I'm good with my current system. Not to mention in Winter I set up GoeFencing so my lights come on and go off as I get near / leave my home. No speaking needed. lol

The last thing I want is a Thermo and I've got my heart set on the Honeywell. Yea, I love ya' Google but not even a little interested in your Nest. I don't need my stuff to "learn".... just do what I tell you.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I have the ecobee3 for the control with echo/on line and for the multiple control zones, dumped the 250+ Honeywell for it...
I thought the Echo might become a paperweight as well, thus the reason I got the Echo Dot instead of the Echo, half the price and actually more options, and got the wife to look at it and she fell in love, so it's a win win, as I slowly transfer the dumb to smart parts of my home.
I love the smart home concept an have built several high end homes and businesses that are 100% integrated, which is easy to do new, harder to do as a remodel but not even as easy as the Bluetooth / Wi-Fi. I see more Dots in my future, plus they are sweet connected to the Home Entertainment system too...
Just my .02
;)

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
@PereDroid What kind of lock is that? I need one! I always lock myself out.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
1st Gen:
Schlage BE365VCAM619 Camelot Keypad Deadbolt, Satin Nickel - Door Dead Bolts - Amazon.com

2nd Gen:
Schlage Connect Camelot Touchscreen Deadbolt with Built-In Alarm, Satin Nickel, BE469 CAM 619 - Door Dead Bolts - Amazon.com

Easily the best tech upgrade I've ever done. I put one 1st gen on each door (=2). It's just so.... feeeing?!? Not having to worry about keys.
  • Get in the car, start it up...bah...forgot something...leave it running and go back in
  • Go on vacation....no keys to worry about (and don't care if my phone has a charge, because I don't need it to get in)
  • I have a PIN, wife has different pin, in-laws have pins
  • January, snowed in at friends house far away, called my neighbor "Can you let my dog out? Here's the PIN". Change it when I got home
I could go on and on and on...... I simply don't need Smart or Connected.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
$200 for a lock? Eh I'll go make a few copies and bury them in the yard.

I noticed they can't be put on outside doors and aren't weather resistant. I have a storm door but it's on the wrong way(land lord didn't know) so wind blows snow in it.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Mine are both on outside doors. They've been "in weather" for 2 years now. Work good as they did on day 1. I can't imagine the weather that would get the electronics wet on my 1st gen ones.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
@PereDroid What kind of lock is that? I need one! I always lock myself out.
I didn't carry house keys for years as I always used the Garage door opener/keypad, then the power went out and I was, well, screwed... 8 foot fences / walls etc... So I bought a new lock from Home Depot that day... Was several years ago, before the special ones we have today ^

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
These are battery powered. The lock let's you know well in advance when the batteries need changed.

My story: We got home from Mexico one February Eve at 10PM and found we had lost our house key. Had to call a friend and wait 45 minutes in the garage in 35 degree temps. I bought these shortly thereafter.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Mine are both on outside doors. They've been "in weather" for 2 years now. Work good as they did on day 1. I can't imagine the weather that would get the electronics wet on my 1st gen ones.
That's good to know. I may get the $99 one.

I didn't carry house keys for years as I always used the Garage door opener/keypad, then the power went out and I was, well, screwed... 8 foot fences / walls etc... So I bought a new lock from Home Depot that day... Was several years ago, before the special ones we have today ^
I'm a minimalist when I run. I have my cell phone for tracking and my keys. Well I took off what I thought was my garage key, because I don't need to carry that when I'm running, when in fact I took off my house key. So I could get into my garage and nothing else.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
That's good to know. I may get the $99 one.

I'm a minimalist when I run. I have my cell phone for tracking and my keys. Well I took off what I thought was my garage key, because I don't need to carry that when I'm running, when in fact I took off my house key. So I could get into my garage and nothing else.
We like to walk the river walk, no keys etc, so that's why we have the exterior keypad for the GDO, and may have hidden keys for the house in the garage, but on the one time a year or so that the power goes out...

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
These are battery powered. The lock let's you know well in advance when the batteries need changed.

My story: We got home from Mexico one February Eve at 10PM and found we had lost our house key. Had to call a friend and wait 45 minutes in the garage in 35 degree temps. I bought these shortly thereafter.

I'd have drilled out the lock rather than wait in the cold, hopefully you waited in the warm car for them...?

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
No keys. We just put on lots of clothes from the suitcases. It wasn't too horrible except we had only shorts on.
It's all good. At least we made a memory to laugh about today.
#ThinkPositive

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk