Dropping WIFI

heccubusiv

Reaction score
On my droid razr maxx I cannot keep my wifi connection for a distance longer than about 8 feet. I have had my phone replaced twice by Verizon, I actually bough a new router and have troubleshooted through Netgear. Is anyone else have this same issue and if so what did you do it fix it. My mac book and wireless printer both work great.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Am I reading this right, Your Third phone does not maintain signal lock ?

OP
H

heccubusiv

Reaction score
I have been having some awful luck.( Actually 4th phone not maintaining wifi connection) I am about 15 feet away from my router with zero connection on my phone but perfect connection on my laptop.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
His old is the router?

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

OP
H

heccubusiv

Reaction score
The router is about 8 days old, I had an older one about 6 years old and thought that may have been the issue. I have set the channel to 11 (from auto) and have turned to the mode up to 300. I also tried to disable the wireless security and have tried it at every type.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I am not a mathematician but I have to believe 4 phones having the same problem out of the box is astronomically improbable.

There has to be another factor in play. Four phones isn't incredibly bad luck, it's an external factor not yet addressed.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
It may also be your modem or your internet service provider. Unplug your modem for 30 seconds to reset it. From your PC, how strong is the signal? Depending on how much you use your PC, it may actually lose connection then reconnect without you being aware. I had the same problem. Actually bought a Wi-Fi bridge. Thought it was the phone, then thought it was problem with where I was located in the house. When the bridge didn't help, I contacted my ISP only to find out my modem went bad.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
H

heccubusiv

Reaction score
Thinking about the house, we have a home security system system in the house which connects through a cell phone signal and that half of the house seems to have the issues on the phone. I am going to try to move the router and modem and see if that fixes the issue and if not I will get a bridge. Thanks guys

Sox

Reaction score
@OP

You're not alone. Other people with Maxx's are having the same issue. See https://forums.motorola.com/posts/ccc0b71008?start=106&stop=120#615620 and https://forums.motorola.com/posts/2d2211eaeb?start=1&stop=15#615623

It's not your router, it's the phone. I was using wifi no problem yesterday, 6/14/12, before I updated my software version last night from .173 to .181 because my gf's Maxx could not access the wifi.

Hopefully by posting enough we'll get enough attention from Motorola and they'll fix it. Otherwise, try the workaround in the second link. It worked okay for me, but it's still much slower than the 4g LTE and the speed I was browsing yesterday on my same wifi (same everything in fact, save software vesion).

herfjonez

Reaction score
@OP

You're not alone. Other people with Maxx's are having the same issue. See https://forums.motorola.com/posts/ccc0b71008?start=106&stop=120#615620 and https://forums.motorola.com/posts/2d2211eaeb?start=1&stop=15#615623

It's not your router, it's the phone. I was using wifi no problem yesterday, 6/14/12, before I updated my software version last night from .173 to .181 because my gf's Maxx could not access the wifi.

Hopefully by posting enough we'll get enough attention from Motorola and they'll fix it. Otherwise, try the workaround in the second link. It worked okay for me, but it's still much slower than the 4g LTE and the speed I was browsing yesterday on my same wifi (same everything in fact, save software vesion).

I don't think posting is going to do anything. But, you would think getting your phone replaced 3 times (someone here is on their 8th and on another board, 7th maxx) would send them the message that it's not your phone. Typical huge company disfunction :angry:

Both my 3/4G and WiFi have turned to garbage over the past week. The phone is barely usable. Worked fine for months.

jmac25736

Reaction score
Greetings all. First post but due to my situation I needed to comment. I just received my 2 new MAXX's a few days ago and have been having very weak wifi signals with both. After viewing numerous posts on different forums and trying several fixes I have so far had no luck improving or increasing my wifi signal. So far I have tried to change channels on my router (verizon actiontec MI424WR rev.e) from auto to 1, then 6, then 11. Nothing. Then I read about the maxx having problems with AES encryption and I switched from AES to TKIP. No good. My old HTC Incredible and numerous other devices are getting awesome reception but I move 15 feet away from my router and I am losing signal. It's not the router. So I finally called verizon and sure enough a tech. rep. confirmed that there are issues with the wifi. He said it is a software issue and they are aware of it and are working on it.:blink: So now I have to decide whether or not to keep it or return it. I like the phone but this wifi problem may become a deal breaker if it is not addressed. If anyone else has this problem I would encourage them to contact verizon and complain. I think I am going to contact motorola next and see what they have to say about it. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
jmac25736 said:
Greetings all. First post but due to my situation I needed to comment. I just received my 2 new MAXX's a few days ago and have been having very weak wifi signals with both. After viewing numerous posts on different forums and trying several fixes I have so far had no luck improving or increasing my wifi signal. So far I have tried to change channels on my router (verizon actiontec MI424WR rev.e) from auto to 1, then 6, then 11. Nothing. Then I read about the maxx having problems with AES encryption and I switched from AES to TKIP. No good. My old HTC Incredible and numerous other devices are getting awesome reception but I move 15 feet away from my router and I am losing signal. It's not the router. So I finally called verizon and sure enough a tech. rep. confirmed that there are issues with the wifi. He said it is a software issue and they are aware of it and are working on it.:blink: So now I have to decide whether or not to keep it or return it. I like the phone but this wifi problem may become a deal breaker if it is not addressed. If anyone else has this problem I would encourage them to contact verizon and complain. I think I am going to contact motorola next and see what they have to say about it. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:)

Welcome to DF jmac and thanks for this info and making the call to verizon. I think calling moto is also a great idea. I really do not have the answer because my wifi is working great on my maxx but given that this problem is new to many people where they didn't have problems before leads me to believe that it is not a phone hardware problem but a software problem. I think when it gets fixed you will be happy with the phone. The reception and connection this phone had was excellent and I believe it will be that way again.

wxman2003

Reaction score
Are you holding the Maxx when the wifi drops? If you have your hand wrapped around the bottom of phone where wifi antenna is, the signal will drop off considerably. Replacing the phone or router will not help. The antenna is the problem and is poorly designed. A quick way to test it is to set phone on table inanother room and observe how many bars you have. Then pick up phone and hold the bottom half of phone in yourpalm. Watch the signal disappear.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
wxman2003 said:
Are you holding the Maxx when the wifi drops? If you have your hand wrapped around the bottom of phone where wifi antenna is, the signal will drop off considerably. Replacing the phone or router will not help. The antenna is the problem and is poorly designed. A quick way to test it is to set phone on table inanother room and observe how many bars you have. Then pick up phone and hold the bottom half of phone in yourpalm. Watch the signal disappear.

Wow, you are right. Its like an on-off switch. I lose one-two bars when I hold thunderer bottom of the phone.

Edit: It is precisely the tiny hole that is on the bottom back of the phone. And all this time I thought that was another mike.