Dropped My Droid :(

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by muenk, Dec 28, 2009.

1. muenk

muenk New Member

Was at the movies the other day watching "Sherlock Holmes".. Had my Droid in the cup holder and went to stretch... my elbow hit the phone, knocked it out of the cupholder, and sent it flying. The next 3 seconds were in slow motion to me.. It went airborn, landed very painfully on the rock hard floor and not only bounced once, but twice. :eek:

When the movie finished i hurried out of the theater into some better lighting.. The screen is now loose to the touch. When you press on the screen, on all 4 corners, it makes an audible "click" as it comes in contact with the keyboard. In addition, now when i open the phone i feel like i should use both thumbs, because the sliding action is no longer sturdy and as smooth.

I am torn, not sure whether to try and replace the phone, or just deal with it
  2. Tegamal

Tegamal New Member

If you have insurance, I'd replace it, just to be on the safe side.
  3. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

Sorry to hear it, I feel your pain.

I guess it comes down to whether or not you wnat to use an ins claim to get a refurb.

Glad the screen didnt crack, that would make it a no brainer. Apart from the sliding and the click, is everything working?

May be better to keep it until it really breaks then turn in.
  4. mth04

mth04 Premium Member Premium Member

Sounds to me like a claim is what I would do. There aren't any refurbs available yet. The replacement I got was in the refurb packaging but was new to the feel. I wouldn't want to feel like I couldn't use it as it was meant to be used
  5. myriad46

myriad46 New Member

Were you holding hands with the Droid at the movies? I love mine too, but taking it on a date is a bit much. They have a rehab show on MTV for that sort of thing.
  6. GadgetRick

GadgetRick Member

Sure, you could replace a perfectly working phone (from what you say) by paying your $80 deductible. Sorry, the insurance they offer is crap.
  7. muenk

muenk New Member

I didn't purchase the insurance for my phone, so filing a "claim" is out of the question.. I have in the past always had luck replacing a phone under the manufacturer's warranty.

The phone operates just fine. I think I may just wait to for something else to seriously go wrong with the phone before I try and replace it. I honestly do not feel like spending the time reloading all of my apps and customizing the phone all over again. Its just a bummer that I had the phone for a month, and already dropped it one good time. Wonder what its gonna look like say.. 6 months from now?? lol
  8. Tegamal

Tegamal New Member

Only thing is I can say be more careful in the future.

Thing I can't understand is why you had it in the cup holder of all places? You aren't even supposed to be using your phone in the theaters... I hate that....

;)
  9. muenk

muenk New Member

I hate having my droid in my pocket. And we all know movie theatre seats are not the most comfortable seats in the world. So it only made sense to remove the phone from my pocket to add to my comfort level sitting there lol.. Oh and im not one of them jerks that play with their phones during a movie, it was on silent and wasn't touched the entire time.

Gonna start looking into phone cases......
  10. tomlist704

tomlist704 New Member

Send me an email to tomlist704@gmail.com and I will give you some suggestions. I have replaced the storm 5 times and this Droid once without paying anything to Verizon. I won't write it in this oen forum.
  11. cuskit

cuskit New Member

I've done the same thing (cup holder) and once left the theater with my Razr left behind. Realized two hours later - returned and found an usher had left it at the ticket window. Geez, what a relief!

And no - I don't use mine either - but need it as I'm on emergency call 24/7. And it was set to vibrate, which makes a loud enough buzz either my wife or I would have known a call was coming in.

Myself - I feel more comfortable having the insurance, despite the high deductible and monthly fee. I've broken too many phones in the past... ;)

cuskit
  12. muenk

muenk New Member

Well, I just got back from the Verizon store... Told the tech guy about my audio jack problem (where you cant hear through the speaker on phone calls) and they are over-nighting me a droid. Woo Hoo! Now to get a case on this sucker or something so it doesn't happen again in the future....
  13. imiller913

imiller913 New Member

great news .... and no cup holders next time at the movies LOL
  14. L0ST3489

L0ST3489 New Member

Quick question, did you have the audio jack problem, or id you just use that as an excuse? I have some minor issues and I am looking for a reason.
  15. FireDroid

FireDroid New Member

I too put mine in the cup holder, I have kids and when the wife and I are out i want to know if there is an emergency that arises. I do put it on vibrate and I hate having it attached to my hip in the theater as it is to bulky.

Glad it is working out for you.
  16. muenk

muenk New Member

haha, yea I have to come up with a new plan of attack for the next time im at the movies...

Yes, I actually did have the audio jack problem. Its been happening more often as well. I wasn't gonna tell them I dropped the phone, so the audio jack problem seemed plausible. Not really sure of the reason, but I'm hoping the problem is solved with a new phone.
  17. muenk

muenk New Member

Thanks. See I knew I wasn't the only one out there who set their phone in the cup holder!! I'm thinking of getting a leather pouch for it with a belt clip, so I can clip it onto the cup holder or something. At least this way if it drops it has some protection!
  18. FireDroid

FireDroid New Member

I have the case/holster combo from verizon and feel well protected. It works great because when I get a call at work, I pull it off my belt and through it up on the rig and put my gear on, so it takes some good abuse but the case/holster combo protects it pretty well!!
  19. muenk

muenk New Member

The Verizon tech i was talking to today actually had one on his Droid. That was the first i've seen the case/holster combo in person. I think I may look into it more. They didn't have any in stock at that store or I would have.
  20. muenk

muenk New Member

Wow do they ship fast! Got my new Droid around 2:30 today!

Came with another SD card... kind of strange because I was just going to transfer over my old one. Looks like I now have an extra SD card - in the pamphlet that came with the phone it says to keep all cables, chargers, memory cards.....

One thing I noticed so far is that the new phones slider is MUCH smoother than my current phone ever was. Not sure if this is because it is a refurb and has had countless open/close cycles, or because I just may have gotten a better built unit?

[​IMG]