Dropped iPhone for Droid...

SimonTuffGuy

Reaction score
New to the forums... New to the Droid. I've owned an iPhone since "iDay" a few years ago. Bought a new one the day after their initial release, upgraded to the 3GS the day they came out... And finally dropped it for the Droid. I was with AT&T for years without any real phone issues... But slowly realize that their service wasn't that great. I had one small (or no) bar(s) in my office, no 3G unless I went 30 miles south or 45 miles north, etc.

A coworker talked me into the Droid. I was thinking of holding off for the Nexus One, but really like the Droid and the fact that it still has a physical keyboard.

So... I picked mine up over the weekend from BestBuy. They had the best price around that I could actually pick up and walk home with, ported over my number, and started syncing contacts via my GMail, Google Voice, etc. I love that everything Google related pretty much mates to the phone without a lot of hassle. Added my 2 other personal e-mail accounts, and "rooted" it.

I'm still a little unsure about the rooting process. The thing that I loved about the iPhone was the simplicity of jailbreaking it, and adding 3rd party apps... I guess that's where the fun of Linux comes into play. :)

At any rate... I'm glad to have found the forums. Seems like the best out there for the Droid that I've been able to come across.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood, SimonTuffGuy! You'll be glad you've chosen both the Droid and this forum - you'll not be disappointed with either one. So take a look around and make yourself at home! You'll find this to be a very friendly and helpful forum!

:welcome:

OP
SimonTuffGuy

SimonTuffGuy

Reaction score
Thanks! Slowly working my way through the features and getting everything back to a similar way that I had my iPhone. :)

solar

Reaction score
:welcome:
Yay! another Droid convert! I realy like the droid a lot and this forum is great. Good decision!

mikenilson

Reaction score
I was going to hold out for an iphone. I have been a Mac guy for 17 years (I have 4 Macs, 2 Ipods & 2 ipod shuffles). I wanted to wait for the iphone to come to Verizon, but got sick of waiting. I got the Droid about 10 days ago, and I am loving it. I have played around with an iphone before and thought is was the best, but after owning the Droid I feel that is it just as good if not better than the iphone. Welcome to the Club!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
welcome and I was on the same boat, bought the iphone during its initial release and dropped it for the droid. My complaint was apple care, but thats is water under the bridge. The droid is a great device, but coming from the iphone I can tell you that you are going to need some time to unlearn the iphone and learn the droid. I spent my first week with the droid complaining that it didnt do things the way my iphone did.
Once I got use to the droid and its capabilities I realized how good of a device it is.