Dropped in the bath and now nothing but Bootloader screen

droidloversince2010

Reaction score
I don't know what to do. I am at my wits end with this problem. I dropped my droid into my sons bath 3 days ago. Like an idiot I pulled it out and turned it on to see if it worked about 10 minutes later. The Bootloader screen came up. Bootloader 2c.7c Battery ok , ok to program, connect USB data cable. What does this mean? I let it dry out for 2 days. Then I saw a post that said there was probably gunk in there since it wasn't clear water(bubble bath) so I dipped it in rubbing alcohol to clean it. 2 days after that, It is still showing the same screen. I don't want a new phone, I want my phone, with all my irreplaceable stuff on it. Can someone please help me, my husband is on an aircraft carrier over seas and my Droid is how I stay in contact with him. It's also how I take pics and videos of our 1 year old baby to send to him. I need my phone and the info on it back. Please, if there is anyone out there that can help me at all, I would greatly appreciate it.:)
  1. What does this screen mean?
  2. What do I do to get past it?
  3. Does this mean all the data(ect) I had on my phone is gone?

zachdroid

Reaction score
Is this an original DROID? Is the phone rooted?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

zachdroid

Reaction score
The pics and stuff are saved to your sdcard so hoping that wasn't toasted they are probably still there.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pics, bids, etc are on the card which should be fine. That screen means you have to SBF. Hopefully it will boot. Just search for "SBF Droid" and that should help.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So, you dropped it in the bath, then decided it would be smart to give it another bath in alcohol? Wow.

Your phone is toast. Period.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
droidloversince2010

droidloversince2010

Reaction score
Its a original Droid, I think...

The model # is a855. No it is not rooted. I'm afraid I did not even know what that meant till I gave my phone a bath ;) and joined here for answers. I'm pretty good on the computer, but nothing like all the stuff I've read about on here. (Flashing the sbf, downloading all kinds of files and ect.) I looked up sbf, but I cant seem to find a site that tells me what to do as a newbie to all this. They all use abbreviations I don't know. I have an infant son and 3 other kids. It's hard to find time to research all this, but I need to. I miss my phone... If you guys give me any further help, please keep it simple but detailed for me. Thank you so very much again :)

P.s- to urbanbounca, I rinsed it in alcohol cuz I read in multiple places, one on this very site, that that was the way to go since there was bubble bath and shampoo in the tub. It did not hurt it any further.

zachdroid

Reaction score
Google rsd lite 5.5 and as well sbf for Motorola DROID a855. Pretty simple to use. Make sure you unzip the sbf file and move it to your desktop. Plug in your usb cable ( phone to computer) open rsd lite click the ... button, find the unzipped file and click start. While using rsd and flashing the phone with the sbf DO NOT TOUCH YOUR PHONE during the process. Fiddling with it during this process can completely kill your phone beyond repair. With that aside don't worry. Its actually quite a simple process. I've used it many times on my DROID. I will try to find links to what you need and post them for you. But the information is out there and fairly easy to find.

Zach

Rsd download link: http://mophoforum.com/the2dcour/RSDLite5.5.rar

Sbf download link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S6VFI0YJ

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I was a certified Motorola, HTC, LG, and Samsung technician for three years. From my experience, it's an absolutely terrible idea.

I've seen a few success stories about that process, that's why I link it. I don't doubt you at all, I've seen you help many members here, but can you tell me why this isn't a good idea? I'm not saying you need to explain yourself to me, I would like to know what to suggest in these cases, is all. Or if you know a better way, would you mind sharing it.

Tapped from an Unbrickable DROID

Cinoib

Reaction score
I don't know what to do. I am at my wits end with this problem. I dropped my droid into my sons bath 3 days ago. Like an idiot I pulled it out and turned it on to see if it worked about 10 minutes later. The Bootloader screen came up. Bootloader 2c.7c Battery ok , ok to program, connect USB data cable. What does this mean? I let it dry out for 2 days. Then I saw a post that said there was probably gunk in there since it wasn't clear water(bubble bath) so I dipped it in rubbing alcohol to clean it. 2 days after that, It is still showing the same screen. I don't want a new phone, I want my phone, with all my irreplaceable stuff on it. Can someone please help me, my husband is on an aircraft carrier over seas and my Droid is how I stay in contact with him. It's also how I take pics and videos of our 1 year old baby to send to him. I need my phone and the info on it back. Please, if there is anyone out there that can help me at all, I would greatly appreciate it.:)
  1. What does this screen mean?
  2. What do I do to get past it?
  3. Does this mean all the data(ect) I had on my phone is gone?

Going forward the best thing to do is shove the phone in a 5 lb bag of dry white rice 4 a day or so. The rice can sometimes suck the moisture out of the smallest confined circuits.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've seen a few success stories about that process, that's why I link it. I don't doubt you at all, I've seen you help many members here, but can you tell me why this isn't a good idea? I'm not saying you need to explain yourself to me, I would like to know what to suggest in these cases, is all. Or if you know a better way, would you mind sharing it.

Tapped from an Unbrickable DROID

In this case, I wouldn't suggest dumping it in any type of liquid at all. I would suggest rice, or even sitting it in front of a small fan for a couple days. The best case scenario would be taking it apart, and letting it dry from the inside. That not being an option, I wouldn't suggest dropping it in alcohol because of one huge issue, the LCD. The LCD on any handset is extremely susceptible to damage, especially liquid. The LCD is just too fragile to be suggesting it be dropped in liquid.

As for the OP, my original comment may have been a little harsh and I apologize. I didn't realize it was something you had read on DF.net. It's not something I would recommend, but it's apparently something that someone else has done successfully.

JRParsons

Reaction score
I've heard good things about everything rice method, but another thing that might be tried, that I have had success with twice, is to remove the battery and back cover, and if the phone is a slider, open the keyboard and place it on your cable box for a couple of days, the longer the better. The light air flow and heat drys it out nicely without cooking it.

To the OP, you may want to remove the SD card and see if you can insert it into your computer (using a micro SD card adapter) and copy all of the files onto your hard drive, this way, even if the phone is irreparable you still have the data, i.e. pictures / videos.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've heard good things about everything rice method, but another thing that might be tried, that I have had success with twice, is to remove the battery and back cover, and if the phone is a slider, open the keyboard and place it on your cable box for a couple of days, the longer the better. The light air flow and heat drys it out nicely without cooking it.

To the OP, you may want to remove the SD card and see if you can insert it into your computer (using a micro SD card adapter) and copy all of the files onto your hard drive, this way, even if the phone is irreparable you still have the data, i.e. pictures / videos.

That actually sounds like a very good method. I've never personally done it, but it would definitely help, IMO.