Dropped calls!

lowtech

Reaction score
Admittedly I live in a rather remote area - Maryland mountains - with spotty reception, but my Treo almost never dropped a call and worked flawlessly in my home. The Eris does drop calls and works rather poorly in my home, with some static and again, dropped calls.

Would an update help with that? I am hoping that one or the other of those rumored updates will, as I love this phone... but not this aspect!

ATeamTim

Reaction score
Poor reception can be caused by many things. Make sure your wifi is off when making calls. Also, a simple call to Data Support 800-922-0204 option 3 may help resolve your issue. It can be as simple as resetting some of your settings in the account. They can also pull your call records and give you a pretty good ideal why you are dropping calls. More importantly, they should be able to resolve it.

OP
lowtech

lowtech

Reaction score
Poor reception can be caused by many things. Make sure your wifi is off when making calls. Also, a simple call to Data Support 800-922-0204 option 3 may help resolve your issue. It can be as simple as resetting some of your settings in the account. They can also pull your call records and give you a pretty good ideal why you are dropping calls. More importantly, they should be able to resolve it.

I do appreciate that info. - I will call them ASAP... here's hoping...!

(Good avatar! :biggrin: )

OP
lowtech

lowtech

Reaction score
Well, I called the tech line at Verizon. I got a good, efficient tech who did an update on that end, but who also said that a lot of the signal strength has to do with the way the manufacturer has built the phone. He said that when he changed from a dumb phone to a BB Curve recently his signal strength dropped significantly in the same usage areas. That is not good news. I don't want to go back to the Treo, but I will have to decide if I can continue to use the Eris successfully. I'll give it a good test tomorrow and hope that the upgrade he did has helped enough to go on with...

scajjr

Reaction score
Probably the only complaint I have with the Eris is my signal strength seems much lower compared to my old phone (Samsung Gleam). In my house Gleam always had 4-5 bars, Eris has 1-2.

Sam

sterdroids

Reaction score
my droid is starting to drop calls like crazy now 4 today alone again my 5 year old samsung dropped one call a week :(

OP
lowtech

lowtech

Reaction score
Maryland mountains

We have Mountains here in Maryland? ;)

Have you updated your PRL?

Yup - Frederick County, near the PA line, where I am - and also to the west. The Blue Ridge mountains run right up through Maryland and into PA. I live on a little mountain that is near Camp David's mountain in the park. Beautiful country... and now very white country! about 6+ inches of snow today... merry merry!

Where are you? Balmer maybe? :)

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Maryland mountains

Yup - Frederick County, near the PA line, where I am - and also to the west. The Blue Ridge mountains run right up through Maryland and into PA. I live on a little mountain that is near Camp David's mountain in the park. Beautiful country... and now very white country! about 6+ inches of snow today... merry merry!

Balmer....That will get you shot ;)

I've been in Frederick since 71...And we got less than 3" today.

OP
lowtech

lowtech

Reaction score

Balmer....That will get you shot ;)

I've been in Frederick since 71...And we got less than 3" today.

Look north, city boy... white capped peaks! :biggrin: (I like Frederick - that's the Big City for us now... We moved up here 20 years ago - heaven!)

Still snowing... but only a little now...

ck_csra

Reaction score
Probably the only complaint I have with the Eris is my signal strength seems much lower compared to my old phone (Samsung Gleam). In my house Gleam always had 4-5 bars, Eris has 1-2.

Sam

When I had my Moto Droid, I would consistently get full bars at my home. Earlier today I switched to the Eris, and noticed that I'm sitting at 2 bars, occasionally 3. From what I've been reading on the Eris, this seems like its par for the course.

Pam

Reaction score
My first droid dropped 5 out of 6 calls within 10 seconds. I was about to throw it against the wall. I took it in and the tech tested and tried it himself and told me it was defective and gave me a new one about ten days ago. Now I still lose 2 or 3 out of every five calls. Not using speaker, tried doing the *228 update the tech told me to try...it still randomly dials numbers, hangs up in mid call or pocket dials voicemail. It's infuriating and frustrating and I'll probably return it this week. I love everything about this phone except the phone so I am completely disappointed. After 10 years with flawless coverage on Verizon with my cheap little LG phones.... Home or while traveling (to all the same places I always travel to where my old LG worked great) it is pretty useless.

davebreak

Reaction score
Eris dropout - poor reception - the straight poop

I bought an Eris three days ago to replace my ATT iPhone, which has spotty reception at best at my house, lots of dropouts etc.
I was pretty sure that the Eris would perform better because the lady across the street (narrow street, about 100 feet from me, single level home like mine) uses Verizon all day every day and has no dropout problems.
BUT - the Eris did not work nearly as well as my iPhone. Dropouts, choppy communication to the point you couldn't understand what was said, there were so many gaps. I called my neighbor to be sure we were on the same track. She uses Verizon. So it must be the phone.
Next day I had a different brand new replacement Eris. Same problem. So today I visited this lady. I stood right next to her in her house and called her phone (which is a Blackberry). She had two bars. I had none and the 3G area on my Eris screen said 1X which means no 3G. I called her cell and she walked into another room so we could talk on the phone. I could not count from one to five without it skipping a word. I confirmed her phone works well on Verizon. She says "every day all day" She works out of her home.
So- I have done the experiements. The various forums are correct - the Eris has a problem with reception. It seems to work well where the signal is strong but if it is down to two bars or less on other Verizon phones you will probably not be able to use your Eris there.
I should probably add that I am an Electrical Engineer and understand a valid experiment. Write me at [email protected] if you have questions.
Also, you Eris users - there are other negatives compared to the iPhone that you may not be aware of. The first is that you have to pay Verizon for "visual voicemail" if you want to see a list of voicemails and their status. I am shocked that Verizon does this, as it is part of the basic iPhone offering and I never thought of any other way to do voicemail. The second difference is that you can't access Yahoo email accounts unless you pay Yahoo for their premium service, which supports IMAP. Once again, the iPhone does this flawlessly and seamlessly and it is built in. I have both google and yahoo emails and all show up on one simple screen on the Iphone.
Dave

OP
lowtech

lowtech

Reaction score
Not good news Dave... but as I thought, although I didn't run an experiment... only compared my experience with the Eris to my experience in the same house/area with my Treo. I am hoping someone who has installed the 2.1 update will report about (I hope!) improvement in reception now...