Dropped calls and poor Customer Service

jwrightmc

Reaction score
I have had my Droid for about a month now. Since buying it, I have had so many dropped calls, people not being to hear me, etc. that I took it back to the store I bought it from last Tuesday. I have had Verizon for years and have never had one single dropped call prior to this! I read this forum before heading out to the store, and tried the *228 thing... well, my reception so is poor in my house now that even that could not be completed!! I also could not answer calls with my touch screen... I would place my finger on that little wheely-thingy and move it to the right.. the wheel would rotate over and then rotate right back WITHOUT answering my call!!! This happened numerous times also. Along with that my screen would stay blank at the end of calls and no matter what I did, I could not get it back...I would have to turn it off and back on.. and even that would not work sometimes!! So frustrating!!! This is my first Smartphone and so far, yeah, not too impressed. I need a PHONE first... all the other things are just extras for me.

So, I headed out to the Verizon store, expecting a replacement or perhaps a switch to another brand of phone. I tell the young girl that waited on me everything that's wrong and she says "I'm going to take it in back and see what I can do, but we've never had any complaints like this with this phone" Really?? Humm.. now I think she's already lying to me! So, she goes in back and probably had a soda or something and came back out 10 minutes later and said "Well, I checked everything and I can't find anything wrong with it." and proceeds to give me a big smile! :)) So, I say "Well, this is a work phone and I can't do my work with so many dropped calls!" and gave her a big smile right back! :)) So, then she decides to get the manager. The manager is told all my complaints and takes the phone in back.. is gone over 10 minutes, comes back out, smiles and says "We can't duplicate any of the problems you are describing." Now I am starting to get mad. So, I say "Of course not.. it's because I am here! I can't have a phone that has so many dropped calls. I have had Verizon for years, so it's not you, the carrier. It's THIS PHONE! At home I have between zero to one bar at the most all the time" And she smiles and says "But you have all 4 bars now." :)) and I scream "OF COURSE I DO!!! I'M STANDING INSIDE A VERIZON STORE!!!" She then says, "we are experiencing no problems with your phone. I suggest you go home and if it recurs, call technical service and they can check the towers you are using to see if that is the problem." Well,by now I was FUMING!!! I said, "NO!!! This is NOT acceptable to me!!! This phone does not work properly and if you won't address the problems, I don't want it. Give me another brand of phone." Then she says "Well, it wouldn't matter which phone we gave you. They might not work either if it is a tower problem. I suggest you go home and call technical services while you are having the problem. They will be able to help you." And I say, "NO! I have just spent close to an hour here and now you want me to go home, where my phone will immediately have ZERO BARS, and then spend half an hour on hold waiting for technical services?? This is not acceptable to me!" And she says, "there is nothing further we can do for you here." In the end.. I stormed out with the defective phone and by the time I got home?? Yup.. NO BARS!!!! So, I took my husband's old LG phone which works great in our house.... and sat on customer service hold for 15 minutes before I got a nice, young guy to help me!! I tell him EVERYTHING - the phone problems, the service problems at the store, etc. He looks up my call history and sees that...humm... I actually DO have a lot of dropped calls!! Go figure!! :)) He spent over half an hour deciding what to do... and decides we have to further 'log my dropped calls' before he can issue a new phone. I don't like this, but he says it's only for a couple days... so, I reluctantly agree.. then I say, "Can we now talk about the OTHER issues I have with my phone that aren't related to tower issues??" So, I tell him all the other things it doesn't do that it should and he says, "well, normally if someone is complaining about THIS many issues, we would just replace the unit." ahhh... finally!!! Music to my ears!!! :)) So, this nice guy gets the 'okie dokie' to replace my phone!!! YIPPEEE!!!!

The new one arrived the next day... just the shell.. I transferred all my contacts with no problems, and started to use it. All the screen issues are resolved, but unfortunately, I still cannot use it as a phone in my house!! I have no reception, people cannot hear me, etc. I have to stand either outside or next to the door when my office calls in order to have a conversation. I contacted the same technical guy last night and he offered me 2 solutions - a) we try a 3rd Droid and if it still does not work, then I get a different type of phone or b) he sends me some kind of signal strengthener for the inside of my house. Does anyone have any experience with these and do they work?? He is sending out the 3rd unit today, so I should have it tomorrow. But neither he nor I are hopeful that I will have adequate reception in my home to use this phone. I REALLY wanted to like this phone, but unfortunately, it has to be a PHONE first... and that function it can not do...

The guy at technical services has been a godsend and is really trying to resolve my problems... I just wish that the employees in the store had been half as helpful!

Any of you have suggestions for me?? If I have to get another phone, any recommendations??

Thanks in advance for any advice!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
seems like it's just your location. I've never dropped a call, and all my calls have been crystal clear. I also regularly get full signal in my area.

I have a friend who lives in the mountain area that gets no reception so he ended up getting a signal strengthener. It really does help and seems to be worth the money if you're in that kind of position.

NickWgnr

Reaction score
Sounds like you had a bad DROID and replacing it was all that was needed. I too live in an area where I can only get calls in certain places of my house. Its just how cell reception is, its crazy to think that the phone is the reason you aren't getting calls however. Also, it sounds like the people at the Verizon store really just didn't know what else to do so they referred you to tech support. Sometimes the stores don't hold all the answers, such in this case, so bite the bullet and just listen to them. If you take their advice and it still doesn't work then go in there and raise some ruckus.
The signal booster aka a repeater will work wonders for you im sure. Basically its an antenna on the outside of your house that picks up the signal and runs it inside the house and will emit the same outside signal on the inside. There are limitations to these smaller units however. Most of them only cover a certain area of the house or a floor. My buddy has one of these running into his basement and we both get better reception downstairs in the basement with no windows than we do upstairs, haha... I hope that this helps

Wagner :motdroidvert:

OP
J

jwrightmc

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I really want to love this phone. I waited years to get a Smartphone due to monetary contraints, so I guess I was expecting the world. My sister has an iPhone and LOVES it. But I read about the country-wide problem with dropped calls on At&T, so I 'thought' I was being oh-so-smart by sticking to Verizon. I did some more reading on this site this afternoon about changing the 'vocode' in the 'secret menu' from EVRC to EVRC-B or back to the more primitive 13k. I don't understand what this stuff is or what it means, but I read that one guy had the same problem I did with dropped calls, switched to 13K and the problem seemed to have resolved. So, with nothing to lose, I did the same. And I must say, I was able to answer AND talk to two friends this evening without a dropped call or reception problems!! Just a coincidence?? Who knows!! But I will keep these settings till the 3rd phone arrives and go from there.

Thanks for your input on the signal strengthener. I'm leaning more towards that option instead of giving up on this phone... but I travel a lot and am scared of dropped calls while I am on the road... just don't know what to do yet.... I read a million reviews on the Verizonwireless site and very few people complain about dropped calls, so maybe? it's a small, localize problem to where I live....

I have decisions to make... but will wait for phone #3 and maybe a miracle will occur and my problems will cease!! Thanks again!

pennyb617

Reaction score
I'm going through the same thing right now. They never even looked at my phone in the store and sent me home with the tech phone number. My calls become choppy in the exact same spots when I drive to and from work. The calls don't always drop but I miss half the conversation. My house in the country has a poor signal and my office in the city with hundreds of towers is bad too. So I had to dial ***send everytime my calls broke up or dropped, all the way to work and back. Now I'm waiting for them to get back to me on weather it's the towers or the area or my phone. No mention of replacing my phone. I love the phone as a toy but I'm about ready to activate my old razor phone so I can complete one phone call. I never had any problems with my old phone. I recently read that some people tried turning off the wifi. I tried that and actually did not break up coming home today and I have 3 signal lines in the house for the first time. Check it out.