Droix X can't use with wi-fi only

Discussion in 'Droid X Hacks' started by linuxrocks, Sep 12, 2014.

1. linuxrocks

linuxrocks New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

I bought a second used Droid X on ebay, after realizing what a nice little phone it is for me as I don't need all the fancy stuff that the newer big bucks phone can do and they're wicked cheap!!!!

When I received the phone today, it turned out to be a brand spankin' new phone instead of used. I can't complain, the cost was only $27 shipped to my house.

I want to (eventually) root it and maybe try installing a new(er) operating system, most likely Android 4.x. Right now, I want to fire it up and run some tests using the wi-fi in my house (with no cellphone plan). Ultimately, it will never have a cellphone plan and will live it's life exclusively on wi-fi.

So, my problem is that the phone won't let me past the 'register my phone' screen. Obviously, I don't want it registered anyway, but there doesn't seem to be anyway to bypass the signup/register process. The phone even dials a cellphone service provider, but there is no way to tell it I don't want to sign up or register.

I just want to get to the phone to the point where I can enter my wi-fi password, so I can begin to play with my new toy. How do I get past the register process so I can begin to use the phone on my house's wi-fi?

I also need how to's for rooting, backing up the original operating system and installing a newer operating system.

Appreciate any nudge in the right direction.

Art

2. themib

themib Senior Member

Ratings:
    +34
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid 4 (XT894)
  3. linuxrocks

linuxrocks New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks themib, that worked perfectly. I had found the directions before, but had been tapping on the 2 lower parts of the screen in the wrong location. So the graphics in the quoted link made the difference between a paperweight and a useful DroidX.

I'm happily running on wifi only and hope to install a newer OS and root the phone at some point in the near future.

Regards,

Art

4. themib

themib Senior Member

Ratings:
    +34
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid 4 (XT894)
    see [Kitkat] CM11 Android 4.4.4 for the Droid X