DroidX Otterbox Commuter - holster options?

Discussion in 'Droid X Accessories' started by somegeek, Dec 31, 2010.

1. somegeek

somegeek New Member

Subject says it all - curious if there is a holster which will work with the Otterbox Commuter case?

Thanks in advance.
  2. cpjr

cpjr New Member

My pocket is the only one ive found :)
  3. bsc504

bsc504 New Member

Someone posted on this board about a company coming out with a larger case that should fit a DroidX with Commuter shell. I am also looking for a holster for this setup. The case I bought from eBay fits but I need a shoe horn to get it out.
  4. bsc504

bsc504 New Member

Here is a link to the Nite Ize company's website with the Large Size Sideways Holster. It is available 2/1/11 and says it is 5.5" x 3" x 1.7" which should fit this setup with ease.

Clip Case Sideways | Nite Ize
  5. FireDroid

FireDroid New Member

It will fit almost in the Holster case combo, I am going to take a heat gun and try to warm up the sides and bottoms of the holster to fit the commuter.
  6. RWil85

RWil85 New Member

BUMP

Someone has to know of a holster that will fit this phone (with my specs, haha).

I have the DX with ext. battery and a commuter on it..a holster is a must. I'm almost ready to go back to my BB 9650 just for face-in holster.

I would have to think that my setup is a fairly popular one and a holster is an appealing accessory for at least some users..where is it?

PS.
    Just to rule out options as we move along: I purchased and tried the holster that comes with Platinum Case for Droid X from Best Buy...and that didn't work with the aforementioned setup..seems like I'm SOL.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  7. cpjr

cpjr New Member

Honestly dude, I think i'd rather change cases or deal with no holster before I went back to a crappy Blackberry....just because it wont hang from your belt :icon_eek:
  8. RWil85

RWil85 New Member

Haha, ok..maybe I was exaggerating :blackdroid:a bit. But, its very obnoxious at times carrying this large phone around with nowhere convenient to put it. Taking it in and out of a bag is annoying and so is having it in your pocket.

I think a holster, especially for a phone such as this, is important. But, hey, this is just my opinion. I thought more would share the same sentiment.
  9. cpjr

cpjr New Member

Don't get me wrong I would like a holster for the commuter as well ;)
  10. DroidXDawg

DroidXDawg New Member

Get the seidio innocase rugged with holster. The fact that it came with a holster designed to work with case is the main reason I bought it...and I love it!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  11. cpjr

cpjr New Member

I bought the rugged before the commuter was released, this is personal opinion, but I HATED the rugged.........and I love the commuter. The rugged is WAY bigger.
  12. bsc504

bsc504 New Member

I will buy the nite ize one on the 1st and let you know if it fits.
  13. Johnly

Johnly Guest

Trident Kraken....otter box sucks so bad....[​IMG]
  14. DroidXDawg

DroidXDawg New Member

I get the whole bulk deal as a con for those who like to carry in their pocket, but that becomes kinda void with holster carry.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  15. cpjr

cpjr New Member

It's all personal opinion, doesn't become void at all for me, I couldn't even stand to hold the thing, nor did I like the design. But that's me.
  16. bsc504

bsc504 New Member

I just ordered the nite ize large sideways case. Hopefully it fits my DX with an otter box commuter case on it. I will post and let everyone know as soon as I get it.
  17. bsc504

bsc504 New Member

The Nite Ize Sideways LARGE case arrived at my house today. I did not get the leather one because I just wanted to try it out and I didnt want to spend the extra money in case it did not fit.

The Droid X with OtterBox Commuter case on it fits in this case perfect!!!!

The case looks well constructed and has a large 2" belt holster clip that does NOT rotate so the phone will be in a fixed horizontal position. The flap is velcro not magnetic so no worries about car dock mode coming on to drain your battery.
    I would recommend this holster to anyone who is looking for a holster that fits a DX with OtterBox Commuter shell.

Also you cant beat it at $11 something plus shipping.

Google Image Result for http://assets1.androidcentral.com/images/product_images/accessories/additional_images/5438/large/1.jpg

Google Image Result for http://assets1.motorolamagnet.com/images/product_images/accessories/additional_images/5438/large/2.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  18. Janet1025

Janet1025 New Member

Ohh I like! Dislike the Kraken Holster, but love the case, looking for something like this, wonder if it will fit the Kraken case?? is it a tight fit? I ask because Im sure the Kraken is thicker than Commuter..
  19. bigken462

bigken462 New Member

Thanks for your review. I'm now a lil curious. I was hoping you may could touch on a few things for me.

I recently purchased my first DX and with working in public safety, I'm scared to death of damaging this phone. I'm looking for a belt case that I can fit my phone and otterbox in. The main thing is that I need a fail-proof belt holster as possible. The otterbox seems to offer reasonable protection while in use, but I need something more secure for a holster than the plastic belt clip is has.

I was wondering if you could take a look at a post I made last night, and compare with what I'm looking for to what it is you have. You'll find the post here.

I would prefer a vertical pouch since I have a radio and surefire flashlight to carry to keep my belt space to a minimum, but am always open to suggestions on what may work.

I've learned from past experience of loosing phones on wreck scenes that these clip on belt holsters can be a PITA with keeping up with your phone.

Thanks ahead for your opinion.

Kenny

20. bsc504

bsc504 New Member

Janet my DX fits in the case snug but the elastic sides should stretch to fit a phone with a slightly larger case I'm sure. I've never used the Kraken but it looks a bit smaller than the OtterBox defender but larger than my OtterBox Commuter. If I had to guess I would say it would fit your setup as well.

Ken, the holster looks and feels well made and if I actually have one complaint it is that I have trouble getting the holster OFF of my belt loop. When I am wearing my scrubs it also finds the elastic seam and hooks under it so sometimes it doesn't come off easily without me pulling on the holster before removing it. I guess it isn't a bad problem to have as I would hate for it to come off easily. The case does resemble the one you posted about but this is the first time I have purchased a Nite Ize case so I am in evaluation mode now.

I will post If I have any unforeseen problems with the case.

Ill try to answer any more questions you may have.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
Search tags for this page
commuter otterbox for droid x 2

droid 3 otterbox holster

droid x2 commuter holster
droid3 otterbox holster
hob or cvob belt clip for otterbox commuter droid 3
holster for otterbox commuter s3 case
holster that will fit otter box commuter
otter box and holster for droid 3
otterbox commuter holster droid x
otterbox droid x