DroidX Music player and song order

jchiar64

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone else is having this issue. I loaded complete CDs onto my Droid X and it play good but when I play an entire CD it doesn't play them in the order on the CD, they play in Alphabetical order. They are listed 01-0# in the folder on the phone but when I loo at the songs when I am in the player they show up in a-z order. Very frustrating.
Also, does anyone recommend an alternative player that has better? Thanks.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
My CD's show up in album order in the Stock music player and will play in order..

However, I do not use the stock player - so I would recommend MixZing - it also keeps them in album order and plays them in album order unless I select random.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
And welcome to the forums!

You can also check us out over at the Droid X forums.... www.droidxforums.com (they gave us our own site :))

liferefugee

Reaction score
*Edited* removed suggestion now that I have verified it wouldnt work.

Last edited:

pcw

Reaction score
Here's an alternate music player that lists them properly

You're not the only one to discover the ineptitude in the design of the stock music player on the DroidX. Obviously the designers are not into music.

At the suggestion of others on this forum, I downloaded the free Cubed3 music player from the Android Marketplace. In the search field, just type Cubed and look for the dice-looking thing with the little 3 in superscript (like to the third power).

Not only does it list your album tracks in proper order, it'll go online and download album cover art for every album in your device. It's very slick.

Here's a review:
Cubed For Android: A Mesmerizing Music Player: Mobile

Here's a review on YouTube:
[video=youtube;Mm-ezu7AE5s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm-ezu7AE5s]YouTube - "3" Music Player for Android Overview[/video]

And another...
[video=youtube;HeFSNGRDwTE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeFSNGRDwTE&feature=related]YouTube - Cubed Android App Review[/video]

There are other music players, but this one impressed me and I'm a happy camper now. Good luck!
:)

CrashF16

Reaction score
In the stock music player, if you long push the album you will get a menu and you can chose to play the album, which will play all tracks in order. You can also select list, which will list the tracks in album order.

Alex.DF

Reaction score
In the stock music player, if you long push the album you will get a menu and you can chose to play the album, which will play all tracks in order. You can also select list, which will list the tracks in album order.
Wow, thanks for that bit of info . . . I was using Cubed because I preferred listening to my music in album order (used to listen to CDs, good times haha) but I still preferred the stock music player overall. Now I don't have to worry about it, thanks!

OP
J

jchiar64

Reaction score
Crash, I tried what you said and it does play the songs in order, when I touch Play on this menu. Although I do not get the List option within this menu that you mentioned???
Thanks! This answers my question.
I can't imagine why they would build an app that lists the songs in alphabetical order and not in song order as a default. The navigation to play them that Crash provided is not (in my opinion) intuitive. Based on this I think I will examine other players. I downloaded Mixzing and it seems okay. Is the full version worth it? The ads are a distraction but for 7 US I am not sure its worth it to get rid of them. Are there additional features that would make buying it worth it? I am also going to check out the Cubed3 app that PCW recommended. Thanks to all!

pcw

Reaction score
I stand corrected!!!

Thanks, Crash F16. I was not aware of that feature in the stock music player, despite all the searching I previously conducted on the forums back in August regarding the same issue.

So I apologize to the stock music app developers who I previously criticized and also to the OP, who I unintentionally misled.

All the best to all...

Tradd

Reaction score
I assumed "list" means "playlist" - and created a new playlist. And all songs are in album order on playlist.

CrashF16

Reaction score
The list option is also not intuitive...after you've pushed Play to listen in album order, you have to push the list icon, which is the one on the left...three rows, each looks like a period and then a line.

Now you can impress your friends with this knowledge :)

OP
J

jchiar64

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Crash! At least I know that they weren't completely off their rockers when they developed this app. I downloaded "3" and it is an excellent app for music. So far so good. On top of that the interface and navigation is very cool. It also downloaded all the art automatically. Mixzing was okay but I wasn't that impressed. Nice job everyone! I love this forum :)

jer39

Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but how is the sound quality of the music you play on the X when listening with headphones? I'm torn between the X & Fascinate and will likely be making a purchase later today, so this may be a deciding factor, since I'll be using my new phone as my MP3 player.

I've heard that the Fascinate has great sound, but I like that the X comes with an extra 6gb storage out of the box.

Figured those posting on a thread regarding music players might have good opinions on this question.