DROIDX BlueTooth Tethering

PhoKing76

Reaction score
I love my DROIDX. I love Android. I got myself a 32GB Galaxy 10.1 tab on a whim over at BB before I went on a trip. I am no longer rooted on my DROIDX after the OTA update to Gingerbread, so I do not have wifi tether capabilities. I have been looking around a lot about my options to share my signal to my Tab while I am at work. I am a little nervous about VWZ sending me a bill explaining they caught me tethering so I haven't tried anything...until today. I turned on the bluetooth on both devices and when I looked at the tablet it asked me if I wanted to use the DROIDX device for Internet Access? WHA???? I didn't even know about that. But would it re-direct me to the Verizon tether portals I have heard so much about lately? After checking it out, no, it did not. I was able to browse freely. I would like to point out that I am not, nor have I ever been, an abuser of the tethering capabilities. I just do some browsing or maybe some IM's through GV. Can anyone speak as to what VWZ will think of this? It's a great feature to have. I would pay for tether if their pricing was worth it.

Boaty1302

Reaction score
Hey, does the Blue tooth option still work for you??? I am going to buy a Xoom soon and want to do the same thing. Like you, I don't want to piss off Verizon.

gbright666

Reaction score
The bluetooth tethering works flawlessly on my zoom in verizon hasn't said anything yet

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

JScharf92

Reaction score
I love my DROIDX. I love Android. I got myself a 32GB Galaxy 10.1 tab on a whim over at BB before I went on a trip. I am no longer rooted on my DROIDX after the OTA update to Gingerbread, so I do not have wifi tether capabilities. I have been looking around a lot about my options to share my signal to my Tab while I am at work. I am a little nervous about VWZ sending me a bill explaining they caught me tethering so I haven't tried anything...until today. I turned on the bluetooth on both devices and when I looked at the tablet it asked me if I wanted to use the DROIDX device for Internet Access? WHA???? I didn't even know about that. But would it re-direct me to the Verizon tether portals I have heard so much about lately? After checking it out, no, it did not. I was able to browse freely. I would like to point out that I am not, nor have I ever been, an abuser of the tethering capabilities. I just do some browsing or maybe some IM's through GV. Can anyone speak as to what VWZ will think of this? It's a great feature to have. I would pay for tether if their pricing was worth it.

ive been using bluetooth since i had froyo and it still works with gingerbread. never rooted. If you use too much data, your data connection will cut out for a second at which point i always get scared the big V (Verizon) will come after me. havent had any issues yet. I tether it to my macbook.

sorry if that thought was a little unorganized

jasonD

Reaction score
How do you establish this connection? Through the network connections, like if you were going to establish a new wifi connection? Or just through Bluetooth on your computer. Do you do anything to your phone to get the internet? thx!

Boaty1302

Reaction score
Ok friends...

1.) One awesome Android phone...Check.
2.) Tested that Blue Tooth Tethering works...Check. (Had to use wife's Ipad...Booo)
3.) Money to purchase Motorola Xoom with out 3G...Check.
4.) Guts to buy a Tablet with out 3G even though Verizon my turn off the Bluetooth tether...Ceck

I have 2 more questions before I buy. 1.) is it possible to turn off OTA updates from verizon so tht I don't have to worry about a blue tooth patch and do I want to do that? 2.) Does anyone who is currently using the bluetooth to tether think that they wish they had 3G capabilities on their Xoom or Tablet? I.e., is have to tether to the phone ever a pain in the arse?

Boaty1302

Reaction score
The bluetooth tethering works flawlessly on my zoom in verizon hasn't said anything yet

OK, I bought my Xoom. I even tethered the store model to my phone via Bluetooth to make sure it would work. When I got home, the blue tooth tether worked for about five minutes and then no more. Any tips to share?

OP
P

PhoKing76

Reaction score
I have noticed that when tethering, it really runs the battery down on the DROIDX. I usually tether when I have the DROIDX plugged into the charger on my desk. Also, it can be finicky. If it disconnects, I will turn off bluetooth on both units. It seems to really pull the process power out of the DROIDX. So if I were to try and use a program on the X, it takes forever or the program has even crashed. Curiously though, sometimes it doesn't seem to bother the X a bit and I never lose connection either. Anyone else have similar issues?

jasonD

Reaction score
Plz explain how you establish a connection via bluetooth and use the internet. I have made a connection with a laptop but doesnt give internet. What do i need to do?

Boaty1302

Reaction score
bluetooth teher the wifi xoom

Dear friends
I have discovered why my Bluetooth tether no longer works on my brand new Wifi xoom. It is because of the 3.2 Update. I have no idea that this update was available yet. I still thought I was running 3.0 . The only fix I have found is shutting down xoom and rebooting. This fixes problem until you disconnect from the blue tooth device.

If anyone else has any other good advice, please post immediately.

Boaty1302

OP
P

PhoKing76

Reaction score
Boaty- Sorry to hear that. I am running 3.1 on a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tab and its working for me fine still. Maybe someone else with a XOOM can speak to this? Did you get the 3.2 as an OTA update?

Jason - I am not sure about bluetoothing to a PC. The bluetooth on the laptop needs to have the ability to use the connection for internet. Can you pair the 2 together?