Droids Selling for $49.00 - Why Buy Insurance?

jflyer5

Reaction score
I called about porting my home number to an existing account and asked about upgrading my phone. I mentioned that I seen the phone on newegg and would probably purchase from them for 49.99. He asked if I would wait and asked his supervisor if he could match it. Asked him to note it in my account because I new what would happen if he didn't. Called back the next day and order it and should be here tomorrow. I see it's 100 at bestbuy if that don't work for ya. Goodluck

jgumphress

Reaction score
Go to squaretrade.com and check out their warranty. It covers everything including dropping and submersion for two years for around $145 with only a $50 deductable for dropping, all other repairs are free. I have several items covered by them and they will even transfer the warranty at no charge if you sell the item. Large items like my washing machine they cover the home service call.

xliderider

Reaction score
The thing about Squaretrade though is you need to ultimately provide a receipt showing the purchase price. Unless you get a warranty on a Droid you purchased at full retail price, I don't think they will insure it at the full retail price if you bought it at a subsidized contract price. Correct?

Cruzincat1

Reaction score
First post! My droid should be here tomorrow got for $49 bucks by making verizon match neweggs price. I am considering squaretrade insurance because I found a coupon code for 30% off. this equates to 2 years for around 80 bucks. I have thirty days to decide but I am very tempted. reading the fine print is includes no deductable unless you get it wet or leave it in a car with windows down or doors unlocked. Just wanted to share and get a few opinions. Thanks

Which probably means if you just lose it you are out of luck because you won't have a police report, to prove you left it in a locked car. And if your car was broken into, and your phone was stolen, you will be without your phone for a while, while you wait for a police report.

WVOz1970

Reaction score
Which probably means if you just lose it you are out of luck because you won't have a police report, to prove you left it in a locked car. And if your car was broken into, and your phone was stolen, you will be without your phone for a while, while you wait for a police report.

Squaretrade does not cover loss. Only damage or failure.

The thing about Squaretrade though is you need to ultimately provide a receipt showing the purchase price. Unless you get a warranty on a Droid you purchased at full retail price, I don't think they will insure it at the full retail price if you bought it at a subsidized contract price. Correct?
I'm not sure on this one... have to read up. When you purchase the plan, you have to select their "Premium" one which actually shows a picture of the Droid. It is covered "up to $599". That's where I need to read up... not positive, but I believe they will cover "replacement up to" without a stipulation on original cost. I've had a couple warranties from them on eBay stuff. Thankfully, I've never had to use my warranties... but I've gotten very positive reviews of their service, so I'm hoping they are good for it if I ever do need to use them.

I'm leaning towards a warranty from them on my Droid. Just got it yesterday and I need to make a decision soon.

joker402

Reaction score
jusr beacuse the phone is 50 with a 2 year upgrade doesnt mean the $500 full retail price will go away.

I dont pay the verizon asurion inusrance, i pay protectcell 70 for a year and if any thing happens 50 gets me a new phone, i only get a year because i have phones usally less than 10 months

WVOz1970

Reaction score
Here's what SquareTrade says about amounts...

• Repair or Reimburse Based on what happened to your phone, we will let you know if it's suitable for replacement, repair, or reimbursement.
    • For replacement, we will provide you with the same or an equivalent model phone.
    • For reimbursements, we will pay you the replacement cost of the phone, up to a maximum of the amount selected above, or the price you paid which is listed on your item receipt, whichever is less. If accidental damage was the cause of the failure, we will subtract a $50 deductible from the payout.
So I guess if they decide to replace it, you are good. If they opt to reimburse, it will only be for the amount on the receipt.

lovelyhistorymom

Reaction score
I purchased insurance on my Droid. I'm not accident prone, I'm careful with my tech. Never had one stolen. Have incurred some damage to former phones. (Cracked screen on one...my carelessness...dropped another in water...pure, unadulterated accident...) but other then that it's great.

I have also never had one phone that something didn't fail just before my 2 yr contract was up. Most of the time it is a system failure of some sort, and not a result of my negligence. And I've never had insurance on a phone before but given the price of a Droid and my luck I went ahead this time and purchased the full plan from my provider. $7 a month is great to cover sysfail, water & drop damage, stolen...whatever.

I am now firmly convinced modern phones are not built to last the duration of a two year contract. So there.

At any rate, I'd rather dump money slowly then painfully fork over $500 if I bust my Droid.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
jusr beacuse the phone is 50 with a 2 year upgrade doesnt mean the $500 full retail price will go away.

I dont pay the verizon asurion inusrance, i pay protectcell 70 for a year and if any thing happens 50 gets me a new phone, i only get a year because i have phones usally less than 10 months

I believe i was told that the co pay is 90.00. I just signed up for insurance. I have heard some people have grandfather their payments but I believe the deductible I'm quoting is correct.

joker402

Reaction score

I believe i was told that the co pay is 90.00. I just signed up for insurance. I have heard some people have grandfather their payments but I believe the deductible I'm quoting is correct.
yea i sell verizon and its 7.99 a month with 90 dect. but we also sell protectcell which is 70 for a year 50 dect. of course the drct goes up too 100 on the next claim but i havent had to make a claim yet