Droid's GPS

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by anabolix, Dec 12, 2009.

1. anabolix

anabolix Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This gps while new is simply amazing. It beats my 2 year old Garmin nuvi by a long shot. The directions are more accurate, it's fast, and more detailed. Not to mention it has tons of features the Garmin does not.

I tried it out today to go to a mall I have never ever driven too, and I got there with ease! :icon_ banana:

amazing stuff, I LOVE MY PHONE!!!!:heart:

2. tripp racioppi

tripp racioppi New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hey anabolix!! I too am thrilled with my Droid...i have tried the GPS and directions functions and, like you, found them to be really accurate. The only thing I was not able to get to work (I think because I haven't a clue how to enable it) was to get the voice directions... I used my old PDA holder in my car; not the one Verizon tried to sell me when I got the Droid...

Do you have to use that???

:wacko:

3. proav

proav New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The phone does not need to be in a dock to use the voice function. Just be sure to select "Navigate" from the menu if you just did a search for you destination. You can also go into the main menu and select "Car Home" and it will bring up the same menu as the car dock station would. There is a option to "get directions" also but that will not give the voice commands. Hope this helps.

4. xliderider

xliderider Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Though good, I don't think Google Navigation is as informative as my Garmin Nuvi 360. The Garmin will tell you to keep left, stay to the right, take exit XX on the right, etc. Google Navigation just tells you to take exit XX, it doesn't tell you which side of the multilane freeway the exit is. It also doesn't tell you to get in the left lane, or right lane for upcoming interchanges.

5. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7+ 256gb
    But there is a Directional arrow that does just that....

6. xliderider

xliderider Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, but I don't have to look at the nuvi to know where to go. Therefore, the nuvi is "better". ;)

Also, I don't find the voice on the Google Navigation very pleasant, quite the opposite in fact. Google Navigation also doesn't say "recalculating" when you have passed/missed a turn.

7. bennyj

bennyj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It tells me to take exit on the right or left, and also to stay to the left or right at the fork! It will also tell you the street names that you can make a u turn on, the Nuvi will just tell you to make the Next legal U turn.

8. tripp racioppi

tripp racioppi New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, guys!!
    Well, the other night I set up my Droid to give me a turn-by-turn back home. Proav, your info was on target! got the voice no problem. As to the other comments in this thread:

I agree, the voice would have been more pleasant with a nice French girl, but not too bad.

She certainly did not like it when I passed the turns she wanted me to take. Knowing the traffic patterns I took an alternate route...she kept telling me in X feet make a U-turn at >>> street, then was very insistant...then, I could almost hear her say "well OK, if you're going to be that way about it...go 1/4 mile to...." But I was impressed with its accuracy.

Yes, it does not tell you which lane to be in, but it does give you enough heads-up time for you to see what lane you need to be in by looking at the signs....

Can you ask it to do an alternate route like you can Google Maps on-line? Droid wants you to go Interstate, but there are some Interstates I want to avoid; like I-95 N going towards DC....not my favorite route...

thanks for all the inputs.....r3

:greendroid: