Droid's Android 2.1 Update: Full of Multitouch (and Some Disappointment)

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
You all seem to think Google is behind all of this. They are not. They release the source code to the phone manufacturers and they are the ones to decide how, or even whether, to provide the update for their phones. Some people will see this as a weakness. I choose to see it as a strength. no way you can get a customized user experience on an iPhone. HTC has Sense, Motorola has MotoBlur, Acer has their "Enhanced user experience", etc...

The idea of 'enhanced user experience' as you gave isn't what's in question. That is even seen on WM phones (HTC most notably with their UI). But Google is responsible for BASIC features within the OS (multi-touch, Nav ect., app launchers ect.) that creates a basic competition between devices aside from what (in addition) the phone manufactures decide to put on.

Again if you look at WM or BB devices if the phones have the same version of the OS they have the same underlying features and capabilities. Now with the fragmentation of 2.1 and the previous fragmentation of version 1.*s there are several phone with the same OS version but EACH have DIFFERENT native (i.e. OS related) features... so the user is now forced to choose which phone they want based on the FEATURES it has rather than the FORM and that will NOT be good for overall acceptance of the devices (or the OS).

rkeller62

Reaction score
The idea of 'enhanced user experience' as you gave isn't what's in question. That is even seen on WM phones (HTC most notably with their UI). But Google is responsible for BASIC features within the OS (multi-touch, Nav ect., app launchers ect.) that creates a basic competition between devices aside from what (in addition) the phone manufactures decide to put on.

Again if you look at WM or BB devices if the phones have the same version of the OS they have the same underlying features and capabilities. Now with the fragmentation of 2.1 and the previous fragmentation of version 1.*s there are several phone with the same OS version but EACH have DIFFERENT native (i.e. OS related) features... so the user is now forced to choose which phone they want based on the FEATURES it has rather than the FORM and that will NOT be good for overall acceptance of the devices (or the OS).

And Google IS providing those basic features to the phone manufacturers. If they decide not to implement how is that Google's fault? BTW - I find fault with your WM analogy - I had a Motorola Q9c before I got my Droid. Motorola (at Verizon's request I am sure) REMOVED core functionality that had been provided to them by Microsoft in WM. Not to mention the fact that I got exactly 1 update for my phone in the 2+ years that I had it. I have had the Droid for a little over 2 months and am expecting my 2nd update within the next week. WM updates were MUCH less frequent and were often given a pass by either the phone manufacturer or carrier for existing phones. I am sure that the fact that the OS was not free from M$ had something to do with that.

The whole beauty of Android IS that it is sooooo customizable. don't like 3 home screens? there is an app to give you 4, 5, 7... Don't like the look of stock Android?? Buy one with MotoBlur, or Sense UI. If you want the exact same experience regardless of phone/carrier buy a Blackberry, an iPhone or a WM phone.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
And Google IS providing those basic features to the phone manufacturers. If they decide not to implement how is that Google's fault? BTW - I find fault with your WM analogy - I had a Motorola Q9c before I got my Droid. Motorola (at Verizon's request I am sure) REMOVED core functionality that had been provided to them by Microsoft in WM. Not to mention the fact that I got exactly 1 update for my phone in the 2+ years that I had it. I have had the Droid for a little over 2 months and am expecting my 2nd update within the next week. WM updates were MUCH less frequent and were often given a pass by either the phone manufacturer or carrier for existing phones. I am sure that the fact that the OS was not free from M$ had something to do with that.

The whole beauty of Android IS that it is sooooo customizable. don't like 3 home screens? there is an app to give you 4, 5, 7... Don't like the look of stock Android?? Buy one with MotoBlur, or Sense UI. If you want the exact same experience regardless of phone/carrier buy a Blackberry, an iPhone or a WM phone.

Well I can't speak to your WM experience from your Moto phone but it's different on HTC and others (lmao, one of the reasons this is my first Moto phone is more than 10 years). As to the 'customizable experience' in all honesty Android, at this point isn't really that much more customizable than WM phones. Sure there's OEM UIs, same on WM phones. Sure there's custom cooked ROMs (if your rooted) same on WM. There are/were less 'updates' for WM because (understandably) it's a more mature product that already has the basics down. The only reason the app market is needed for MANY users is because so many BASIC features have been left OUT of the OS (contact management, basic email features, and SO many system features/resources)....

There comes a point were using the 'customizable experience' marketing strategy actually becomes BS for "we didn't bother with this but if you want it maybe someone else will make an app for it". In all honesty aside from the basic look/layout of a my old WM device (which was easily fixed with some basic theme cooking) I didn't NEED to 'customize' the ROM because it already DID what I needed it. I find it hilarious so many people are using the 'it's customizable' line as an catch-all for obvious lackings in the OS.

With that said I like the phone and support the OS. I'm just trying to bring a little reality to Android users and keep them from getting as fanboyish (and defensive) as iPhony (Apple) users which I find HIGHLY ANNOYING. There are flaws in the product. Acknowledge them, accept them and move on:icon_ banana::icon_ banana: that's how a product gets BETTER (not by ignore them or passing them on as Apple does).

Last edited:

rkeller62

Reaction score
Well I can't speak to your WM experience from your Moto phone but it's different on HTC and others (lmao, one of the reasons this is my first Moto phone is more than 10 years). As to the 'customizable experience' in all honesty Android, at this point isn't really that much more customizable than WM phones. Sure there's OEM UIs, same on WM phones. Sure there's custom cooked ROMs (if your rooted) same on WM. There are/were less 'updates' for WM because (understandably) it's a more mature product that already has the basics down. The only reason the app market is needed for MANY users is because so many BASIC features have been left OUT of the OS (contact management, basic email features, and SO many system features/resources)....

There comes a point were using the 'customizable experience' marketing strategy actually becomes BS for "we didn't bother with this but if you want it maybe someone else will make an app for it". In all honesty aside from the basic look/layout of a my old WM device (which was easily fixed with some basic theme cooking) I didn't NEED to 'customize' the ROM because it already DID what I needed it. I find it hilarious so many people are using the 'it's customizable' line as an catch-all for obvious lackings in the OS.

With that said I like the phone and support the OS. I'm just trying to bring a little reality to Android users and keep them from getting as fanboyish (and defensive) as iPhony (Apple) users which I find HIGHLY ANNOYING. There are flaws in the product. Acknowledge them, accept them and move on:icon_ banana::icon_ banana: that's how a product gets BETTER (now by ignore them or passing them on as Apple does).

I am no phanboy and am more than willing to acknowledge shortcomings. It appears though that you should have stuck with WM as you keep singing it's praises. I had 2 WM devices (One built by HTC) and disliked both of them. They were sluggish, locked up had few and expensive apps and were, generally, what you would expect from M$. A lot of people like what WM offers (fewer and fewer though by the looks of WM market penetration) and I certainly don't knock them for their preference. It is ALL about choice. Choose what works for you and let me choose what works for me. If you don't like the strategy/direction of Android - vote with your wallet and buy something else.

I now retire my soapbox. :motdroidvert:

Foolish

Reaction score
Android is customizable and to an extent its up to manufacturers to give us the oppurtunity to be so customizable. I don't see that as the point nor do I see updates all the time as a point either. What I see is a lot of consumers getting pissed calling shenanigans and leaving a google experience because they have to fork out more and m/ore money just to get the latest os. We are not even talking hardware were talking os. With an iphone I know if I bought a 3gs then I will get the latest os, minus hardware specific updates every year until the phone is absolutley obsolete. In this case 4 years later the original iphone still gets updated. Which is great with new every two. With android a phone I bought six months ago is obsolete because it will not allow for the same features..........shoot forget six I bought my droid 3 months ago and obviously its already headind down that path. I think that's b.s. and is something google needs to enforce as part of that alliance. Mix tbhis with the fact that games and apps on the market place work with some not others and vice versa and google has a recipe for bend over and let steve jobs and good uncle bill show you how to squeal like a pig. I love my phone but if its going to be one of those well 3.0 comes out in may and I just got half of 2.1 so motorola tells me sorry buy the new shadow I'm getting my broomstick and we'll......

cisco0910

Reaction score
what websites do you guys wanna be able to view when flash its available? the ones I frequent don't need it. just curious, maybe I'll want flash to hurry up as well.

sarreq

Reaction score
I really hate to say this, but this really IS why the Iphone has an advantage. The updates are global to the equipment, not who makes the phone. This is the same regret I had as a Blackberry user.
only because apple is the only company who actually MAKES the iPhone

nikolatesla20

Reaction score
what websites do you guys wanna be able to view when flash its available? the ones I frequent don't need it. just curious, maybe I'll want flash to hurry up as well.

Hulu and any site with embedded video.

Even if flash does come, I'm doubting that we will be allowed to watch HULU on our phones. Case in point - the PS3 has a full web browser and supports flash, and USED to be able to watch HULU until HULU started BLOCKING it. No doubt they will also block cell phones from viewing as well!

So I wouldn't be getting all excited about this ability. Chances are it will be locked out.

-niko

cooperma

Reaction score
Ok, so i dont know if this was brought up or not, but since we are being upgraded to 2.1, cant some one put in the live wallpapers.apk, similar to what happened with the 3D App Grid? Since the live wallpaper code should be put in the 2.1 code?

K

kbatrph

i stopped in to the local Verizon store today....they are saying April is the tentative release date for Android 2.1......supposedly Flash Player will be included, but i don't believe anything these people say

johall07

Reaction score
i stopped in to the local Verizon store today....they are saying April is the tentative release date for Android 2.1......supposedly Flash Player will be included, but i don't believe anything these people say

i was in yesterday and the guy had no idea lol stupid verizon....i also asked the guy working there to see his droid then i showed him mine with all the customizations and such and he tried to tell me he could do the same things and failed miserably

big.daddy

Reaction score
as it stands this moment, i feel that the android platform is the best out there in terms of use and customization. BUT, with all the fragmentation of the os's, and the limitations of the droids (motorola) hardware, i dont think the droid will get another update past 2.1 (maybe minor updates). Because of this and MY rare use of the physical keyboard, i am considering selling my Droid and getting something with a little more power. I do have my phone overclocked but, i dont feel safe going over 800 when the phone is only rated at 550-600. So far it is the best phone i have had but, i never expected it to be "old news" so fast.

srtfool32

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
used a nexus one today and reading the new motorola screw yeah, nexus one here i come. if moto really leaves so much out, ill get a n1, my girl can have my droid. love my droid but the i hate motorola and decide to go with them one more time and seems there gonna do it again.