Droidmod vs BB

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by hlowmaster, Mar 20, 2010.

1. hlowmaster

hlowmaster New Member

hey whats the easiest way to go from droidmod installed to BB? thanks
  2. Mercutio

Mercutio New Member

Because DM is 2.01, you'll have to use the Nandroid Method, which Pete describes in the first post of his ROM's thread.

Per Pete:

Nandroid Backup Installation Instructions:
    -Update & backup any files you wish to restore, this will wipe /data
    -Extract the files from the archive using WinRAR or a similar program
    -Place the extracted folder (the ROM) into the "nandroid" folder on your sdcard
    -Reboot into recovery mode (hold the power and "x" button at the same time)
    -Wipe data/factory reset (do this twice!)
    -Wipe cache partition (do this twice!)
    -Backup/Restore
    -Advanced Nandroid Restore
    -Choose backup (select the ROM)
    -Perform Restore
    -Enjoy!
  3. hlowmaster

hlowmaster New Member

thanks man.. thats wha ti was wondering
  4. hlowmaster

hlowmaster New Member

when u do the nandroid and it says select the rom choose backup ( select rOM) do you select system or update.zip?
  5. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Check out the last link in my signature. No sense in asking a bunch of redundant questions.
  6. charrod796

charrod796 New Member

COuldnt seem to find what you are refferring to just say should we do system or update.zip
  7. gregrob

gregrob New Member

If you arent already using a 2.1 rom you CAN NOT use the update.zip method.

Do an advanced nandroid backup of your current configuration.

Download and unzip the bugless beast v0.9 files in the thread above

Make a folder on the ROOT of your sdcard

Install unzipped files there (should be 4)

reboot recovery

wipe data and cache

advanced nandroid restore

select folder you created

let it do its thing

then you can install chevy or adamz kernel if you want to OC and adamz smoked glass for a little touch up on the theme.

The link matthew was referring to is here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...-phone-2-1-rom-o-c-mm-boot-animation-etc.html

Start at STEP 27 if you're already rooted.
  8. gregrob

gregrob New Member

27. Hold 'x' and power button to boot into recovery as in step 5 above. You won't get the exclamation point this time. Rather you will be booted right into the recovery.

28. READ THE RED COLORED TEXT SO THAT YOU KNOW HOW TO NAVIGATE THE MENU.

29. Choose 'backup/restore'.

30. Choose 'Advanced Nandroid backup'.

31. Choose 'Set backup name'.

32. Type a descriptive name for your backup and press enter.
    For example, I always make mine something like: BuglessBeastOne, BuglessBeastTwo, etc.

33. Choose 'Perform backup'. The chances of you screwing something up without specifically trying to are pretty slim, but we are going to do this just to be sure. An image of your phone's current state will now be made. It will take a couple minutes. With this backup you can always revert back if you don't like the ROM. Keep in mind if you revert back to this image, you will still be rooted with sprecovery. Also keep in mind that you can redo steps 29-33 to do a complete back up of your phone ANY TIME you want.

Now you are rooted with SPRecovery, you are backed up with Nandroid, and you are almost ready to install Bugless Beast. The purpose of this recovery image to EASILY flash back to what you had before installing from steps 34 and on. We are going to WIPE ALL DATA before we actually install the ROM so this backup is just to have something to revert back to...reboot the phone by hitting the power button one press at a time until you are back to the main recovery menu, then hit reboot system. When it loads into the operating system go ahead and plug in your USB and mount your SD card.

The moment you've been waiting for...Installing Bugless Beast (or some other ROM)...

The latest version of Bugless Beast is v0.9 dated 18 March 2010. The original thread can be located here. The changelog is located here.

It should be noted that while I say Bugless Beast, you can feel free to substitute ANY Nandroid backup from ANY ROM in it's place. Where it tells you to download the Nandroid backup in Step 36 just download a different one (Ultimate Droid, Smoked Glass, Simply Stunning, etc etc etc).

34. We need to back up all of our apps and whatnot before we continue because we have to wipe data and system before we actually install this ROM, so please read this step carefully. My suggestion to you is to use Titanium Backup from the Market (free) and pay the $4.00 donation and get your upgrade key because it makes the whole process quicker. You have to manually send him 3.99 or more via PayPal then he sends you a key. Basically you just take the text file he sends you and put it on the root of the SD card and you are good to go.

You can also back up using SPR and just restore ONLY the /data part but we are going to do the Titanium Backup way in this guide. Whether you have the free or paid version you will open up Titanium Backup. If it gives you an error about BusyBox, DO NOT CONTINUE. Click the problems button and download BusyBox. Make sure it says success or this whole thing won't work. Sometimes it fails several times before working (in my experience) so be patient.

Once you get BusyBox installed Click the Backup/Restore tab, hit the Menu>Batch option. You will have a ton of options really. The two main options we are concerned about are "Backup all user apps + system data" and "Backup all user apps (running apps will be auto-ended)". Personally, when switching to a new version ROM, I prefer to ONLY backup my applications, and not my system settings etc. There tend to be too many chances for conflict if you backup both. The apps should be about half the apps+system. Do whichever you want, but like I said, I usually just do the apps. In the future once this ROM is installed and I am only doing update.zip methods and whatnot, I would feel more comfortable backing up everything.

Click RUN and it will take you to a screen that allows you to individually select or deselect all your apps that will be backed up. By default they are all checked. Click "Run the Batch Operation" and let it work it's magic.

If you want to backup your bookmarks in the stock browser, go back to the Backup/Restore tab and find [BOOKMARKS] Browser 2.0.1, click, and choose create backup.

35. This is where things start to get completely different.
    In the past we have used the update.zip method to install things. For your first time installing a 2.1 ROM we are going to use the Nandroid Backup method. Plug your phone into your computer and mount your phone as you did before. Browse the phone's SD card and find the folder called 'nandroid'. In this folder you should have at least one sub-folder from where you backed up in the earlier steps with SPR. Create a new sub-folder within the 'nandroid' folder...I called mine "BuglessBeast2.1".

36. Download Bugless Beast 2.1 Nandroid Backup from here. If you are trying to upgrade from a 2.1 version of the ROM, head to step 90. EXTRACT THE CONTENTS of the rar file with WinRAR or similar program into the folder you just created. Your folder should be something like /sdcard/nandroid/BuglessBeast2.1 with four files in it: system.tar (about 90MB), data.tar (about 40MB), nandroid.md5 (less than 1KB), and boot.img (about 3.7MB). What we just did here was take Pete's personal Nandroid backup that he made and made available for us to use. Think about it like this: if we backed up like we did previously using SPR and then loaned that backup to someone else to put on their SD card.

37. Power off the phone.

38. Reboot into SPRecovery by powering on the phone and holding in the X key on the hardware keyboard, just like you did before.

39. Choose wipe data/factory reset and let it do it's thing. Then do the same for wipe cache partition. Here we are wiping all the crap on your phone to make it a clean install.

40. Choose backup/restore.

41. Choose Advanced Nandroid Restore and once inside that menu click "Choose Backup." Pick the backup that you JUST made (not the first one we did, the one that you just manually added to the SD card...in my case, BuglessBeast2.1).

42. Choose Perform Restore (see below for typical Nandroid errors). Technically even though it seems like we are installing, we are actually using Pete's Bugless Beast BACKUP to RESTORE onto our phone.

Nandroid error codes with known issue

14 - Seems to happen when applying a .rom.tgz format. There is too many extensions at the end (I.e. .rom.tgz.tgz, needs to be .rom.tgz) Also could be caused by exracting a .rom.tgz . These files need to be left as a .rom.tgz file.

21 - The file name of the folder has a space in it. ( I.e. nandroid/sample rom, needs to be nandroid/samplerom)

25 - The rom is in too many subfolders. ( I.e. nandroid/samplerom/samplerom, it needs to be nandroid/samplerom

28 - The rom is corrupt somehow, simple redownload or pick another mirror site.

34 - This is when doing a backup and there isn't enough space on the sdcard. Delete some files to make room and start again.

35 - The name for the backup is too many characters. Simply rename.

43. Hit the power button twice, and then choose reboot.

44. One thing I do if I have any issues at first is a) wait a few minutes to let it start up for the first time, and b) dial *228 and choose option 2 to have the phone reset roaming capabilities.

9. gregrob

gregrob New Member

All credit above to "Matth3w"
  10. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

It's crazy, that even though all this time has went by, and BB is now 2.1 while DroidMod is still 2.0.1, and DroidMod STILL comes out superior :D
  11. Riddick

Riddick New Member

What's so special about Droidmod?
  12. triphop631

triphop631 New Member

I would like to know also. I used Droidmod since they released it. I just went over to BB v0.9 and have to say it is one hell of a rom. To me it is better then Droidmod in everyway. Faster more stable and it has the 2.1 software.
  13. Mercutio

Mercutio New Member

Droidmod is pretty outdated at the moment.
  14. mrdroid

mrdroid New Member

DroidMod = OEM release + SU + Bugs