DroidMod State of Affairs

Discussion in 'Droid Mod' started by pthance, Mar 14, 2010.

1. pthance

pthance Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is pulled from the DroidMod Forum. It was written by sgx (taz) one of the DM developers. Original text can be found here:

The state of affairs as seen through my eyes, a look on what?s going on.

Some people seem a bit confused, and I can see why.

Before the big fiasco, we were using Mercurial as our version control system, and all our repositories were on the old server. For reasons I'd rather not go into, we lost all content on the old server, including the source repositories. Our saving grace is that Mercurial stores the entire repository on the developers machine as he/she works on it, so we lost very little actual data. It came down to finding out who had the most recent officially committed copy of each repository, and hoping that the repository was intact.

This took time, because nobody is ever prepared for massive data loss, and quite frankly nobody was prepared for this. We are working on finding a suitable mirror for the repositories right now to prevent this from happening in the future.

The decision to use git as our new VCS was made for many reasons, but the decision was mostly made because it is what AOSP , kernel.org, and TI use. This means pulling in the latest and greatest from those projects will be easier, and our long-term goal of an AOSP based fully open-source release will be that much easier to attain.

Migrating the salvaged repositories to git and fixing the dependencies some of the utilities had on Mercurial is taking time, and during that time work on the tools and the project as a whole has understandably slowed.

If you step back and look at the big picture, DM1.0 was pushed out within days, right after a catastrophic meltdown. It's hit everyone hard, and we're regrouping our collective efforts.

ESE53 was dropped a week ago, and everyone flocked to it like it was a godsend. My personal opinion is that it just spawned a cookie-cutter copy paste fest to release the "newest" thing, and gain fame and fortune. I like to think that we as a whole are not headed down that path. I am unsure what the official word is, so I can not give a yes/no answer as to whether we will have a DroidMod release based off of it.

If you do look at it, DM1.0 was released about 3 weeks ago, and it still works fine. If ESE53 being leaked is the only reason you want a new rom, realize that it took at least 3 months to get the current version of DroidMod where it is now.

Also, most of the people working on this project are in either in college, have a job, family, kids, wife, girlfriend, you name it. We try to devote our all to furthering the community, but we have to do things for ourselves too.

If you think you can help, by all means let us know by email or IRC.

I hinted at Project Durden in my earlier post, so I might as well break the first rule and exlplain it.

The long-term goal is to build off of the Android Open Source Project, including our enhancements and tweaks along the way. The plan is to have a fully open source user-space platform that is not tied to a rigid release schedule, and can be configured easily with minimum effort.

This is quite an undertaking, but Koush and Cyanogen have paved the way to make it easier, and hat's off to them for all their hard work.

I leave you with these parting words,

We are here today because we have found the brilliance and flaws in other peoples works, and added to them or mended them to create a greater whole.

DroidMod isn't the work of one team, but the work of literally thousands of people, focused, extracted, purified, distilled. We stand on the shoulders of giants.

2. nphil

nphil Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I must say, great post! Hats off to you SGX.

Also loved this part
    DroidMod: the next CyanogenMOD? (For Droid ofcourse, and excluding Koush's amazing work)

3. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    This is so great to hear....

4. JonKyu

JonKyu Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Amazing news! Can't wait to see what they come up with! :icon_ banana:

5. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,404
    I was just about to install the cyanogen mod rom 5.0.4.2; actually the error dump message prevented it. I think Ima wait for you guys. My phone works, I like what it can do.
    Keep up the work thanks for providing us some insight; I wish we can get motorola to follow that process. If you guys can make a Rom similar yo the cyanogen 5.0.4.2 that would be good