DroidMod doesn't want me to leave!

Discussion in 'Droid Mod' started by Shanged, May 3, 2010.

1. Shanged

Shanged Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all, I've been a pretty faithful DM user for the past month or so, but every now and then I like to try other things. DM does not share my feelings.
    It seems whenever I use Rom Manager to switch, something doesn't stick. I have tried CyanogenMod a number of times, as well as 2.1 Stock + root. Each time I switch, I do a nandroid backup of DM (using sprecovery), clear all data/caches twice and flash a ROM. Each time I boot into a new ROM my phone seems to run a lot hotter, and various problems arise. Cyanogen doesn't like to run, my phone just reboots periodically (lets say every 15 minutes or so, whenever I do something strenuous. 2.1 stock was missing the Market and Facebook apps. What is that? Anyway. Is Rom manager the problem, or does DM just have its claws soundly in my Droid?

Every time I go back to DM things are just as they were, great battery life, speed and overall experience. I have almost no glitches other than the lack of various 2.1 luxuries (a truly seemless native browser, google earth).

2. R1Lover

R1Lover Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would suggest a full wipe when changing ROM's and also not using any type of restore for anything at all.... if you have apps that you can't get, place them on your sdcard and install with astro.

3. LtKen

LtKen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I just jumped the DM ship myself, and I ran into problems with data on my SD card. Long story short, doing a format of my SD card fixed all my problems....

Part of your problem is that you're using SPRecovery. ROM Manager works with ClockworkMod recovery, so you'll need to install it with RM (first option). After that, see what you can get to happen.

4. Shanged

Shanged Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I do switch between CM and SP recoveries when doing this, I believe you can't use ROM Manager without doing so. I also have done this with and without Titanium Backup (the Market usually does a good job of re-installing all of my DLed apps!)

A format of the SDCard could be a good idea, I just hate formatting things, losing something I don't even know I have ;)

5. LtKen

LtKen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +3
    My bad -- my brain isnt functioning properly.

I simply backed up the SD card to my PC, formatted it, and put the data back on it, and all my problems vanished. Weird, I know, but it worked.

Also, like the previous poster, make sure you're wiping data when you go change ROMs, especially from DM to any 2.1-based ROM.

6. B-Unit

B-Unit Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Yea, I create a folder on my PC called SDCardBackup# (# being whichever iteration Im on, up to 3 at this point). Then after the format, generally I only bring back my nandroid, Music, and Pics folders, and let the phone rebuild everything else. This is my personal preferance, as I know apps store certain temp stuff on the SD card and if you want to keep that you need to copy those folders back as well.

7. actngrezy

actngrezy Active Member
    Developer

Ratings:
    +2
    You said you make a backup then you clear all data and what not. do you clear all data using sprecoveey then flash clockwork then load the rom? Just confused if you were using clockwork or sprecovery for you backups? i would suggest flashing clockwork then wiping your data and everything through clockwork then load the new rom through clockwork or just use sprecovery download the nandroid to your sdcard and use sprecovery to wipe and load the rom.
    I was just confused in how your were doing this because if you make a backup w sp then reboot and flashclockwork it would seem as though you would have to wipe and load through clockwork and not bounce between the 2.
    Also you could do an adb format of your data system and cache....i believe clo kwork has that option w o using adb but hou coukd try that. it should wipe and remaining flies the wipe might have missed.